MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: 460 Rowland vs 45 ACP

Boolit Man

460 Rowland vs 45 ACP

So, muddled meanderings in the outhouse...looking at the 460 Rowland kit for a 1911, it seems heavier springs, different brass, and a comped barrel are all it takes.
    Yes, I know the 460 brass is longer, but OAL is the same as the 45, so you just have more boolet in the brass. Heavier springs to handle the recoil, and a comped barrel to help with recoil.
    The 30 Super Carry thread tickled this fancy. I am not looking at doing it, just wondering what I am missing in the conversion.
    My 'know just enough to get in trouble' mind says the 460 is just increasing pressure in the same space to achieve faster velocity.
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Yes...just as the .45 Super is a .45 acp loaded to higher pressures the .460 is loaded to even higher pressures than the Super.

Boolit Man
    So, nothing but an increase in chamber pressure to increase velocity to achieve a 'new cartridge'?

Boolit Man
    The 357 and 44Mag have longer brass, AND a longer cartridge OAL. The Rowland has the same OAL as the 45 ACP. The longer brass is (my guess) to prevent loading in a pistol that the recoil might damage. To my simple mind, that means an increase in pressure has created a 'new' cartridge. I'm probably missing something somewhere.

Boolit Grand Master

You are acting like that is a small thing. Yes, as far as I know, 460 Rowland still fits in normal 45 ACP magazines, but other than that, you are talking about messing with everything else. The only way I know of is to buy a conversion kit from460 Rowland.com. Or find a used kit. It's a whole new barrel, different chamber, with a big old compensator on the end. It needs heavier springs, and very likely buffers. Possibly even a stronger magazine spring. I don't know about every model, but it's likely you need a special firing pin, and stronger return spring. It is about as radical as pistol conversions get.

45 Super is a different deal. It is nothing but a hot loaded 45 ACP. There is technically a 45 Super case with thicker web near the head, but plenty of people shoot standard 45 ACP brass. It isn't like it is a high pressure cartridge. 45 ACP +P is 23,000 PSI. 45 Super is the same case, but loaded to 28,000 PSI. There's not a ton of info out there on what you need to do to various pistols. Generally heavier recoil springs and buffers. It is about the top end of what a normal semi-auto can handle, along with 10mm auto.

P.S. The 460 Rowland runs up to 40,000 PSI. It is an animal.

Cast Boolits Owner

I have 2 guns chambered in 460 Rowland. The first is a 625 with the cylinder chamber lengthened by Clark Custom to accommodate 460 Rowland and the other is a Colt 1991A1 with a Clark Custom 460 Rowland Kit installed. I jumped on the Rowland bandwagon in the early days with the 625. The cases are 1/16” longer but since the boolits seat at normal 45acp depths the rounds chamber in factory mags with no additional work required. My 1911 kit came with a barrel that had the COMP lock tighted in place, a recoil spring, maybe one other spring, and load data. Brass can be purchased from Starline.

If I remember correctly the original load data was pretty hot and was throttled back some. Current data will take 185 gr. boolits above 1400 FPS and 230’s (easily) to 1150 FPS. I have done a bit of load development with many different boolits including the RCBS 255 LSWC for use in the 625. My current load using AA7 sends Berry Plated 230’s down range @1128 ave vel, 687 energy, 5 Std Dev, and 11 fps spread.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Rowland designed the 360 rowland to equal .357 magnum loads in a 9x19 platform and 460 rowland to equal. 44 magnum in a .45 acp platform. Conversions for glock 21 are also available.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?