Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Rem Model 6 32 Boys Rifle

Moderator Emeritus

Rem Model 6 32 Boys Rifle

The wheels are spinning re a Remington Model 6 Boys Rifle in .32 short / .32 long rimfire calibre at a not-too-distant (NTD) gunshop which appears to be in pretty good condition and sports a US $399.99 price tag. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Model 6 Rem.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	297316 (Among a zillion other things) I know nothing about rifles in this calibre other than my suspicion re scarcity of ammo compounded with the fact that ammo in New York State may only be purchased ftf -- no mail-order -- which exacerbates this aspect.

I seek suggestions re "is it a worthwhile addition?" to a modest firearm collection? ...as well as germane thoughts on this -- e.g., if it is a classic and/or desirable firearm to possess?

Thanks much!
    geo

I think they're a pretty neat gun. But then I think most guns are.
    Strength of them is on the weak side, but they can be made to shoot still today.

Boolit Master
    you will need to weigh for yourself the lengths your willing to go through to create or find ammo for that thing. ive lost track of all the marlins in 32 I have passed up because of what would be involved in making or finding ammo to shoot. without ammo its just an expensive door stop. there are certain guns that there is little to no ammo available that in my mind are worthwhile, one example is the original Henry or later 1866's in 44RF.
    but everyone is different with different experiences and opinions and variety is the spice of life.

IMO, $400 is all the money for one, if not a bit over the top, considering the chambering. (the price might be OK for a .22RF)

IME, the folks that really desire one are usually avid Remington or "boy's rifle" collectors.
    Last edited by pietro; 03-08-2022 at 11:00 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    Don Verna

Jack Harrison, who sometimes posts here as <tenmile> has everything you need to make reloadable .32RF ammo. Use the search string "299153" on Gunbroker to find his offerings. (299153 is the Lyman mould number for the correct heeled bullet). I personally prefer to use 6mm "acorn blanks" in his adapters as primer for 1.5 grains of Bullseye as a load. Jack still likes to use nailgun loads, but I find them difficult to punch out of the adapters. Several sources for the acorn blanks. Last lot I bought came from Gun Dog Supply. (They're use for training dogs.)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/926347705

The above link includes a little tutorial on loading the .32 Long Colt.
    Last edited by uscra112; 03-08-2022 at 12:48 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks to all! As general, too, from your posts I learned a lot! (If I was a few years younger I'd look into that .22 > .32 case doo-hickey from Dixie -- neato and clever product!). From your comments my enthusiasm to obtain this firearm has waned... I now have decided to allow someone else -- anyone -- to execute purchase. I reckon I'm just toooo old to start playing with a new to me calibre I cannot readily cast/load/shoot.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I bought .32 heeled bullets from Old West Bullet Moulds: https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/
    .32 extra long off center primer socket cases from: RCC Brass https://www.rccbrass.com (used with low powered Ramset squib as primer or a higher power Ramset alone with no powder)
    Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G4hs8XEOzQ , I use his die set. Youtube has several .32 rf reloading videos.
    Also look up "Prime All" if you have any spent .32RF cases, you can reprime and load them.

EdZ KG6UTS
    #2 Remington Rolling Block .32RF, extra long

I haven't kept up with Jack's .32 project. He's a valuable resource, and no mistake. That's a clever kit he's got there.

Got my own scheme that uses modified .310 tong tool dies to size and seat. Since I use the 6mm acorn caps and not the nailgun loads, depriming doesn't need a press at all. But I do need a powder measure, since I load about 1.5 grains of Bullseye.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I have the nut cracker for my .45-70 Sharps but have not tried for the .32RF. The little 26" rolling block is an elegant little rifle.
    EdZ

It is indeed. Much better made than the Stevens and Hopkins & Allen counterparts. I started using Jack's rimfire adaptors because mine is too near mint to be altering it to centerfire, the way I have the others.
    Last edited by uscra112; 03-15-2022 at 11:11 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Pacific Pistol Powder Measure that I got cheap off Ebay years ago because the slide was broken, sent Buckshot the measurements and he made me a slide that, with literally one swipe with a file, fit perfectly. I got some 1/2 inch brass round stock and cut off 1/2" pieces. I don't remember the number drill I used for a 1gr BE opening but I managed it, and opening the top a little and I got 1.2 gr BE, and a little more and I got 1.5grBE.

So, if you can find a Pacific Pistol Powder measure and can cut brass, you can do the same!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Should watch for one of those myself. Doing more and more with these tiny cartridges needing tiny charges of powder.
    Cognitive Dissident