Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 450 problem

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nol View Post
    Sorry ReloaderFred for the ebay links and thanks for removing them

Does anyone know the difference between Lyman part #2990689 and #2990623 ?
    2990689 is the two 0 rings for the pressure nut------ 2990146 is the pressure nut. YOUR PHOTO IN POST 23 worked for the last three 450's I overhauled. IT LOOKS LIKE different prints--2990708 is pressure nut WITH 0rings. Lyman will send you a catalog.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 03-21-2022 at 11:08 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Like I wrote Lyman told me all parts of the 4500 are interchangeble with the 450 except the pressure nut and o-rings
    But now I understand that o-rings are for the 45 and 450 and 4500 so maybe also the pressure nut ? I don´t know it´s all confusing.
    I suggest if the o-ring fits the 45 & 450 & 4500 then the pressure nut should have the same size so the nut from the 4500 should also fit the 45 & 450
    Or am I wrong ?
    However I am happy that I could order 2 set of o-rings at Ebay and a new pressure nut for the 450 in Germany.

Just receive a message from the store in Germany, pressure nut is out of stock
    The Pressure nut and the pressure screw and O-rings for the 4500
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/4500-l...lacement-parts

As far as I know, they will work for the 45 and 450.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Yesterday I receive the o-rings and guess what : did not solve the problem
    Nut still turns around when I turn the spindle.
    Now I am waiting for the heating pad maybe that helps

Boolit Grand Master

Take the press off its base. Look at the bottom where the spindle head is visible. Turn the spindle. Does the head turn?

Tap the spindle out the bottom of the press and inspect the threads.

Are the o rings on the nut too large to allow it to be inserted into the lube reservoir bore? They should be sized so that they need significant screw pressure to compress them enough to enter the bore.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 04-13-2022 at 04:17 PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Does the nut pull down into the unit until it hits the lube? Then spin before it makes pressure? Or does it spin as soon as it gets into the housing?

Dumb question. You are using two O rings and not just one?

The picture on the first page, and the picture of the different angles all show only one O ring installed.

First of all thanks for your answers

@slim 1836
    I did that but it did not solve the problem
    I put a 10mm thick aluminium plate under de press and heat it up with an iron, plate get warm just like the press it self but the seal plug keep turn around when I turn the spindle
    Attachment 297394

@gwpercle
    What I understand is that the 450 was the previous model and later came the 4500.
    Lyman wrote me that the 4500 seal plug is not interchangable with the 450 so I understand that the o-rings are not the same.
    Your sizes are different from the size Lyman wrote me.
    I also measure the plug and OD is 1,1/16 so the size of your ring is not compatable with my plug
    I think that is why Lyman wrote me that the lugs are not interchagable because the 4500 is bigger
    And the difference between OD and ID is not as much as twice the thickness ?

@baltimoreed
    I replace the 2 o-rings on advice of Lyman and before I did that I clean the hole press and also the spindel which works smootly now
    The only one that I have to stretch a little is the 23mm ring
    I can buy a 22 or 21mm ID ring but they are smaller then the ID of the space where the sealplug goes in
    Inside diameter of that space is 28,6mm and the ring with ID of 22mm have an OD of 22 + 6 = 28mm
    Attachment 297699
    Last edited by Bazoo; 04-13-2022 at 04:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    You have to hold the nut so it doesn't spin or screw it down until it touches and then turn the spindle. If the 0rings touch the sides of the cylinder it has to go down.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 04-13-2022 at 05:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Check the holes in the body casting and see if something got inside and clogged the holes the lube flows through.From what you have said everything is functioning as it should but the lube cant be pushed thuough the holes therefore the pressure nut spins instead of pushing the lube out.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Take the press off its base. Look at the bottom where the spindle head is visible. Turn the spindle. Does the head turn?
    Tap the spindle out the bottom of the press and inspect the threads.
    Are the o rings on the nut too large to allow it to be inserted into the lube reservoir bore? They should be sized so that they need significant screw pressure to compress them enough to enter the bore.
    That head and spindle is turning
    Threads is clean and I can turn the nut from top to base with my hand
    O-rings are original Lyman ring´s

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Does the nut pull down into the unit until it hits the lube? Then spin before it makes pressure? Or does it spin as soon as it gets into the housing?
    Dumb question. You are using two O rings and not just one?
    It start spinning as soon as the nut hits the lube and yes I use 2 o-rings

Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    You have to hold the nut so it doesn't spin or screw it down until it touches and then turn the spindle. If the 0rings touch the sides of the cylinder it has to go down.
    Yes I hold it by hand and srew it down until it touche the cylinder and then it goes down until it touch the lube, then it start spinning (truning)

Quote Originally Posted by shortlegs View Post
    Check the holes in the body casting and see if something got inside and clogged the holes the lube flows through.From what you have said everything is functioning as it should but the lube cant be pushed thuough the holes therefore the pressure nut spins instead of pushing the lube out.
    Even I clean the cylinder and die I am intent to do it again today, heating up the press and take all lube out and clean the press special the outgoing part.
    Maybe there is something that stock the lube, I did not check that when I clean the press the first time.

Boolit Grand Master

Pull the die and nut out of the press and melt out the lube that’s in there. Replace it with something softer.

I cant think of anything else you haven’t already tried.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Measure in .001 the inside of the cylinder. This makes me wont to buy it just to keep from pulling the rest of my hair out trying to fix the problem.

Today I clean the press inside as you can see on the picture
    Top picture is everything out of the press and cleaned including the sizerdie
    Top left picture is the cylinder cleaned from lube
    Top right is a view inside the space where the sizerdie is located
    Bottom left is the cylinder with a light shinning in the space where the sizerdie is located
    Bottom right is a view where the sizerdie is located but with a light shinning in the cylinder
    Everything is clean now from old lube
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	298988

Is there anything bad or wrong ?

Tomorrow it is Good Friday and this weekend is Easter in the Netherlands so next week I can shop for a softer lub stick
    So far I used Lee lube and never had a problem but maybe an other brand is better for now, if so which is better to buy ?

@45DUDE I don´t have the tools to measure the inside of the cylinder and I don´t have so much hair anymore so there is not so much to pull out
    But I understand what you mean, it cost me so far ±$50 and if I trow the press away then I also trow away the $50 so I keep going on to fix the problem but I don´t spent to much $ anymore
    If I can´t fix the problem I keep the press to size the bullets and lube them separate

Don’t forget you could try the Teflon plumbers tape under the O rings on the nut to give it more thickness.

I know and I did that with the o-rings which I bought local but now I have original Lyman o-rings so I don´t think I need teflon.
    My hope is the lube, I have old Lee lube and next week I am intent to buy new lube but I like to know which is good.
    I read about soft lube but which lube is soft ?

Boolit Grand Master

50/50 alox/beeswax is common and about as soft as anything.

Boolit Buddy
    Try leaving the sizing die out of the press and see if the lube will push through to that area. If that works that works put a sizing die in and see if it works. Try putting bullet lube on the wall of the lube reservoir and on the o rings. There may be too much friction between the clean reservoir making the o rings stick to it but allowing the pressure nut to spin on the o rings. If that is happening put some of the bullet lube between the pressure nut and the o rings too. My pressure nut o ring assembly is covered with the bullet lube and I think the lube is helping to hold the pressure nut assembly so it will screw down and push the lube out.
    Last edited by shortlegs; 04-14-2022 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    50/50 alox/beeswax is common and about as soft as anything.
    I understand Alox is hard to buy and the 350 and 2138F version are discontinued
    I have one bottle of 4oz LLA if I use that how much beewax should I mix with LLA to get a 50/50 lube ? I think beewax is heavier or am I wrong ?
    I also read a mix of Lanolin with beewax, lanolin is easier te get here but I am not sure if that works fine in the Lyman.
    But I also read other mixing stuff like olive oil or vaseline or crisco
    Please advice me which one is the best for my original Trapdoor and Sharp carbine and how much I need to mix with beewax.

@shortlegs if I push the Lee lube through that area and it does not work fine I have to clean the press again so therefor I first try to make / use the 50/50 lube.
    Then I know it is softer en brand new, my Lee lube is old and quite hard.
    That and the combination of the bad o-rings could be the problem, at least I hope that is the problem

Good Friday became bad friday
    I try the nut in the cylinder and push it all the way down, no problem but then it had to come up and while I was doing that the nut stopped and it was hard to turn the spindle.
    Suddenly it was easy to turn the spinle and that gave me a bad feeling and yes the threat in the nut was broken and gone
    So I have to wait untill I receive the new nut which I ordered a few weeks ago but which is still out of order
    I am thinking about to make a new nut myself, does anyone know the size of the threat ? I think it is 3/8"

Boolit Master
    Sounds to me like it just wore out.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    I thing you just found the problem

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast