Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tx Hog Hunters: best caliber to build?

Boolit Master

Tx Hog Hunters: best caliber to build?

So I'm giving into the temptation to build a pig gun, because pork is the clearest indication that the universe was created by a loving god that I can think of.

I have a few friends who hunt pigs regularly, and I want to join in. But I don't really have anything appropriate. All my .30 rifles are bolt except my .30-30 lever gun, and I'm thinking I'd like to put something more modern. A new upper for my AR would probably be the fastest and least expensive path, but in what caliber?

Also, is cast even worth the trouble, or would I have cycle issues?

Subsonic with a suppressor would be great for shooting at groups, but I know the heavy, subsonic rounds have a trajectory like a brick.

Or am I better off just buying a complete AR-10 and adding another .308 rifle to my collection?

I'm hoping someone has been down this road and can warn me away from the more costly mistakes.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

It depends on how many at a time you think you'll run into.
    Even if its only 2-3 at a time, I'd still get some form or fashion of semi-auto.

A buddy got to hunt a spot years ago that had an infestation.
    He found where they'd come down to a stock tank en-mass.
    He used a AR with the heavier bullets, and when the front of the pack was out in the water,
    he stood up and started hosing them off from the back to the front.

I'm not a big 5.56 fan for hunting, but he got 12 that morning with his.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

I kill hogs regularly with 22 LR (in a trap); 45 acp; 223, 308, and 300 AAC.....just name your poison and you will be fine! In my 300 AAC it is suppressed but I dont use subsonic on hogs as like you said the bullets drop like a brick. With a suppressor and subsonic they will hear the brass being ejected and if ya get into a mess of them all bets are off when the first squeal happens. I use a kill light at about 75 yards and have had good success with a bolt or ar style. Hope this helps....but the thing I think of is calibers and styles are a lot like fishing lures.....they hook the buyer more often than the fish...but enjoy the trip and buy what suits you and that you shoot well! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

300 BO or the 30 hamr in carbine or pistol depending how you hunt. Supers only, about 150gr but the 125 sst is supposed to be good. Little more powders pace in the hamr but I can get 2k fps in carbine with the 145. Recoil isn't bad and weight is nothing like an ar10. Friend's wife was shooting with bolt (7 something), couldn't get the follow up fast enough so she's using the 223 AR now. They run FAST.
    My pistol I can carry walking on on 4wheeler. 1800 fps with 145gr or 1600 with 170gr.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bopistol.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	297336
    Last edited by popper; 03-08-2022 at 04:08 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Don’t hunt them myself but I’ve seen some pretty impressive videos using 12 gauge buck.

Banner Sponsor

Well, I'm not a TX Hog Hunter, but I do hunt them in Arkansas... About the biggest we see here is 250-300#, generally they are around 150-180ish.
    I have a 7.62x39 AR Pistol with a 10" barrel that I use sometimes. The 7.62x39 takes it own caliber specific magazines.

I load the 123 Barnes TAC X and get sub 1" groups.

I also have a Ruger AR556 in 450 Bushmaster with the 18 5/8" barrel. The 450 uses a single shot follower in a standard mag, or you can just buy 450 magazines.

With Hornady 250 FTXs this thing is scary accurate.

I have had some success with cast in the 450 with the MP 45 Ruger Only Powder Coated.

I have Tromix Linear Comps on both of them that really helps to control the muzzle blast.
    The 300 BO barrels have a 1:7 twist I believe.
    The 7.62x39 barrels have a 1:10 twist
    Not sure on the 300 Hammer

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by lar45; 03-06-2022 at 09:00 PM.

The 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC work real well, but expensive to lose brass. When I'm actually hunting them, I use either my .223 or .300BO AR15s with fast jacketed bullets. Dispatching trapped hogs- whatever I have with me; .22LR to 12 gauge.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

How about a 350 Legend? Mine shoot NOE 182 gr WFN and RCBS 200 gr FN well. In AR 10.5" & 20" TC 12", REM M Seven (JES rebore with my reamer) Also 12.7 x 42 with LEE 440 gr FN.

Boolit Master
    My son lives on a ranch near San Angelo and probably averages 3-5 hogs killed every week. He uses an AR in 5.56 and a .308 bolt gun, both suppressed. You rarely get more than 1-2 shots unless the report is muffled - but I’ve seen him kill quite a few with the suppressor in place - because they can’t figure out what’s happening.

I’ve shot pigs with a night vision scope on a 5.56 and not one dropped close enough to find in the dark - we located them days later when we saw the buzzards. None ran very far but were sufficiently lost if I had wanted to butcher one for food. On the other hand, my 45-70 Marlin with 300 gr Sierra HP pills drops them in their tracks.

Point is - you need enough gun unless you just want to shoot and let them die later.
    Last edited by HWooldridge; 03-06-2022 at 08:38 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC work real well, but expensive to lose brass. When I'm actually hunting them, I use either my .223 or .300BO AR15s with fast jacketed bullets. Dispatching trapped hogs- whatever I have with me; .22LR to 12 gauge.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    These work well https://brassgoat.com/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

45-70 lever gun.
    OR 12ga with Svarog Zevrboy slugs:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	svarog_zevrboy.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	297248

This is what the slug does to gel:
    https://youtu.be/7Xg_z61SyDU
    It'll stop a charging hog.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

i wouldn't bother to hunt with subsonic loads with an AR. As soon as the first one is hit, they are going scatter, likely stop one time for another standing shot and be gone. You typically get the same thing with supers suppressed. Plus, after getting the range for a good subsonic shot, after they move and are past 100 yards, you are going to be guessing on holdovers.

Subsonic suppressed sounds like a good idea, is fun at the range, but doesn't really work in the real world as well as we'd like.

And to really answer your question, I like the 300 hamr and 300 blk. I've hunted with the 6.5 grendel, and various bolt actions. I am currently working on AR10s in .260 rem and 358 winchester.

I don't find myself too handicapped with a bolt action. I can typically get 2-6 out of a group depending on cover and conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Well, I'm not a TX Hog Hunter, but I do hunt them in Arkansas... About the biggest we see here is 250-300#, generally they are around 150-180ish.
    I have a 7.62x39 AR Pistol with a 10" barrel that I use sometimes. The 7.62x39 takes it own caliber specific magazines.

I load the 123 Barnes TAC X and get sub 1" groups.

I also have a Ruger AR556 in 450 Bushmaster with the 18 5/8" barrel. The 450 uses a single shot follower in a standard mag, or you can just buy 450 magazines.

With Hornady 250 FTXs this thing is scary accurate.

I have had some success with cast in the 450 with the MP 45 Ruger Only Powder Coated.

I have Tromix Linear Comps on both of them that really helps to control the muzzle blast.
    The 300 BO barrels have a 1:7 twist I believe.
    The 7.62x39 barrels have a 1:10 twist
    Not sure on the 300 Hammer

Hope this helps.
    I'm very confused by this post. Are you saying these groups are out of a pistol?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Banner Sponsor

I am sorry, I forgot the "-" in the address for the pistol pictures.

I built a 6.8 upper. Haven't hunted it yet but it smacks steel really hard at 300y, about as far as i feel its practical in the field. Brass isnt that expensive & dont care if i lose a few hunting.
    Btw, s&b brass is very good & their fmj ammo isnt ridiculously priced.
    Last edited by fredj338; 03-06-2022 at 10:46 PM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I'm intrigued by the .450 bushmaster, especially after reading on it a bit.

I was initially trying to stay .30 so I could use a .30 suppressor, which could also do double duty on a .223 without much loss of efficiency.

But after doing more reading, I think I'm leaning toward to .300 ham'r. The performance is impressive out to 200 yards, and that's plenty of range for pigs. A suppressor will still be helpful, even with supersonic ammo.

Anyone cast for .300 ham'r?

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I have the 458 Socom and really wish could make a hog hunt. But I am due north up by Canadian border and do not think it will. Good luck whichever way you go. GW

The other suggestion I have is 350 legend...
    My buddies in Texas use this...

This is a video of my buddy Ben shooting a gelatin gummy bear with a soft lead round going about 2000 feet / second...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iddnwKmwn6c

However, if you want to make sure a charging hog stops - use the 12ga slugs.
    WWG1WGA

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Ms killed 2 with a 30-30 I've killed 5 with 45 Colts in Carbines .

6.8 SPC is a good choice . There is a guy that shoots them for hire with one . He's killed 2-3,000 with his and a couple of buddies in the last 2 years . I don't know if that's good or not .

I saw several videos testing noise levels with suppression vs impact noise oddly enough at 10' from the muzzle and 10' from an hour old kill the bullet hit on meat over heavy bone was louder than the muzzle report .

The 450 , 458 whatever's need a heavy to shoot reasonably flat to 200 yrs or your just beating up yourself and your gun . With cast the 6.8 with an NOE 279-124 will meet the 1000# at 1000 mark and with a moderate alloy will expand some and not splatter on bone . A 20" rifle gas barrel helps some .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banner Sponsor

I've always thought the 6.8SPC would make a great mini Mauser bolt action. CZ should offer one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast