WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any 6.5x55 reloaders here

Any 6.5x55 reloaders here

I recently horse traded for a 1915 Swedish Mauser and am stumped on reloading data. My mold of choice was the NOE 270-151-RN-BB5 2 Cavity GC which drops right at 149-150 grains with wheel weights which I sized to .266 and lubed with Carnauba Red. I'm finding difficulty finding load data for this boolit weight with exception of what's shown in Lymans 49th edition. Most of my reference books stop at 140 grains and then skip to 160 grains, and that's for jacketed bullets. One of the loads listed is AA-5744. Is that the same as Accurate 5744? I have about a 1/2 lb of that and it could get me started in some load development. Also, 2400 is listed in Lymans 49th and I have a pound of Hercules 2400 on hand. Is that the same also?

I've also got Accurate 2460, IMR 4064 & 4895, Hodgdon H4198, H110(pistol powder), HP-38(pistol powder) & H4831SC, and Unique on hand, however, none of these powders are listed, or if they are, not in my weight boolit.

I've read in a previous post a load of 10.5 grains of Unique as a pet load, and I am going to try that but don't know what the upper cap would be without getting out my chrony. The 2400, 4064, 4895, & H4831SC could also work but I have no experience wildcatting a load. I have always just used published load data in the past.

I'm now mostly a paper puncher at the private range so hunting loads don't matter much to me. Any suggestions out there? I understand I'm not getting technical on details of the bore or case prep; I'm just looking for what others have used in the past and gotten good results. If I'm minute of torso, I'm good with that. Just want to play with my new to me rifle, safely.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I have NOE's 268-140 mold for my Swede. I use IMR4064 and IMR 4895 in mine and load it with 31 grains of either and it shoots great. Try to size your heads to .267 in your Mauser. I did .266 and had a bit of leading even though it was accurate. I also powder coat and gas check mine. Check over the site here and you will find a lot of info.

Any 6.5x55 reloaders here

Close enough to your boolit and shows unique but id agree with the 10.5 start. 2400 would be another great one.

44th

48th addition
    Last edited by Stewbaby; 03-12-2022 at 12:43 PM.

"I have NOE's 268-140 mold for my Swede. I use IMR4064 and IMR 4895 in mine and load it with 31 grains of either and it shoots great. Try to size your heads to .267 in your Mauser. I did .266 and had a bit of leading even though it was accurate. I also powder coat and gas check mine. Check over the site here and you will find a lot of info."

Thanks Eddie1971, I PC also and figured I could go that route if leading becomes an issue. I couldn't find a .267 sizer so I went with the .266 just to get a few cast boolits loaded up.

Another thanks to Stewbaby, charts like that are are exactly what I'm looking for. Unique is what I have most of but if other powders on hand prove more accurate, I can put that on my list to look for.

I appreciate the responses.

Slim

If you get the NOE sizer they have collets in those sizes.

Always start by slugging your bore, to determine your needed bullet diameter. Size to the Bore diameter or to no more than .001 over. Sizing to some imaginary pre set diameter gets you absolutely nothing, is just a WAG.

Of the powders you have, try 4895 it should work just fine. You are not loading to max loads, only for accuracy, with a cast bullet. You have a suggestion of 31g.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Always start by slugging your bore, to determine your needed bullet diameter. Size to the Bore diameter or to no more than .001 over. Sizing to some imaginary pre set diameter gets you absolutely nothing, is just a WAG.

Of the powders you have, try 4895 it should work just fine. You are not loading to max loads, only for accuracy, with a cast bullet. You have a suggestion of 31g.
    I totally understand slugging the barrel and I know proper boolit fit is king, however, I also know that I could safely lube with the the .266 sizer in my 450 and get a feel of how it shoots without producing precision rounds. I'm hoping to retrieve one or more of my boolits and that may give me additional information. I have factory ammo I'm going to try and hope to retrieve a bullet or two of it also. I'm just playing for now and wanting to get the feel of the weapon. I can shoot as cast or powder coat also if I need more size, just trying to start small and work up safely, just like my loads will be. Baby steps, I gotta start somewhere.

What I'm trying to find is published loads of the powders I have to experiment with safety with loads such as Stewbabys post. I have checked all of my books (about a dozen) before reaching out to the membership. I also don't have the "Quickloads" program so it's difficult for me to adjust up or down my powder charges safely just off one load suggestion. Your suggestion of 31g. of 4895 exceeds the published max. load of 30g. referenced by chart posted by Stewbaby.

I do however appreciate your post and hope more will come. I learn a lot from others.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 03-13-2022 at 03:29 PM.

Boolit Master

10.5 grs Unique with 150 gr cast bullet is a powder puff load. It'll be accurate but whimpy.

Limit velocity to 1,500 fps or thereabouts in respect of the fast twist rate of the 6.5x55 being 1:200mm.

2400 is excellent in 6.5x55. Use the same data as 140 gr but decrease load 1 or 2 grs to start. There's not enough difference to worry about.

My 1915 Carl Gustaf m/38.

My 1905 Carl Gustaf m/96.

My 1900 Mauser Oberndorf m/96 loaded with Lee Cruise Missiles.

Same 1900 Mauser Oberndorf m/96 as above.

1903 Carl Gustaf m/96.

Got a couple others

I'll be using Accurate 5744 this summer. Picked up an 8 lb keg recently.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/

If you have any 4227 I found that worked well in my '96 at about 15 grains.

Boolit Master
    Following this with interest. I've got a M38 Turkish action, a small ring 6.5x55 barrel, and a set of #266673 molds. All I have to do is get off my lazy butt and carve the stock.

Very nice Dutchman, I've got 3 now, The Swede, an 1891 Argentine I believe was made in 1900, both unmolested and matching numbers. The third one is molested and I'm not sure what it is yet, came in an estate buyout along with the 1891. I'm going to keep the unmolested ones for sure, don't know whether I'll keep the other one.

Thanks for the reply, your site looks good also, gonna check it out for sure.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 03-13-2022 at 03:53 PM.

Talking

I use 15 grains of 5744 or 13 grains of 4759 in my CG-63 target rifle. I size my bullets to .268 which is the diameter of the fired case mouth. Bullet is the noe 126 grain. The 6.5 can be a challenge, the flyers will drive you nuts.

Keep the velocity low at about 1350 fps and you will shoot some sub moa groups and Smile.

Boolit Grand Master

Agree with Dutchman and Nobade, both 2400 and 4227 are excellent powders with 140 - 150 gr cast in the 6.5x55 Swede. As mentioned, keep the velocity in the 1500 +/- fps range and either powder will give as good accuracy, especially at 100 and beyond yardages.

Try 13 - 17 gr of 2400 and/or 4227 under your 151 gr cast bullet (assuming you GC it?) w/o a filler. Both my NOE 269-145-FN and BRP 268-469 (copy of Lyman 266469) Run close to 150 gr fully dressed and shoot extremely well with either powder. The slower burning powders you ention will most often give to high a velocity (RPM) before/when they begin to burn efficiently.

I use well fire formed cases with the flash holes drilled out (#28 drill) and don't use a dacron filler for the bench rested loads. For walk about or field loads where powder position can be a problem I reduce the charge 1/2 gr and use a dacron filler.

When shooting at the bench I use a version of my "SAAMI Twist" loading technique when loading the cartridge in the magazine of a CRF Mauser. The cartridge is held by the case body between thumb and trigger finger with bullet up. The case is tapped a couple light taps on bench the twisted back and forth between the thumb and finger a couple times. The case is then inserted onto the top of the magazine follower case head first at an angle with the case head against the extractor and the cartridge then laid on the follower. Then I gently push the cartridge down into the magazine. The bolt is then gently pushed forward and closed. Thus the powder is consistently position to the rear of the case as much as possible w/o having to raise the muzzle [many times prohibited at ranges]. Takes longer to explain it than to do it.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 03-13-2022 at 10:46 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Thanks Larry,

I read with great interest your extensive write up on the 6.5x55 (a few times I'll admit) in a previous post in which you went into detail on case prep, boolit and powder selection, etc. I'm sure others benefited from it as well as I did. I enjoy the old military era rifles and when I find one in decent shape I tend to keep it. None are collector grade, just fun shooters. I hope this one turns out to be a decent bench shooter with cast also. Two of the three Mausers I now have appear (to me) to be unmolested and I plan on keeping those. Thanks for your response, it's appreciated.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 03-13-2022 at 03:55 PM.

Boolit Master

With cast bullets above about 1600 fps, they suddenly went wild and did not print on the target. I believe it is the fast rifling. I would start cast bullets with relatively mild loads using pistol powders, and work up to where the bullet go wild, then back off some.

Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    With cast bullets above about 1600 fps, they suddenly went wild and did not print on the target. I believe it is the fast rifling. I would start cast bullets with relatively mild loads using pistol powders, and work up to where the bullet go wild, then back off some.
    Thanks, that seems to be the issue a lot with the Swedes. I plan on staying in the 1200-1500 range with mine for the time being. It's going to be fun playing with this one. I've loaded a few up with 10.5 grains (1400 fps+/-) of Unique and going to try 14 grains of 2400 (1459 fps) along with 17 grains of 4895 (1316 fps) without filler trying the tapping method Larry suggested. I just don't have very many shell casings at the moment.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 03-16-2022 at 10:51 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I know that this is a month old thread, but I also wanted to throw my thanks in to Larry Gibson, the Dutchman, Noblade and others on here for some great info.
    I was shooting a M-38 Swede with cast bullets at the military matches down at Fort Mojave, AZ this winter and did great with the Lyman 150 (673? sized .268") mold of water cooled wheel weights with16.5 of 4227 behind it. After winning the last match a couple weeks ago, the guys said "Is it about time you go back to Idaho?"
    I have found a 1899 M-96 Oberndorf with the Soderin peep sight that I have been doing load development the last few days. Same bullet behind 14.2 of 2400 is giving me 5/8"H X 1-1/2"W at 100Y. most my scoped rifles won't do that! And with 78 year old eyes to boot!
    Again, thanks guys for the good info.
    PS. Larry, next winter I would like to get together for coffee sometime since we are the same vintage & spent the same time 'In-country'.
    Denny
    First in Last Out!

Boolit Bub
    Slim, I forgot to say that I had found some PPU brass at Graff's & Sons. this winter.
    I have been trying 20 rds. of that with the touch hole drilled out to 7/64" Larry. Working good.
    First in Last Out!

Pathfinder1vav,

I bought the same brass when I acquired the Swede, figured 100 casings should get me through load development.

10.5 grains of Unique resulted in dismal results, 7 out of 10 on paper at 100 yards. I still have 4 different loads of 2 powders to try next time I get a chance.

The problem I'm encountering is focusing as the Swede is such a long rifle and my eyes are not what they used to be. Should be interesting.

Slim

Boolit Bub
    Just tested some cast loads for my M38 2 days ago if that can help you.

Bullet : 140gr cast GC. .268
    Powder : TRAIL BOSS 14.5 gr ***** (max. 14.5gr)
    COL : 2.750’’ M38
    M-38
    50m:
    13.5gr: 1505 fps acc:1.100"
    14.5gr: 1555 fps acc:0.850''
    .................................................. ........................
    Powder: RED DOT
    7.5gr: keyhole, not fast enought
    8.5gr: 1300 fps. acc 50m: 0.8"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast