Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Titegroup

Boolit Master
    Use Titegroup in 9mm, 38 Spcl, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 44 Spcl. I like it.

Boolit Master
    I burned 16 lbs of it in .45 acp in the early 2000s, all 5.5 grain loads, which makes major under a 200 gr #68, and drives a BDacp to 875fps. I wish I could come up with another 8 pounder or two. It meters well, a double charge won't fit and it burns relatively clean. I never experienced the pistol getting too hot using cast, even shooting steel challenge or 30 round action pistol stages. However it did "eat" into my Hornady powder measure reservoir if I left it in overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    I burned 16 lbs of it in .45 acp in the early 2000s, all 5.5 grain loads, which makes major under a 200 gr #68, and drives a BDacp to 875fps. I wish I could come up with another 8 pounder or two. It meters well, a double charge won't fit and it burns relatively clean. I never experienced the pistol getting too hot using cast, even shooting steel challenge or 30 round action pistol stages. However it did "eat" into my Hornady powder measure reservoir if I left it in overnight.
    How's the barrel/throat look on your .45 after all that TG shooting? You seem to have a good test bed here. My only concern with TightGroup is the heat it generates, and I just equate that to potential erosion. I started a thread on this subject a while back, and most replies were that it was no different than any other powder as far as throat erosion and/or barrel wear.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    The barrel I shot most of the Titegroup through looks like new, except for the ring I put in it shooting over a squib during a "Bill Drill" at about 50,000 rounds. The barrel in that gun now also looks like new at over 60,000 rounds, most of which were HPC-18, (surplus about the speed of 231). I'm coming to the end of the HPC-18 which makes me very sad as my load is only 4.8 grains to make major and I think I paid Pat about $6/lb for 36 lbs back around 2005. I compete less, and I don't practice near as much these days as I did when I was younger and more serious about competition, so my .45 acp round count is down from 10,000 - 12,000 a year to to 3,000 or 4,000. I don't know that the average person could live long enough to shoot out a barrel in .45acp using cast. My 1915 Springfield armory, which has been in the family since it was issued, shows a little wear on the lands, but nothing like throat erosion, even though it was run exclusively on jacketed ball through the barrel that has been in it since 1945.

Thanks for the reply BD. That's a lot of shootin. With the volume of TG you put through your .45 without any noticable wear, I guess I can quit worrying about it. I highly doubt I'll ever put that many rounds through my 1911.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    Midway had some 8 lb jugs last year. I was lucky enough to get one

Boolit Master
    Just loaded up 12 in .44 spl. 240 over 4.8 grains. Plinkers

They shot great, nice tight off-hand group at 50' inspite of the gusty wind and snow squalls.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 03-25-2022 at 08:58 PM.

+1 on Titegroup in 45 ACP.
    When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy

Tight Group

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Yes, it does heat up your pistol quickly. Best for light bullets in target loads.
    And as a tangent I have loaded 4 grains under a 40 grain bullet in the .223 for 1640 FPS as a reduced load due to Tight Group being position insensitive in the case. I have also used it at 4.5 Grains in a 40 S&W and it does very well in it also. I have noticed a little more heat when you shot a mag full versus Bullseye.

5.3 grains of TG under 230 FMJ works like a champ. All my .45s love that load.
    Did notice that it will eat the PM plastic.

Boolit Mold
    Besides shotshells, Titegroup works great for subs in .308.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12