Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: M1 Carbine trigger

M1 Carbine trigger

These triggers stink on the M1's I've rechearched trigger jobs and can't seem to find anything. Most places are saying there's nothing much you can do to fix 'em. Anyone ever done a trigger job on these. I`d like to make mine better with about a 2 1/2 lb. pull.
    I find it hard to believe you can`t improve these triggers.
    buzzard`s gotta eat, same as the worms
    Josey Wales

Boolit Buddy
    Leave it alone. It's not safe to screw with them.

It's a battle implement, not a target rifle...

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    One thing you might be able to do is install a reduced power hammer spring. But these can lead to FTFire with mil-spec primers.

If you start filing parts, though, you're just going to end up with doubling or even uncontrolled full-auto.

Super Moderator

Completely agree on not messing with it! The hammer/sear parts are hardened, and it's not recommended to remove material from them. I know some guys who have switched parts around from different trigger groups to achieve a slightly better trigger pull, but that's not really practical unless you happen to have a bunch of parts laying around. If you must however, here is a video showing how to stone the fore-mentioned parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBpRwM1-xWQ

sounds like I might need to leave it alone and call her good to go.
    Josey Wales

Boolit Man
    I did a trigger job on one years ago and used it in 3 gun matches, the shots were a 100 yds at most so it was better than an AR at the time. I don't remember exactly what I did but I do remember I used the milling machine and mounted a fine grinding wheel on the spindle then made a pin that fit the hole in the trigger and mounted that in the machine vise. I rotated the trigger against the grinding wheel and could control the amount I removed with the mill table. It wasn't a 2# match trigger but it made a huge difference and turned out really nice, probably shot a couple thousand rounds through it and never had an issue or any problems with it.

Boolit Buddy
    I did a trigger job on my M1 carbine it's easy to do being a very simple trigger, BUT I did mine 14 years ago and don't remember exactly what I did
    BUT when I do a trigger job I first get factory parts in case I make an oops
    and then I square up all edges and make the hammer or sear engage less, I thin on the carmine I worked the hammer, all a trigger consists of are two kotches that catch and when you pull the trigger it releases
    so I make one "catch" or kotch shorter in this case I think on the hammer I used a stone and work it, reassemble test over and over until it's were I want
    then clean and fire it a bunch, I make snapper caps out of resized unprimed cases and fill primer hole with RTV as a firing pin saver, you want to work the trigger because sometime they work in and get lighter so dry fire away (with snapper)
    then with the rifle cocked I slam the butt into a carpeted floor, not so hard that the stock will crack but a good wack as if a loaded gun was dropped and see if it fires
    I use a wheeler trigger pull scale they work great and don't cost much, I love they gun smith tools, great low cost things

DIY feels good when you are done
    no worry if you have back-up parts
    M1 Carbine is very easy to work on , so much info and parts, not much to lose
    it's very much like a 10/22 trigger in how I worked the hammer

Rick

Boolit Grand Master

The M1 carbine triggers can be improved but a 2 1/2 lb reliable trigger is probably a stretch.

What I learned to do is is to lightly stone the sear engagement surfaces only to smooth them up. They are hardened as mentioned so only a little stoning with a fine finish stone is done. Then I put a dab of silver solder on the back of the sear notch on the hammer. The silver solder dab can then lightly filed back to get proper and, most importantly, reliable sear hammer engagement. A dab of lube on the surfaces helps also. Thus I've gotten the pull down to 4 lbs +/- on most of the M1 Carbines I've done this to.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The M1 carbine triggers can be improved but a 2 1/2 lb reliable trigger is probably a stretch.

What I learned to do is is to lightly stone the sear engagement surfaces only to smooth them up. They are hardened as mentioned so only a little stoning with a fine finish stone is done. Then I put a dab of silver solder on the back of the sear notch on the hammer. The silver solder dab can then lightly filed back to get proper and, most importantly, reliable sear hammer engagement. A dab of lube on the surfaces helps also. Thus I've gotten the pull down to 4 lbs +/- on most of the M1 Carbines I've done this to.
    a 4lb. trigger would be a huge plus compared to what I’ve got now. Do you have any pics of the solder dab you put on it. I know it would be a pain to disassemble it for pics.
    Josey Wales

My CMP Inland .30 carbine had a less than good pull. Years back my shooting buddy & I visited Gerald "Hook" Boutin in Bremen, GA. "Hook" was the chief armorer for the AMU @ Benning when they were shooting the M1 Garand. After he worked his magic on our Garands, we stopped by the CMP HQ in nearby Anniston, AL to see if we could get some advice on improving the carbine triggers.

Those CMP people treated us with the greatest possible respect. We were told that the engagement surfaces have a very slight "hook" built in to the design. They did not recommend altering the engagement surfaces. However they had 55 gal drum of trigger housing groups & they assigned two people to go through many triggers & exchanged our trigger group for ones that were a definitely better.

Due to manufacturing tolerances some triggers are better than others.

Those CMP people are the best.

Henry