MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginning to cast bullets - pot selection?

Boolit Bub
    If you don’t mind used equipment check your local classifieds for a Lee 4-20 downpour or whatever might be for sale. I’d stay awake from the 10 pound pots since you’re casting some heavies with that caliber. I saw a moderately used saeco with the built in temp gauge for $60 on Craigslist. Search hard and you’ll come across something

Boolit Master
    lee 10lb pot has worked fine for me for 20 years .i cast for 22/357mag/308 and 45-70.i cast for about an hour at a time and get about 300 boolits using 2 x 2 cavity molds,the amount your going to shoot the 10lb pot will be fine.

Boolit Master
    If you plan to shoot a fair bit I would go with the 4-20. I have casted thousands with mine and it still works great.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I like my Lee 20lb bottom pour. Doesn't leak. Maintains heat fairly well. I use it for the 450gn .50 cal bullets as well as various other rifle and pistol bullets.
    Plus they sell parts for the pot very reasonable. Pretty hard to beat the Lee 4-20.

Boolit Grand Master
    I cast with a ladle all the time , never any problems with that or my Lee pot
    I cast from 30- to 50 cal use a ladle on all of them, see no reason to change to a drip o matic
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius1963 View Post
    Good morning all,

I'm starting out on casting bullets for a couple of rifles (.577 Enfield, and 45/70 Sharps - both modern replicas). I'll be shooting approximately once or twice per month, and probably no more than 12-15 bullets on each occasion.

I've been told that the Lee 10lb pot is too small to consistently form these larger bullets, and also that a portable electric ring and metal paint pot, using a ladle is an alternative.

Id value any advice on this matter, the more straightforward the better!

Ill be using a RCBS mould.

Many thanks

Whoever told you that a lee 10# pot can't pour a large bullet .. doesn't have the correct skill to do so.

Casting is a multi operation process. you have your pot.. you have your metal to replenish the pot, and you have the mold. You have to get the mold up to temp.. perhaps almost to frosting to start casting good. I tend to like a mold a hair hot and then manage it by cycle times. hot molds drop better bullets than cold molds. mold material makes a difference in heat.. aluminum heats and cools faster than iron and brass.. etc.
    A lee 10# bottom pour pot for sure flows enough lead to fill large cavity molds. I routinely make 500 gr .457 and .69 cal round ball. 14 .457's is a pound of lead....
    I keep the next lead that goes into the pot up on the top of the pot to be warm. when that lead goes in it doesn't hit the pot heat like a cold bar will. also.. don't let your pot run low.. low pots loose some of the heating element area.. and have less heat density to share. I never let a pot get more than 1.5# low. And when feeding your pot.. I like to feed it in 1/2 pound or so increments. using mini ingots.. or mini muffins.. vs letting it choke on huge 2.5 # muffin or 1# full ingots. those will suck your heat.

So.. manage your mold temp.. keep the pot topped up.. and keep the pot refill bars warmed. You should have no problem making large projectiles.

Boolit Master
    I have the Lee Magnum Melter 20 lb for ladle casting and the Lee 4-20 bottom pour. Both work very well. My past, 1960's, included a Lyman 10lb pot on the kitchen stove or a Coleman single burner stove with a Lyman ladle, back then single cavity molds were standard and double and four cavities expensive and limited. For ladle casting you want a Lyman or RCBS ladle, a small RotoMetals MIGHT work. The Lee 10 lb would probably work but the 20 pound is just easier to work with, maintaining temperature and needing less wait time when adding lead, not much more cost. A lead thermometer is a valuable investment in getting started, long ago, BEFORE THE INTERNET, information on casting was scarce. This the best of times for bullet casters, except for wheel weights.......

Boolit Mold
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and just joined. I am in the same boat as Jsancho3. Just getting started. Thanks for all the great information on pot sizes and ladle vs bottom pour.

I'll add the question of what size ladle to get and where? Midway has mostly 1 1/2 oz ladels.

I just came into 225 lbs of mixed lead and want to first melt some down into clean ingots and then cast. I will be casting for 400-500 grain .475 bullets and .562 round balls.

Does anyone make a bigger ladle that still fits the 4" opening of most of the above pots?

Mountain Meadow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Meadow View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and just joined. I am in the same boat as Jsancho3. Just getting started. Thanks for all the great information on pot sizes and ladle vs bottom pour.

I'll add the question of what size ladle to get and where? Midway has mostly 1 1/2 oz ladels.

I just came into 225 lbs of mixed lead and want to first melt some down into clean ingots and then cast. I will be casting for 400-500 grain .475 bullets and .562 round balls.

Does anyone make a bigger ladle that still fits the 4" opening of most of the above pots?

Mountain Meadow
    This is my bullet casting and melting pot. I cast 370 and 435 gr. maxi-balls and use a larger ladle. 13 ounce capacity ladle I made myself. I found that larger bullets need to be cast filling the cavity faster to eliminate premature freezing.......... which is what causes wrinkles. What you are looking at, is a turkey fryer burner, a 6 quart cast iron dutch oven and a standard BBq propane bottle. Each batch melts 60 pounds of alloy at a shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0802161554_Burst01.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Mountain Meadow, Welcome aboard.

The RCBS ladle will be fine for casting your bullets.

For making ingots, something on the order of a soup ladle will work better. I use a one pint sauce pan as a ladle when making ingots with my angle iron ingots (about 2-3 pounds). Of course to use a big ladle effectively you need a bigger pot than a twenty pound one to dip from. Mine is an eight inch section of 8" schedule 80 iron pipe with a bottom of ¼" plate welded on.

Robert

Boolit Master

Furthering triggerhappy243's post, my pot for LARGE melts is one half of a propane tank. The rest is the same. I make 100-pound alloy melts of 50% lead and 50% clip-on wheel weights that are poured into 3-pound ingot molds. To the 20-pound pot I add 2% tin by weight.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I have only got a Lee 10# pot. Given to me by a friend who is notorius for his "devil may care" attiude about care of equipment. I have dropped this thing from about waist high (it wasn't hot) still works fine but only bent up and super UGLY. I'm not casting the quantities ya'll are talking about,but have no problem with 405 gr. hollow base 45/70 bullets.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master

My Lee 10# bottom pour is super ugly..but works.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Meadow View Post

Mountain Meadow
    Consider a Rowell ladle for casting ingots. They make them in several different sizes, and they're much more durable than soup ladles.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/catalogs...=rowell+ladles
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12