Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 215 gr, fOR a .38 special

Boolit Buddy

215 gr, fOR a .38 special

I've done this before now but I brought another Accurate molds 215 gr. mold(and yes, it's a SWC) and I've forgotten what was the powder weight I used. I'd like to use HP-38 (W-231). this mold was quite accurate in my model 28 S&W but it's been a long time since then. actually it pours out at 223 gr's.(a lot of lead in my lead pot. and yes, I"ll be using .38 special cases. the Lyman book and hodgdon book only go up to 170 gr.s. I"m thinking of about 3.5 gr.s of 231 max. loaad??? anyone!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Slower powder better. I use 8 grains IMR4227 in my S&W .38-44 Heavy Duty.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for the reply, I've got some Hs-6 that i'm going to try also. actually this is all with the idea to use up some of the 6-7 lb,s of Hs-6 powder that I have.

Boolit Grand Master
    pakmc ~ Check out the LASC site for an author named Glen Fryxel. He writes lots of articles on cast bullets and one in particular just might have the info you seek. Find "A Bullet For All Seasons". It's about a cast .357, 215 grain, semi-wad cutter and it's various applications.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for the reply, I've got some Hs-6 that i'm going to try also. actually this is all with the idea to use up some of the 6-7 lb,s of Hs-6 powder that I have.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks bullet Master, I looked on the lasc and looked up glen Fryxel and there was good info for me and I think we're useing the same bullet! thanks again for the info.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi .45Dude, I"m using a 215gr. mold from accurate Molds. it's a great mold. so far, 2.5 gr.s of HP-38, 4 gr's of unique and/or 5 gr's of HS-6 is what I've tried. I'm using a model 28 S& W. but I'haven't gotten to the range yet with these loads. just some shots into a big piece of lead. so far, these loading are not ***** cats. these are serious loads. Im trying to get a clean burning load for revolvers. MY problem is the old powder behind the star trick!. and of course the other problem is getting the powder ( or using what you ) my case is using what I have.

Boolit Master
    Using a 27 or 28 Smith the cylinder is shorter than a 19. With my 19 I can I can crimp a 200 boolit in the crimp groove but using a 27 I have to crimp over the front band or the end of the boolit will stick out of the cylinder. Winchester had a load with W231 <HP38>using a 200 lead boolit in 38 special in the older manuals. <70s>
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 03-14-2022 at 01:27 AM.