RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any 6.5x55 reloaders here

Thanks wessom357, Duly noted for future reference as I don't have those powders.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    I found 18 gns/2207 behind a Saeco 140 bore rider works for me! Cheers Mal in au.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder1cav View Post
    I know that this is a month old thread, but I also wanted to throw my thanks in to Larry Gibson, the Dutchman, Noblade and others on here for some great info.
    I was shooting a M-38 Swede with cast bullets at the military matches down at Fort Mojave, AZ this winter and did great with the Lyman 150 (673? sized .268") mold of water cooled wheel weights with16.5 of 4227 behind it. After winning the last match a couple weeks ago, the guys said "Is it about time you go back to Idaho?"
    I have found a 1899 M-96 Oberndorf with the Soderin peep sight that I have been doing load development the last few days. Same bullet behind 14.2 of 2400 is giving me 5/8"H X 1-1/2"W at 100Y. most my scoped rifles won't do that! And with 78 year old eyes to boot!
    Again, thanks guys for the good info.
    PS. Larry, next winter I would like to get together for coffee sometime since we are the same vintage & spent the same time 'In-country'.
    Denny
    Be my pleasure to meet up with you. Might get some shootin' in too! PM me for my address and phone number when you're back down.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

This comes at a good time.
    This past weekend was cold and rainy, so I cleaned up my old Steyr infantry rifle. 6.5x53R
    Bore looks pretty good, I had ordered some 170 gr gas checked pills from Gardners so I thought I'd try it out.
    I have a most of the powders mentioned except A 2400, this should make a good start. The speeds mentioned also are what I'm looking for.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had good luck w/ my M96 using a NOE mold that makes a 140 grain round nose bullet w/ lots of lube grooves(Loverin design?). I use 16.5 grains of IMR4227.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajohns View Post
    This comes at a good time.
    This past weekend was cold and rainy, so I cleaned up my old Steyr infantry rifle. 6.5x53R
    Bore looks pretty good, I had ordered some 170 gr gas checked pills from Gardners so I thought I'd try it out.
    I have a most of the powders mentioned except A 2400, this should make a good start. The speeds mentioned also are what I'm looking for.
    Above posts are about 6.5x55 Swede, the loads are going to be close but not exact equivalents. I'd post my 6.5x53R/6.5x54 loads but I'm comfortably ensconced in the La-z-boy for the evening.

And I'll second the 14 grains of 2400 being a great load as quoted in several posts and Lyman's #44. I've used it under 2 Lyman boolits in the 130-140 range and the Lee 170 cruise missile.

And I even used reformed undersized 270 Winchester brass for the loads and didn't shoot my eye out

Yes, am aware. Thank you.
    I have the bore all cleaned out and ready to start this week. I was going to try the 10gr Unique load first, then some of the other number powders. 4198, 4227 specifically.

Those are good choices, Johns, especially the 10gr. Unique.

Btw, for all reading this topic, I have a 3x used set of Hornady New Dimension 6.5 x 55mm FL dies for sale (excellent condition). PM me if interested.

Boolit Buddy

i would love to but finding a 156 gr or 160 gr mold has been the stumbling block for me. I have a 1907 M94 bubba'd with a peep sight that shoot 160 RN very well!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Have you tried NOE or Accurate Moulds, PS?

Accurate don't make 6.5 caliber moulds

I did have some success with my 6.5x53r
    Took a lot of cleaning, a few times slugging to get a good reading, but with a boolit that could be line to line for some of the groove (6.5, 160gr from Steinel) it worked out ok for now. Just 10grs of Unique and a Fed 215 primer, doubt it's more than 1400fps out of this 31" barrel. I know its a hot primer but I have many of them and not so many standard. Bore slugged near as I can read, .269 and so is this boolit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.52.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	300650
    50 yds is kind of a lie. Range finder showed about 40. My paces are more, ha.

Name:	6.51.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	300651
    But, the bore was plenty dirty.
    This is Hecules Unique, a bore that was a real pain to get nice, and I did even do alox treatment to the slugs along with the company's lube on the boolit.
    Just thought I'd pass this along.
    Last edited by Ajohns; 05-27-2022 at 11:24 AM.

I should maybe add some to this. For some reason a couple pictures didn't go through from my end. The boolits are available online, and I seated them to just where the gascheck would be at the bottom of the neck diameter. The nose just was getting engraved by rifling, fit fine in the magazine. You can see it's a bore rider design, but I forget the diameter of it. I think around .262 maybe? The formed brass (from a seller on Gunbroker) is very well made from 303 Brit. For my chamber, the diameter of the bottle neck shoulder area is .020 under from a fired case. The rounds used for the target have been once fired by me, and just neck sized, then run over my home made M die.
    I'd tried the 170gr Gardner pills, but they were too small diameter and only keyholed.
    So, this target is 10 rounds. The first is the low one, rear sight set on lowest setting, 300 yds. The 9 shot group has the rear set at 500.

Name:	6.53.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	300656
    And One of the boolit and brass

Name:	6.54.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	300657
    Again, just thought I'd pass along in case one was interested. Don't mean to hijack anything for the thread.

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12