Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 450 problem

Boolit Master
    Those 0 rings are a special size and hardness and have to fit perfect. I gave up going to hardware and parts stores. You can buy them for $10 shipped to your door from e bay.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    Those 0 rings are a special size and hardness and have to fit perfect. I gave up going to hardware and parts stores. You can buy them for $10 shipped to your door from e bay.
    The guy wants $14.75 to ship to the Netherlands, so about 22 Euros all in. I did send OP a link to the auction in PM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

@skeettx
    I already did that, in post #7 you can read that I clean the whole press. What I mean I took everything out including the die - toppunch - pressure screw and pressure nut and clean it.
    Put new lube in and made the heating pad from a plate aluminium and heat it slowly with the iron until the cold of the press was gone and feel comfortable.
    I test it with a new casted bullet and the grooves get filled but not fuly around so I turn the ratchet handle and saw that the pressure nut turns.

@JonB
    No damage on the threads and the pressure nut move smootly by hand over de pressure screw. The lube is indeed sticky but it does not stop the pressure nut from turning.

@45DUDE
    I found them on Ebay, $7,99 + $14,75 S&H
    I can give it a try because then I have the original o-rings in the correct size.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o-ring.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	297406

@imashooter2
    I look down and the thread is good, not damage and no scratches.
    Like I wrote to JonB I can move the pressure nut smootly by hand over de pressure screw.
    When all the lube was out the pressure nut went all the way down then I put new lube in and the pressure nut went down till it touch the lube and it compress the lube a little and then it stop compressing and start to turn the pressure nut.

@Bazoo
    I can do that but to be sure about the sizes I prefer to buy the rings from Ebay. I know they are more expensive but then I am sure that are the correct o-rings
    If that does not help to solve the problem it must be something else.
    I even try to find a new pressure nut but I can´t find them on Ebay so far

Thanks you all so far
    Since the rings take a while before I get them I start all over and clean the press again.

PS
    I was searching on Ebay and found these o-rings which are only for the 450 but they seems much thinner to me, look like that are the one that Lyman wrote me to buy.

And I found O-ring NBR70 shore A ø24 ID x 3 mm thick
    If that is the correct size I can get 50 rings for €7 = ±$7,80
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 03-14-2022 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Ebay Links are not Allowed

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nol View Post
    SNIP>>>

@skeettx
    I already did that, in post #7 you can read that I clean the whole press. What I mean I took everything out including the die - toppunch - pressure screw and pressure nut and clean it.
    Put new lube in and made the heating pad from a plate aluminium and heat it slowly with the iron until the cold of the press was gone and feel comfortable.
    I test it with a new casted bullet and the grooves get filled but not fuly around so I turn the ratchet handle and saw that the pressure nut turns.

@JonB
    No damage on the threads and the pressure nut move smootly by hand over de pressure screw. The lube is indeed sticky but it does not stop the pressure nut from turning.

@imashooter2
    I look down and the thread is good, not damage and no scratches.
    Like I wrote to JonB I can move the pressure nut smootly by hand over de pressure screw.
    When all the lube was out the pressure nut went all the way down then I put new lube in and the pressure nut went down till it touch the lube and it compress the lube a little and then it stop compressing and start to turn the pressure nut.
    Well, with everything said here, I now have to conclude what most everyone else thinks, that the problem is surely the O-rings.

Before I'd order some from Lyman or Ebay and have to wait, I would do as Bazoo suggests and go to a local store and get all the sizes that seem close or oversize and try them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    The language barrier doesn’t affect me. I think I understand perfectly. He needs new o rings that are correct size.

Why not take the pressure nut and the old o rings to the hardware store and find something close as you can. Buy the sizes that are close and try them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

The thin rings go around the top of the lube die.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Agreed. There should be enough friction there to stop the pressure nut from turning. The op’s O rings are incorrect [too small id or too thin] if there is no thread damage anywhere. The O rings deteriorate. I have two of the same Lyman sizers.

Boolit Master
    The ones in the ebay photo in post 23-<my birthday>are correct. They will fit a 45 or 450.

Thanks again
    I went to our local hardware stores but non have these size o-rings in stock so I ordered online here and they arrive in 2 working days.
    I ordered 1 1/8" and 1 3/16" and 1 1/4" and all are 1/8" thick
    I expect one of these will fit and hopefully solve the problem of the turning pressure nut
    As soon as I did the test I let you know.

Boolit Grand Master

I use it for over 20 years and until 3 weeks ago it works fine

I can´t take out the spindel (threaded bolt) from the top and the picture shows the plug with 2 o-rings inside but with lube around that is why you don´t see the 2e o-ring but it is there.
    The lube is hard so I was hoping it works fine with a heater pad under the press but that did not work, plug still turn around
    Spindel is fine and I can run the spindel in the plug with my hand without any problem

@irmashooter
    If that is thru then I can order them but problem is I have to order them in the US at Lyman because it is not in stock here
    S/H from Lyman to the Netherland cost $28 while regular shippingcost is almost nothing therefor I bought equivalent o-ring sizes here and the size was on advice of Lyman
    Lyman wrote me that the size of the o-rings are 1,129" OD and 0,989" ID and 0,70" thick so I bought rings here at the size 28mm OD x 25mm ID x 2mm thick
    I understand I need o-rings 1 3/16" OD x 1 1/16" ID with thickness of 1/8" converted to metric it will be 30mm OD x 27mm ID and 3mm thick
    But the OD of the nut is 27,5mm which is almost the same as the ID of the o-ring !?
    ID of the groove of the nut is 22,2mm = 7/8"
    Size confuse me because the o-ring fall over the nut

The nut was taken out to check but it is normal inside the reservoir.
    If I turn the spindle it pull the nut down until the lub and then it stop and start turning around when I turn the spindle (screw or threaded bolt)
    Like I wrote it works fine until 3 weeks ago.

If gwpercle is right about the size of the o-rings and if I convert it correct, maybe someone can check it for me, then I try to find the o-rings here but as I say the size confuse me
    Nol , I am probably wrong on the o ring measurement - I had those dimensions written down but now I think they are NOT correct and I don't have a Lyman o ring #2990689 to measure ...
    the part number should be right but my dimensions are not .
    I'm so sorry for the Bad info and apologize ... please forgive .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks again
    I went to our local hardware stores but non have these size o-rings in stock so I ordered online here and they arrive in 2 working days.
    I ordered 1 1/8" and 1 3/16" and 1 1/4" and all are 1/8" thick
    I expect one of these will fit and hopefully solve the problem of the turning pressure nut
    As soon as I did the test I let you know.
    Just read your post ... AWESOME !
    When you find a hardware store o-ring that fits and works ...please post the correct dimensions , along with the dimensions of Lymans o-ring ... I need to write them down along with what they part they go to . I must confess I don't understand how o-rings are sized and how to measure them .
    Again , sorry for the incorrect dimensions .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

No problem I forgive you I am glad you help me.
    I think the size irmashooter gave me does not look correct either because 1 3/16" OD and 1 1/16 ID is a different of 1/8" but when the o-ring is 1/8" thick the difference shoud be 1/4" (2 x 1/8")
    That mean 1 3/16" OD and 9/16" ID
    As soon as I get them I will test it and I post the result

Boolit Buddy

Previous posts (I believe on this forum) referred to O ring size #35 and Danko #54.

Boolit Grand Master

No problem I forgive you I am glad you help me.
    I think the size irmashooter gave me does not look correct either because 1 3/16" OD and 1 1/16 ID is a different of 1/8" but when the o-ring is 1/8" thick the difference shoud be 1/4" (2 x 1/8")
    As soon as I get them I will test it and I post the result
    I found the problem ... I can't read my sloppy handwriting .

My 450 is an early one with a brass expansion ring on the Pressure seal plug . After 40+ years it began leaking so I ordered a new Pressure Seal Assembly , plug w/ two o rings and I ordered an extra o ring . Forgot about doin it ...I expanded the old brass expansion ring and it stopped leaking .
    Sorta remembered having spare parts ...some digging turned up parts and a conversion kit !!!
    Anyway I have the pressure nut (with two o rings) and the spare o ring in front of me .
    I measured it carefully and had my wife (who has two good eyes) double check , this is correct dimensions o ring part # 2990689
    OD : 1 1/16" - one and one sixteenth inch
    ID : 13/16" - thirteen sixteenths inch
    THK : 1/8" one eighth inch
    I went back and corrected my original post ...didn't want the wrong dimensions confusing anyone else ...I'm confused enough !

The Pressure Nut Seal Assembly , (w/ 2- o rings on it) is Lyman #2990708 and is the replacement Lyman sent for my 450 ( not 4500) and is probly what came on yours .

Several years back I worried Lyman would stop carrying parts for the 450 ...so I purchased extra parts and later went whole hog and bought their Conversion / Upgrade Kit for it , all the spare parts I bought plus a new ball handle and linkage and I don't remember what else ... now I need to find that also ... I know it's out there maybe it's time to do the upgrade !
    Good luck finding 0 rings .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Reading back I see that I also make a mistake.
    If it is 1 3/16" and the ring is 1/8" thick then the ID should be 1 3/16" - 2 x 1/8" and that is not 9/16 but 15/16"
    You are right whith the 1 1/16" ring, then the ID is 13/16"
    I order 3 sizes, 23mm ID which is 1 1/8" and 24mm ID is 1 3/16" and 25mm ID is 1 7/32"
    I don´t think 1 1/16" ring fit the pressure seal because 1 1/16" is 21mm + 2 x 1/8" thick is 6mm make a total of 27mm which is smaller the the OD of the pressure seal that is 27,4mm
    I have a good feeling for what I have ordered but we will see when they arrive here.
    I let you know if and which ring works.

Boolit Grand Master

Don’t blaspheme me. I never gave any dimensions.

Sorry you are right , forgive me

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Don’t blaspheme me. I never gave any dimensions.
    This is Gary (gwpercle) I was the one giving the wrong dimensions ,
    The Blaspheme is on me .

The spare O-ring dimensions I have measured :
    OD: 1 1/16"
    ID: 13/16"
    THK: 1/8"
    Sitting on the desk next to the pressure nut , which has 2 o-rings already installed , the spare doesn't look exactly right but to install it you have to stretch the o-ring over the pressure nut and roll it into the groove cut for it ...it's a tight fit . To me the o-ring looks too small but I'm not sure the sky is blue anymore . If I have too I will remove a o-ring from the pressure nut and measure it ...but it might be stretched .
    I'm glad my old 450 doesn't have a rubber 0-ring seal ...too dang confusing .
    The brass expandable seal was just too good a thing to let live ... I'm starting to despise rubber 0 rings ... I bet Lyman makes big bucks selling them pesky o-rings !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

They make their money on shipping for those O rings!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    They make their money on shipping for those O rings!
    Somebody is making money ... I'm hoping the correct "hardware store" or "O-ring Store" size can be determined and nailed down for sure .
    I got tired of buying Thumblers Tumblers Model B "drive belts" ... did some investigating and found a vaccuum cleaner drive belt that worked better than factory original at a fraction of the price sold at wally mart .
    I kept the Vaccuum Cleaner belt package and belt dimensions if anyone wants that info .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Today I recieve the o-rings and I did a first test but non of them solve the problem.
    I try the 23mm ID ring that is a 1.1/8" OD ring
    Then I try the 24mm ID ring that is the 1.3/16" OD ring
    And last the 25mm ID ring that is a 1.7/32" ring
    All are 1/8" thick

1.1/16" ID ring does not fit because the OD of the pressure sealplug is bigger, the OD of the 1.1/16" ring is 27mm and OD of the sealplug is 27,4mm
    I check the internal diameter of the space where the plug goes in and that is 1.1/8" what is 28,6mm

All test are done without heating pad so that is my next test tomorrow

I get a little confused about the conversion mm to inch

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast