Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The End is here?

Boolit Master

The End is here?

Are the supply constraints coming to an end for some suppliers?

Recently got into the 9mm game after years of avoiding it and finally pulled the trigger on ordering the dies and whatnot for my Dillon 650 on March 3rd. When heading in to order I fully expected long wait times as I’d seen in previous visits that Dillon dies were on 30+ week backorder.

Low and behold the conversion and quick change kits were showing in stock and shipped the next day. Dies showed on 12wk backorder. I was ok with this as I had a set I could borrow till mine arrived.

Got another notification yesterday and sure enough only 5 days in to order, Dies shipped too.

Maybe this is a sign that things are getting better for our suppliers?

I hope so but what is happening across the pond and the worldwide reaction may put a halt to the recovery. If this leads to raw materials supply disruptions we may be in for more bad times.

Boolit Master

I think you are overly optimistic.

I am not sure there is ever an end. It’s just a cycle. AWB signed by Clinton, everyone went nuts for a few years, some things didn’t get back to “normal” for a decade, when it sunset. Obama obviously anti gun, re-elected and given a media frenzy to act against firearms with Sandyhook, everyone went nuts for a few years. A worldwide pandemic followed by another antigun POTUS, police departments allowing riots, destruction of property and generally not enforcing the law (the only thing we really want them for, protect us from criminals) ~ more first time buyers than other panics.

In the end, people will get their fill and become acclimated to their situation and life goes on.

If you notice the trends, you will begin to stock up during the good years, enough to last you at least 2 terms. So you can ride out the panics like this one that is tapering off and purchase during the favorable times.

As long as you have primers and powder there is no excuse for anyone on this board to not be able to make their own boolits and load ammo.

Shot for loading shotgun shells is a little harder, but not impossible.

I bought 6000 55gr .224 bullets that Hornady over ran for .07 each a few years ago. Sold half to my Bro in Law and I still have 2000 left! And Hornady still has some left too!

So all that said, there shouldn't be any problems with ammo from this group.

I Pity the fools I see on other boards who are whining about not being able to buy loaded ammo for their guns. I tell them they need to reload. they say they are too busy or ________(insert excuse) and can't be bothered.

I don't take these people seriously as shooters who could back me up. The war will probably be fought with BYOA (Bring your own ammo.) Just sayin'.

I saw a few days ago a guy who owned a small ammo company here in the states donating 1 million rounds of AK ammo to the cause. I thought that was pretty nice of him!!!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-11-2022 at 06:03 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - listen to jmorris.....

Boolit Master

The End is here?

No matter what we all know our hobby/sport will have ups and downs. I was young but remember the Brady Bill and what it did. Have watched numerous terms come and go and what impact they’ve had. My grandpa started building “Stash” in the 50s, when he passed my dad and uncle had their own so I inherited grandpas, still using through it cause he knew how to make a deal. Example of supplies inherited, 30,000+ Western W209 primers (6 full master cases).

Now dad passed last year and I’m starting to inherit some of his supplies. I already have quite a bit myself so I’m helping my brother get setup as he previously couldn’t. Our family generally doesn’t hurt for ammo but we also have always adhered to the 7Ps. When primers come down you can get I’ll stock up a bit for next time but I’m still sitting ok now.

Word to the wise follow what others have said, stock up when things are plenty so you don’t go without when things are lean. Those who plan ahead can take advantage when everyone else has to sell at firesale pricing.

My post was more about alerting others that Dillon was starting to get back in stock so open the floodgates if needed. They’ve always been good to my family (dads 30yo 550 is going to my brother with all the modern upgrades courtesy of Dillon, I have a 650).

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    No matter what we all know our hobby/sport will have ups and downs.
    If everyone knew better, they would have stocked up on primers (they probably don’t need anyway) when they were $99/5000 not $120+/1000.

The term “suckers are born every minute” didn’t arise due to the prepared.

Kind of seems like, “buy low, sell high.” Is something an old fashioned and you can only be of status if you waste money like you are a politician.

When I walk in to the local gun shops, the equipment is approaching pre-stupid levels and in some case exceeding pre-stupid inventory levels. Some LGS's look like they may have over ordered. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to sell off what they have in stock.

Hornady bullets around here are in plentiful supply, not ALL sizes, but the vast majorities of calibers and weights. Other brands of bullets aren't in as plentiful supply but the numbers seem to be increasing slowly.

Powder is back on the shelf and is staying at least for a short while. We don't have people snatching the first can of powder they see and running.

Primers aren't in particularly good supply, very hit or miss. Weird stuff like 20,000 CCI #41 sitting on the shelf at a sporting goods store that never has sold reloading components. And they sat there for weeks.

I started building reloading component inventory after the primer shortages during Gulf War #1. I have to start shooting more so my daughter doesn't take my name in vain when I'm gone.

Only thing she is concerned with is that I leave a big stack of 22LR and 30 Carbine.

Primers and Lead.

If I can find them, small pistol primers are running around $100 to $126 per 1000.

That's more expensive than the bullet. Quite a jump from $30/1000.

All the lead mines in America are shut down. Lead shot for shotgun is getting very difficult to find. Don't know what this means for bullet producers.

This week I have bought Federal SPP for $79.99/1000. They had CCI for $74.50/1000 but they would only sell 200 at a time. That is much higher than I'd like to pay but I doubt the prices will drop for a couple of years.

StuBach- I've had a set of carbide 45LC dies on order for 52 weeks and haven't heard a peep out of Dillon. When I ordered them they were priced at $79.99, now they are $125.00 and still back ordered. Their lead times for any of the dies listed doesn't exceed 30 weeks. I finally sent an email last night. We'll see if/when they respond.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPoint View Post
    This week I have bought Federal SPP for $79.99/1000. They had CCI for $74.50/1000 but they would only sell 200 at a time. That is much higher than I'd like to pay but I doubt the prices will drop for a couple of years.

StuBach- I've had a set of carbide 45LC dies on order for 52 weeks and haven't heard a peep out of Dillon. When I ordered them they were priced at $79.99, now they are $125.00 and still back ordered. Their lead times for any of the dies listed doesn't exceed 30 weeks. I finally sent an email last night. We'll see if/when they respond.
    Must be they are focused on the most common calibers. I was blown away my whole order shipped that fast. I had worked out a deal for a loaner set of dies while I waited fully expecting that 52wk backorder they had been reporting.

I have had such a supply I haven’t needed to buy supplies in several years and opted to go by the Bass Pro Shop the other day. Not a sign of powder or primers to be seen. Did have some equipment and a bunch of ammo. Prices on cheap 9mm were $24/50 which is way to high for my tastes.

Boolit Master
    Went to the Kalispell gun show today and there was plenty of most of the common calibers of ammo was available as well as primers, powder and 22lr. However the prices were stupid high.

The local gun shows here in south Florida are awash with powder and primers. Very few are buying though as prices are very high.
    Regards,

Gary

The firearms and ammo market went full wonky with the election of Barack Obama in November 2008. That is 14 years ago. It has had ups and downs depending on American politics and world events since that time. However, it has never returned to the pre-Obama level and never will. This "thing" will never end, there will just be lulls between the storms. Any shooter with any sense, will stock up during the next lull for another storm will soon be on it's way. There will come a time where there will not be another lull, just one everlasting storm.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Char, I agree. We actually might be at the time you referred to. Between Democrats, Covid and the shock to supply chain due to the Russia/Ukraine war, I do not see an end to this “thing”.
    Last edited by Shawlerbrook; 04-16-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I think more recently folks have had to choose between gas in their vehicle / increased $$ for groceries (everything else for that matter) vs continuing to buy primers at $125 / brick just because a box or two are available. Continue hoarding vs reality (mom's car is out of gas).

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Horn Ridge View Post
    I think more recently folks have had to choose between gas in their vehicle / increased $$ for groceries (everything else for that matter) vs continuing to buy primers at $125 / brick just because a box or two are available. Continue hoarding vs reality (mom's car is out of gas).
    And I expect to see people selling guns and reloading stuff if things continue this way. That means people needing money to live as well as people getting rid of guns they cannot or do not shoot.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    And I expect to see people selling guns and reloading stuff if things continue this way. That means people needing money to live as well as people getting rid of guns they cannot or do not shoot.
    I agree. Unfortunately most of those folks have proabably been hoarding tupperware items or high cap hardware. If you're into levers or revolvers you'll probably weather the storm and hopefully see brighter days, eventually.

Frosted Boolits

Like Jmorris said, it’s a cycle. If you’ve been reloading for any period of time you know the drill. Stock up when you can. Otherwise let your guns sit in the safe till things return to “normal”. I have a hard time feeling sorry for guys that have been through several ups and downs and still complain about shortages. Obama getting elected burned me the first and last time on reloading components.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast