RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 450 problem

Boolit Grand Master

The o rings are supposed to stretch tightly over the grooves in the pressure nut and extend past the surface of the nut to seal the reservoir.

Can you post pictures of what you have?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

The only one that I have to stretch a little is the 23mm ring
    I can buy a 22 or 21mm ID ring but they are smaller then the ID of the space where the sealplug goes in
    Inside diameter of that space is 28,6mm and the ring with ID of 22mm have an OD of 22 + 6 = 28mm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plugrings.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	297699

Boolit Grand Master

Let's See ... you tried the following... OD : 1 1/8" , 1 3/16" , 1 1/4" ...all 1/8" THK.

And none worked and none of these worked ... is that right ?

The replacement o-ring I measured is ... OD - 1 1/16" ... 1/8" THK (with ID : 13/16" )

Do you think the - 1 1 /16" x 1/8" thk. o-ring might be the correct size ?
    My o-ring came from Lyman & is part #2990689 .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Big problem is the conversion size, we only have metric o-rings and they were sold on inside diameter
    So 1 1/8 minus 2 x 1/8 makes an ID of 7/8" and 7/8 x 25,4 = 22,2mm and that is exact the inside diameter in the groove of the seal plug

Name:	sealplug2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	297738
    But 1 1/8" x 25,4 = 28,575mm and that is 0,1mm smaller then the inside diameter of the space where the lube is (I call that the cilinder)
    The 1 1/16" ring is converted 27mm which is 1,5mm smaller then de ID of the cilinder
    I did not order the 1 1/16" and I was almost for sure the 1 1/8" would solve the problem but not.
    So I think I have to order the rings from Lyman and therefor I check ebay but now I am more confused.
    I understood it is Lyman Part #2990689 but a seller in the UK give an other number, Replacement item for Lyman 2990623

I just found this older topic
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/arc.../t-350960.html
    This was one of the postings :
    Forrest r
    12-29-2017, 11:54 AM
    The o-ring that goes on the top of the sizer dies is: Luber/sizer Lyman & RCBS 014= ˝” ID by 1/16” thick
    Lyman 450 bottom o-ring 023= 1 1/16” ID by 1/16” thick
    Lyman 450 double plunger o-rings 212= 7/8” ID by 1/8” thick
    I suggest that I have the double plunjer version so I bought the right o-rings but it did not solve the problem

I think there is no other way to solve the problem then buying original rings and I like to know what is the correct number.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sealplug2.jpg  
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 03-17-2022 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Ebay Links aren't allowed here.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    You received bad information from Lyman. The pressure screw thread, length and reservoir diameter have been the same from earliest production of the 45 to the current 4500. The current 4500 pressure nut and its O rings can be retrofit in all of the sizers from the 45 through the 4500. Order 2 pieces of part number 2990689 and you will have what you need.

In the picture you show, the pressure nut is not yet down to the lube reservoir. It needs to start into the reservoir before there is friction to hold the nut and allow it continue to be tightened. Hold the outside of the nut with your fingers and turn the screw until the nut enters the reservoir. If you can’t keep the nut from spinning in your fingers when you turn the screw, check for old lube in the screw threads. Clean that out and it should be easy to spin the nut down.
    The pressure screw diameter on the newer models is slightly larger . I know this because I replaced one that was turning but would not allow the pressure nut to pull into the tube . When I went to put the cap on the hole in the cap was too small to fit on the screw and had to be opened up just slightly . The threaded portion and the bottom of the screw is the same but the diameter of the top portion is not.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post

Why not take the pressure nut and the old o rings to the hardware store and find something close as you can. Buy the sizes that are close and try them.
    This.

I have replaced my rings on various lubesizers with cheapo rings from assortment packages. They are usually plastic, not rubber like the good original ones ,- but they work.

EDIT: places like Lidl sell assortment packages for a few euros. There is some tolerance around the O ring size.

Last edited by Petander; 03-17-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    The pressure screw diameter on the newer models is slightly larger . I know this because I replaced one that was turning but would not allow the pressure nut to pull into the tube . When I went to put the cap on the hole in the cap was too small to fit on the screw and had to be opened up just slightly . The threaded portion and the bottom of the screw is the same but the diameter of the top portion is not.
    3 months ago I purchased a new screw, part number 2990599 for a many year old gray 450. It fit perfectly to all interfaces including the base, the threads, the length and the reservoir cap.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I have cut o rings and super glued them back together, they make kits to do just that.
    https://www.huyett.com/products/hydr...SABEgKYTPD_BwE
    https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-112-O...35082664&psc=1

Sorry ReloaderFred for the ebay links and thanks for removing them

Does anyone know the difference between Lyman part #2990689 and #2990623 ?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nol View Post
    Big problem is the conversion size, we only have metric o-rings and they were sold on inside diameter
    So 1 1/8 minus 2 x 1/8 makes an ID of 7/8" and 7/8 x 25,4 = 22,2mm and that is exact the inside diameter in the groove of the seal plug

Name:	sealplug2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	297738
    But 1 1/8" x 25,4 = 28,575mm and that is 0,1mm smaller then the inside diameter of the space where the lube is (I call that the cilinder)
    The 1 1/16" ring is converted 27mm which is 1,5mm smaller then de ID of the cilinder
    I did not order the 1 1/16" and I was almost for sure the 1 1/8" would solve the problem but not.
    So I think I have to order the rings from Lyman and therefor I check ebay but now I am more confused.
    I understood it is Lyman Part #2990689 but a seller in the UK give an other number, Replacement item for Lyman 2990623

I just found this older topic
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/arc.../t-350960.html
    This was one of the postings :
    Forrest r
    12-29-2017, 11:54 AM
    The o-ring that goes on the top of the sizer dies is: Luber/sizer Lyman & RCBS 014= ˝” ID by 1/16” thick
    Lyman 450 bottom o-ring 023= 1 1/16” ID by 1/16” thick
    Lyman 450 double plunger o-rings 212= 7/8” ID by 1/8” thick
    I suggest that I have the double plunjer version so I bought the right o-rings but it did not solve the problem

I think there is no other way to solve the problem then buying original rings and I like to know what is the correct number.
    The number shown on the Lyman packing slip for the extra o-ring is #2990689 .

They show the Pressure Nut Assembly w/ 2- o rings installed as #2990708 .

I did a Lyman site search for product part number - # 2990623 - that part number was not found .
    It seems only parts for the 4500 are showing up and #2990623 may be a true 450 part number
    but I can't even find a 450 parts diagram to check ...Lyman has hidden it and I can't remember where / how to access the 450 parts diagram and numbers ... they have changed their web site .

If those "make your own o-ring kits " really work ... that would solve a lot of problems .
    I have never heard of making o-rings ... I need to get out more !

I went back and re-read what Lyman wrote to you . I'm confused as to what fits what . A couple years ago I ordered these replacement parts and the up grade kit from Lyman as being for a 450 ...they still sold them as for a 450 . Mine is grey in color and had a brass expansion ring as a seal ...no o-rings at all .

All I can think of is double check with Lyman as to the correct part number is and use that number to order .
    I'm sorry this is turning into such a nightmare ...it shouldn't be this messed up ... I hear powder coating doesn't require any o-rings .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 03-17-2022 at 07:03 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thanks Gary, I also did a Lyman search on #2990623 and I also could not find something and therefor I also think it is the part number for the 2 o-rings for the older 450
    I hope someone have the manual from the 450 with the exploded view and part numbers to check
    Maybe he/she can post it here for everyone who need it
    I want to order the rings soon and want to order it in the UK because it is faster en cheaper, 2 dollar more for 6 seater plug rings but they have part number 2990623
    I don´t need the sizer die rings

Boolit Master
    The point of my post is that you can cut a section out of to too big o ring and make it smaller as long as it's the correct thickness. You can make a 1 1/8 into a 1 1/16, we did this in industrial settings with no problems.

I always keep manuals for quite a long time so yes I found the original guide that came with my 450 lubricator/sizer
    On page 73 is the exploded view of the new style version and on page 74 from the old version, I have the new style version.
    Now I can see that part 2 is the pressure nut and part 3 are the o-rings for the nut
    Part 8 is the seal plug and part 7 is the o-ring for the seal plug
    Part number of the o-rings of the pressure nut is 2990689 and for the seal plug is 2990623

Conclusion is that I have to order #2990689
    Yes I know you told me before but I was confused because of my English
    I am realy sorry for that and I apologise
    Lucky me with my 71 years I am not to old to learn.

This is the exploded view of the new style, I also have a picture of the old style press
    Attachment 297794

Boolit Buddy
    measured some spares came up with 13/16'' id 1/8'' thick

Boolit Buddy
    converted best I could 20.63 mm id 3.17 mm thick

@hd09, your conversion is correct but we don´t have 20,63mm ID rings here, we have 20 and 21 rings
    I try rings with 3mm thick but as you can see 1/8" is just a little bit more then 3mm
    Therfor I ordered 2 original sets but have to wait 6-8 weeks before they arrive here
    That is no problem since I have some ammo made
    Last edited by Nol; 03-19-2022 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to respond to hd09

Boolit Grand Master

I always keep manuals for quite a long time so yes I found the original guide that came with my 450 lubricator/sizer
    On page 73 is the exploded view of the new style version and on page 74 from the old version, I have the new style version.
    Now I can see that part 2 is the pressure nut and part 3 are the o-rings for the nut
    Part 8 is the seal plug and part 7 is the o-ring for the seal plug
    Part number of the o-rings of the pressure nut is 2990689 and for the seal plug is 2990623

Conclusion is that I have to order #2990689
    Yes I know you told me before but I was confused because of my English
    I am realy sorry for that and I apologise
    Lucky me with my 71 years I am not to old to learn.

This is the exploded view of the new style, I also have a picture of the old style press
    Attachment 297794
    No apologies necessary ... I'm 72 and you're 71 ...that and along with the differences in language and differences in measuring and difficulty in conversion ... I think we are doing PDG (Pretty Darn Good) I'm glad you found the 450 guide with the correct part numbers .
    I was trying to remember where mine was , I know I kept it ... but I'm poor at organizing ... I felt it would have the answer . I don't know why but I found 4500 pdf manuals and 45 pdf manuals on the internet but NO 450 manuals ??? I beleve my 450 manual is stuck between the pages of a Handloaders Digest Book ... last seen in 1975 ... but still here .
    Part numbers should not be this hard to find with the wide world web at our finger tips ...every question should be easily answered by the magic of the computer ... so why wasn't the 450 manual on the computer ... stupid computer .

Here's to old guys who don't throw away original guide manuals

I found my 450 manual stuck in the 1978 edition of "Handloaders Digest"
    why there I haven't a clue but I still have it .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thanks I feel much better now and
    I have an ordner with all the papers and manuals which I want to keep including the bills of the firearms which I bought in the States and there it was.
    Now that I know the 450 part numbers I also find a new pressure nut and I consider to order one, just incase

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks I feel much better now and
    I have an ordner with all the papers and manuals which I want to keep including the bills of the firearms which I bought in the States and there it was.
    Now that I know the 450 part numbers I also find a new pressure nut and I consider to order one, just incase
    If you can ... order everything you can get ... Lyman has a habit of just dropping replacement parts .
    I ordered a complete rebuild kit and upgrade kit maybe 4 years ago ... now the Lyman site has been revised and I can't find any 450 parts on the site . Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place ...seems Lyman liked to hide the replacement parts for the 450 anyway ...they did a good job this time .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Like I wrote Lyman told me all parts of the 4500 are interchangeble with the 450 except the pressure nut and o-rings
    But now I understand that o-rings are for the 45 and 450 and 4500 so maybe also the pressure nut ? I don´t know it´s all confusing.
    I suggest if the o-ring fits the 45 & 450 & 4500 then the pressure nut should have the same size so the nut from the 4500 should also fit the 45 & 450
    Or am I wrong ?
    However I am happy that I could order 2 set of o-rings at Ebay and a new pressure nut for the 450 in Germany.

Just receive a message from the store in Germany, pressure nut is out of stock
    Last edited by Nol; 03-21-2022 at 03:09 PM. Reason: update

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast