Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Bulge bust 9mm

Boolit Buddy

Bulge bust 9mm

What are you guys using to bulge bust your 9mm brass? I read somewhere that you could use the 9mm crimp die, I tried that before and the brass got stuck and I had to hammer it out of the die. If you can provide some part numbers so I don't mess this up.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stanford View Post
    What are you guys using to bulge bust your 9mm brass? I read somewhere that you could use the 9mm crimp die, I tried that before and the brass got stuck and I had to hammer it out of the die. If you can provide some part numbers so I don't mess this up.

Thanks
    The 9mm Luger is actually a tapered case. The 9mm Luger Factory Crimp Die is too small by about 7 or 8 thousandths to pass the case head. When it was marketed as such, you used the 9mm makarov factory crimp die. They dont market it as such, but you can still by the lee bulge buster kit and the 9mm Mak FCD and bulge bust the 9mm cases. I have to for a tight chambered 1911, where reloaded ammo doesn't chamber.

Boolit Master

I use my rollsizer.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Vendor Sponsor

I have one from Mighty Armory, and it works very well.

https://www.mightyarmory.com/collect...9mm-sizing-die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Boolit Master
    Bulge busting doesn't resolve the damage from plastic yielding. If you're intent on reusing in an unsupported chamber Grock, Don't. Blowouts are not fun.

For use in another gun, at lower pressures it's likely ok.

Yeah there's the guy who says Been dooin that forever.....but

Blow ups in Glocks from Gen 3 up are virtually non existent. Been doin' it forever, but on .40 S&W's which are much worse than 9MMs. 9MM cases are tapered and are much stronger than .40's S&W cases.

The vast majority of Glock Blow Ups were in Gen 1 and 2 G22's not 9MM's

This was also largely a brass problem and the culprits were Federal First Gen cases with a FC or FC10 head stamp. These cases didn't have the web in the case head high enough to reinforce the case at the 'Unsupported" area of the chamber. This was corrected by 2005.

All good now. This was discussed at length in 2008 here when I first showed up.

Thanks Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Para LDA 1640 122.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Good info Randy!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    get a storm lake barrel and never look back

Boolit Master
    Bulge bust the empty case or the loaded round?

As Randy said, the guppy bellied “Glocked” case was mainly found in early generation 40 cal Glock pistols. The problem largely went away when the barrels were redesigned. But, in the time the problem was common, roll sizers and push through dies were designed to reshape the cases (sizing with a regular sizing die was still needed afterwards). The sizers (I use a CasePro) are still used today for calibers popular in action pistol because competitors found the rounds loaded with brass processed this way were more consistent.

Reloaded 9mm rounds using fired cases that don’t have the factory external taper may have a wasp waist or Coke bottle look from the cylindrical portion of the bullet (especially if the diameter is over nominal), or even an actual sidewall bulge from the base of the bullet if it is seated deep enough to hit the sidewall’s web. The first is not a problem. The second might be. I’ve heard folks recommend the Lee FCD as a remedy for the second issue, but have also read that the swaging down of the bullet may cause it’s own problems with accuracy and leading (in the case where cast is used).