Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Beginning in BPCR

Quote Originally Posted by FickleThings View Post
    What is a good starting BPCR rifle to look for? It has always interested me.
    This thread was started 3/9/22 and here it's 8/6/22 and the OP has yet to post again.

"Starting BPCR rifle with what kinda shooting in mind?" - that would be the first question asked, but it looks like the fickle OP might have lost interest.

"Getting into BPCR" can mean Lots of things and to a fair degree most are with good intentions.

With the loss of the H&R Buff Classic there aren't any cheap and reasonable BPCR rifles that would be worthy of entering the BPCR games. And as it was, the Buff Classic is a break open and screwing down a tang vernier puts both rear and front sights on moving planes, which is fine for sport but probably not so for comps.

The Henry single shot .45-70 is a nice rifle but too short a bbl and it's a break open, like the cheaper CVAs, etc.

For $1k or thereabouts one can find the absolute cheapest offshore sorta '74 Sharps (Chiappa, Armi Sport) that will at least make ya Look yer in the BPCR game, but with dubious quality in mind those kinda guns will be a gamble of sorts with regards to at least durability and longevity, let alone consistent accuracy.

At least with the "bottom feeder, entry level" Buff Classic one could get a foot stuck in the BPCR door for super cheap and that might lead to a Shiloh or C-Sharps or Whatever. I started with a BC a long time ago and that got me into far Far better Sharps and rollers, and great learning experiences that has still equated to lotsa fun shooting.

Are we havin' fun, yet?

Cheers,
    Rob.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Not true, you can do lever action silhouette and target with B/P and do very well. Modern highwall rifles are not out of line price wise. There are options if one is determined , 2nd. Place at Quigly this year was a young lady shooting a Miroku 1885 in 38-55 ,not a high dollar rifle and far sight better than the HR BC, terrible rifle for the game in anything bigger than 38-55 WCF .

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Not true, you can do lever action silhouette and target with B/P and do very well. Modern highwall rifles are not out of line price wise. There are options if one is determined , 2nd. Place at Quigly this year was a young lady shooting a Miroku 1885 in 38-55 ,not a high dollar rifle and far sight better than the HR BC, terrible rifle for the game in anything bigger than 38-55 WCF .
    What was the cost of the lever guns you mention? A bunch less than $1k?

An offshore hi-wall replica is still a $1000 at the least, too - I'm referencing DGW.

I don't think that most folks wanting to get into BPCR aren't looking at lever guns, I think they're mostly inspired by the falling blocks and rollers of the later part of the 19th century.

The Buff Classic is not a terrible gun for getting into the sport of BPCR, which may have been what this thread's OP was after. It IS a terrible gun for the BPCR game.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345