RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingPBcastcoLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Lee .35 Remington cast

Boolit Bub

Lee .35 Remington cast

Howdy

Gas checks seem to be difficult to impossible to find these days. While I have enough for a while, am wondering about loading this boolit Without one?

Lee C-358-200-RF

Am using these mostly for plinking loads with 4 different Marlin 336 rifles with 8 to 9 grains of Unique. At this low velocity, is a gas check really necessary? The casts are full and sharp and I feel that it will get a good seal without a check.

Whacha think? Thanks in advance, Bo

Boolit Master
    ^^^ Not Me
    Too great of a Boolit to use for Plinking... IMO
    Use Pistol Boolits for that... Or Maybe Condoms??

That Lee 200 without a check is shooting nicely for me with nine of Unique
    (Not much powder in a big case, copy at your own risk.) in 350RM. It's a nice 35R clone checked with 3031, too.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Tagggggggg.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    8-9 grains unique, what velocity are you getting? I'm guessing velocity is low, ive never used unique in a rifle cartridge so have no idea of velocity to expect.
    but in general terms and my own experience is all I can offer. if velocity is like 1000-1200 fps and lubesized at .360 for a marlin microgroove it should not lead barrel.
    accuracy in your gun is the determining factor in my mind as to whether this is a good load.
    are you powder coating or lube sizing?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    ^^^ Not Me
    Too great of a Boolit to use for Plinking... IMO
    Use Pistol Boolits for that... Or Maybe Condoms??
    Agree.

For plinking/small game/vermin in my 35 Rem I shoot the lee 356-120-TC over 5 gr of Bullseye. No wad or filler is used. Velocity is 1170 fps and accuracy is excellent. The bullets drop at .358 - .359 and are just lubed in a .359 H&I die.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    8-9 grains unique, what velocity are you getting? I'm guessing velocity is low, ive never used unique in a rifle cartridge so have no idea of velocity to expect.
    but in general terms and my own experience is all I can offer. if velocity is like 1000-1200 fps and lubesized at .360 for a marlin microgroove it should not lead barrel.
    accuracy in your gun is the determining factor in my mind as to whether this is a good load.
    are you powder coating or lube sizing?
    Larry................. Thanks for the Bullseye tip. That sounds like another one to try.

Thanks for all replies and suggestions. Setting up and adjusting the Chrony is somewhat of a pain so I've put that off. However, my estimates are based on what others are getting with similar loads of Unique. I use cast 180 grain and soon to use 200 grain cast in the .35. Most of the time charging with 8.5 grains of Unique. Believe me, they still "thump" targets like pears (big 100 year old pear tree where I shoot), shaving cream cans, and other nonsense targets.

In the 30/30, am using 165 grain cast with 8.0 Unique.............. such a fun round!!

Oh, when I first started casting in 1969, I used a Lyman Sizer/Luber..............now using (for the first time), the Lee Alox system, but mixed with Johnson's wax and paint thinner. Still playing with it. Got my last batch too runny.

Y'all stay warm this weekend, Bo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Agree.

For plinking/small game/vermin in my 35 Rem I shoot the lee 356-120-TC over 5 gr of Bullseye. No wad or filler is used. Velocity is 1170 fps and accuracy is excellent. The bullets drop at .358 - .359 and are just lubed in a .359 H&I die.
    Larry how do you decide to use filler or not? With that low fill I would think you would.

Boolit Buddy
    I also have a selection of cast 35 cal for pistol I use for rifle plinking but have shot the RCBS 35-200-FN successfully without gas checks in 356Win with 8.5gr Red Dot and in a .357 Marlin with 12.8gr H110. Both were medium hard alloy and the 357 chrono'd 1470fps with a GC.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Larry how do you decide to use filler or not? With that low fill I would think you would.
    From post #2; https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...use-of-fillers

"I don't use the dacron filler or a wad with the fast to medium burning "fast" pistol /shotgun type powders. I find one of these fast burning powders that is fast enough to ignite and burn efficiently at the velocity I want and avoid using a filler with them."

If you haven't read the proper use of filler post/thread you might find more answers.

Bullseye is a very fast, easy to ignite powder which in rifle cases, especially with lighter weight cast bullets, gives excellent ignition and less powder position sensitivity at the velocity range I usually use it at [700 to 1150 fps]. It is also believed that those very small volume charges of fast burning powders under a large volume of filler or wad can cause "ringing" of the chamber. Besides, with such loads, the filler just isn't needed.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I'm using Unique in 35 Rem without filler. I also bought some Promo to try it's a higher volume Red Dot you need to measure by weight. I also have Bullseye to try. Mostly 160ish gr pistol bullets PCed. I just got a GC bullet I will be trying without GC but PCed.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 03-13-2022 at 11:11 AM.