Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman cast boooolit book

Boolit Buddy

Lyman cast boooolit book

My Lyman cast boolit book is the 3rd edition, and unfortunately is falling apart. I was just going to order a new one but I saw on evilbay that there is a good selection of the older versions. Do any of you have experience with all the versions? Should I just snag a new one or look for a older replacement?

Thanks

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

the new edition is way better, but it depends on what your looking for.

Boolit Master

Being somewhat of a book nut too, I have all 4 editions of the Cast Bullet Handbooks. If you want a print copy, look on the used book sites(ABEBooks is one) or go to Cornell Publications(https://www.cornellpubs.com/index.php).

I tried the above link to us.archive but it wouldn't load.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Being somewhat of a book nut too, I have all 4 editions of the Cast Bullet Handbooks. If you want a print copy, look on the used book sites(ABEBooks is one) or go to Cornell Publications(https://www.cornellpubs.com/index.php).

Is the content wildly different from version to version?

Boolit Master

I wouldn't say "wildly different" but definitely updated. Others can probably be more specific.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    All depends on what you load. Over the years, I have accumulated all 4 editions. The 3rd edition is my "go to" edition . There are differences. In the 4th edition for example, it does not include the 32 S & W "Short" (which is load some of) but it is in the 3rd edition. The 3rd edition does not include the 45 Schofield cartridge (which I load) but it is in the 4th edition. The same may apply to other cartridges . . I don't know . . . all depends on what you load.

The 1st and 2nd editions I use the least . . . BUT . . . I do use them once in a while and when I do, I'm glad I have them. As noted in an above post, the 3rd edition is available on-line and I have that link bookmarked - and I use the link often even though I have a printed copy.

Fleabay is where I bought most of mine in past years.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    All depends on what you load. Over the years, I have accumulated all 4 editions. The 3rd edition is my "go to" edition . There are differences. In the 4th edition for example, it does not include the 32 S & W "Short" (which is load some of) but it is in the 3rd edition. The 3rd edition does not include the 45 Schofield cartridge (which I load) but it is in the 4th edition. The same may apply to other cartridges . . I don't know . . . all depends on what you load.

The 1st and 2nd editions I use the least . . . BUT . . . I do use them once in a while and when I do, I'm glad I have them. As noted in an above post, the 3rd edition is available on-line and I have that link bookmarked - and I use the link often even though I have a printed copy.

Fleabay is where I bought most of mine in past years.

Thanks what I needed to know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post

The archive.org site takes a while to load when you have large files. I currently have a copy downloading, and I'll let you know how big it is, filewise, for the PDF version.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    That pdf file is 354mb. Big file! Took about 11 minutes to download.

I've also got a copy of the reprint from Cornell, btw. It's hand to have both. Got a copy of the file on both my phone and tablet. Absent an EMP event, I'll be fine!

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the differences are from the editor. For my use I haven't seen much difference in the data section, but the "First Half" differs. If you do a lot of black powder cartridge loading the 4th has more info and I found the 3rd to be more new caster friendly...
    Last edited by mdi; 03-11-2022 at 01:19 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Go ahead and get the 4th Edition Cast Boolits Handbook ... new boolits by other makers , some new powders and new cartridges .
    Keep the 3rd Edition ...you will find lots of info not in #4 that6's necessary .
    Mines falling apart also ... I'm keeping it together with Elmers Glue and wide clear packing tape .
    I use both a lot ... and cross reference .
    Those are the only editions of Cast Bullet Handbook manual I have ... my other Lyman books are the
    46th edition and 50th edition Reloading Handbooks .
    It's good to keep a few older manuals around but I wouldn't go too far back in time ... so much has changed .
    I did buy Elmer Keith's 1936 book "Sixgun Cartridges & Loads" ... a good read with a lot of revelant information but a few powders are long out of production ... reloading data with good old Bullseye , Unique and 2400 are given most often .
    The book is a reprint and sells for $10.00 on Amazon ...worth every penny , just be sure and cross check Elmer's loads . He usually list a recommended load ...then the load he uses ...he was into +P+ big time so be careful .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

The first and second edition are basically the same as far as I could tell. Info in the front didn’t change and data didn’t. The second just added data to it. Neither offers rifle data with rifle powders best I recall. It’s all reduced loads.

The third had decent articles in front and added rifle data that had rifle powders. Like 31141/3031 in 30-30.

The fourth has good articles, and adds tons of data. It keeps most of the 3rds data and adds new bullets and powders. It shows some other makes of bullets like Lee’s 309-150-f in 30-30. It adds titegroup as a reduced rifle powder. It includes most of the calibers of interest other than the very new.

The 4th is the best.

If you’re looking for an exciting addendum, the RCBS cast bullet manual is fun too, but not nearly as useful.

Boolit Buddy
    Some loads are changed from Edition to Edition, by caliber and also by powder and bullet data. I use to compare all editions when looking up new loadings.

Boolit Buddy
    For reloading the 3rd and 4th. The first and second has a lot of neat info and are good historical references but not much modern day reloading info.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master
    After reading this thread I ordered the #4 Edition to go with my #3.
    Don Verna

I’m excited at the prospect of a 5th edition. I bet it won’t be long now with the 51st handbook being announced.

Boolit Master
    A few years ago I was at a gun Show and saw a reprinted version of the 2nd edition of Lyman's cast bullet handbook. Bought it and it had lots of good info. Not sure if I ever got a load out of it but it is a very useful manual. Depending on the condition of your 3rd Edition I would be tempted to replace it and get a 2nd and 4th edition of the cast bullet manuals and a 5th edition when it comes out. I just hope they include loads for 25/35 Winchester instead of/ or also 25/20. Got a 1899 Model 94 that I must feed.

Boolit Master
    I have been wanting the latest Nosler manual. At the price of manuals on evilbay, I would just buy a new book. I regularly pick up older versions at bookstores or sales I find when I am walkabout, and they are usually cheap.

Boolit Grand Master

My old original CBH #3 from the '80s was coming apart. I simply took it all the way apart separating the pages. Then I 3 hole punched the pages and put into a 3 hole binder. I insert my own load data pages and have it now separated into 2 rifle binders and a handgun binder.

I also have the last edition of CBH #3 and the 1st edition of CBH #4. I consider having both is very worthwhile for the data. The technical knowledge and up front informationin CBH #3 is much better but the data in CBH #4 is better as it has more data on various bullets for many cartridges plus newer tested loads with newer powders.

Both #3 and #4 CBHs are well worth having for the cast bullet aficionado.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast