Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lee mould disappointment.

New lee mould disappointment.

I bought a new lee 429-200-RF from a vendor on eBay. Well, after the usual burr inspection and removal it casts great. Then the measurements... .427 across one section.

I called lee. A gent answered and after a few minutes interrogation I was told sure send it back. He said probably a couple months wait. Guess we’ll see.

I asked the vendor If they’ll send me another one but they said they don’t have another one, even though they have one listed for sale. So, they don’t want to fool with me.

I’ll see what lee will do I reckon.

Boolit Master
    I have had similar issues with lee in the past. I say open it up yourself if you have the know how. Lots of info on how to do it on here.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I had the same thing with my 429-lee mold. tried a bunch of different things and nothing worked. the best I could get was .427 as well.
    my last move was to open the mold up, didn't work out like I thought it would.

I haven’t ever lapped a mould for diameter issues. I’ve lapped one so it’d drop freely. I tried to lap an iron mould and it was hard as woodpecker lips and didn’t budge much so I give up.

Boolit Grand Master

You can easily increase diameter by up to about 0.003" by Beagling.

Then as mentioned above is lapping. If you use automotive valve lapping compound it will remove aluminum pretty quickly. It also works for iron moulds, just takes a little longer. You should be able to open up a Lee mould by 0.002" pretty quickly.

If you haven't seen the detailed write ups take a look here:

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/default.html

Of course lapping is a permanent change so no going back once you start... and no returning it to Lee.

Longbow

I appreciate the response longbow.

I contacted the seller I bought it from and they replaced the mould with a new one since lee was out of stock. They even sent me a shipping label and padded envelope to return it. We’ll see if the new one has any issues.

Not sure if you powder coat but it would probably increase the diameter of your bullet to .429 or so

No I don’t powder coat. I know it’ll increase the diameter some. I have some other bullets I’m going to coat come spring I think.

Boolit Master
    Odd-- I just bought the Lee 429-200 myself (two weeks ago) and mine drops at 0.429-- Which is a little funny under the circumstances because I discovered they shoot better in my 44-40 revolver when I size them down to 0.427
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

I haven't had any problem with my molds but my new .309 size die sizes .311

Boolit Grand Master

When dealing with Lee Products ... you never know what you going to get ...
    ... sorta like a box of chocolates ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I know, I generally try their moulds first. I have had about 50/50 success with them. The good ones I hold onto like they were money.

Boolit Mold

I cast some Lee 476-400-RF bullets out of COWW and powder coated them. The ones I didn't shoot I set aside and 2 years later I just mic'd them at .483. They definitely grew a couple thousands after sitting. I just went ahead and sized them in an NOE die bushing to .479 and did a second pass at .478 with a Lee sizer die, ready to load them up. I did powder coat them with a semi-thick coat of Eastwood Ford Blue, but nowhere near .002 worth. They definitely grew larger in diameter. I used straight Alox to tumble lube them before sizing them.
    ABS Apprentice Bladesmith
    USMC Veteran
    VFW Life Member

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
    Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
    Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918

I have some bullets i cast from wws that have been setting atleast 2 years. They ain’t growed any if much. I’ve never experienced bullets getting larger by any significant amount.

Boolit Master
    That is two of us and I let cast stuff sit around a long time. Once I start casting I normally dont stop until its dark. Lots of bullets in coffee cans for long periods of time. Years if not decades.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master

Many times it's not the Mould but the alloy, the alloy temp and method of pouring that cause smaller diameter across one section, especially on larger bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Many times it's not the Mould but the alloy, the alloy temp and method of pouring that cause smaller diameter across one section, especially on larger bullets.
    And on top of all what Larry says ...it could be the Phase of the Moon and you also have to hold your mouth right ... Casting isn't so much an art but some science and Black Magic and experience and some luck .
    I've been casting over 50 years and still don't have it near about figured out .
    Reminds me of women ... ain't got them figured out either .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I bought a new lee 429-200-RF from a vendor on eBay. Well, after the usual burr inspection and removal it casts great. Then the measurements... .427 across one section.
    I bought the same mold. Same issue. Bullets are out of round. They measure .428 one way and .427 90° from that. I only bought the mold so that I can play with my .44-40 until my accurate mold gets here. I guess I'll try beagling.

Well, the new mould casts out of round/undersized also. One bullet is .428 the other .427.

I got to choose now, send it back to lee and wait and get another mould that sucks, or I might try beagling with tape. Never done that. I’ve bout had it with lee moulds. I do have several that cast great and that’s what I think about when I consider a lee mould.... what if the next one is a good one? Dagnabit.

Boolit Grand Master

Stop measuring them ... Just use a die marked with the dia. you want , size , lube , load and shoot ... Don't measure nothing ...
    Ignorance can be a very blissful thing !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast