MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 350 Legend What cast boolits are you using? Powder?

Boolit Master

350 Legend What cast boolits are you using? Powder?

My wife & I went to LGS and she'd been eying a 350 Legend. We came home with a Winchester XRP & 2 boxes of 180gr Winchester Power Points ammo at $40ea. One of the owners of the LGS knows I reload and he said he'd save his brass for me. This is strictly a plinking gun mostly at 50yrds but at best 100yrds. I have some .358-359 molds I might be able to size down to try but I wanted to know what others are using. It's still in the box I have to slug the bore still. I have several powders that might work as well, what's working for you?

Boolit Master
    Slug the barrel. My Ruger is a true 350 Legend. So pistol bullets it is. I know some of the guns were made to shoot larger bullets. Mostly the ARs. Do a search we have a thread going already on this Lots of good info. I am playing with the Lee RF molds. Cant remember the weight. 158 I think.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

XPR here:

Any Cast: size 0.357
    Jacketed: Recommend SPEER 180 358 HotCore(Lee-Sized to 0.356)

Norma-200 1st choice (Big Time)
    RL-7 come in #2
    Being a Bolt gun: W296/H110 & LilGun play well w/o the nastiness they show in an AR action

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Slug the barrel. My Ruger is a true 350 Legend. So pistol bullets it is. I know some of the guns were made to shoot larger bullets. Mostly the ARs. Do a search we have a thread going already on this Lots of good info. I am playing with the Lee RF molds. Cant remember the weight. 158 I think.
    I searched but didn't find much. I did find this thread https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...for-350-legend

I am using a 200gr NOE CG version of Lee180 gr 38SPL bullet Pushing it with H110

Boolit Master
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    I have read those threads and information is sparse. There are vague warnings about over pressure but as far as I can tell the powder charges were over maximum charge. 26.7 was listed as max for H110 and 28 was said to be a problem. I don't see the issue, don't use more than max charge.

Also A11FS was lumped in there too. I see that 11FS can be loaded down to 9.4g in 300BO for subsonic loads which is not at all like H110 yet it was claimed to be a problem.

Has anyone had problems with H110 using Listed Loads?

I have Hornady 170 SP and the 200g RCBS Clone coming if I can get it away from Putin. I also have some 11FS and would like real load data or Evidence there is a problem.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Man
    I recently had a big over pressure problem with my savage axis in 350L. Granted in hindsight I was using the wrong bullets. But I was using Berrys 147gr RN over 27.1gr of Lil gun. I loaded them up originally when it was about 5-10 degrees out and it shot perfectly fine with same POA POI as Winchester 180gr sp hunting rounds (can’t remember the exact name). But I took them out at about 40-50 degrees and I had a case completely deformed and the primer blow out and I had to hit the bolt with a hammer to open it. Safe to say, I pulled all the ones I had left and won’t be using that load ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOE 173gr WFN / HP cast with HP out and FP . RCBS 200 gr FN. I got a case of 145 FMJ's back in April 2019 when first available. The neck of these WW are much thicker than Starline Brass. Also WW brass had concentricity issues. The new loaded cartridges were right ar SAAMI max cartridge dimensions. I pulled bullets and they were 0.3545". Mic a fired case at the mouth and compare to your loaded rounds. Need some clearance for bullet release.

Boolit Master
    The Winchester once fired I got were .010" on one side of the case mouth and .012" on the other side and 6 cases had a bubba belt after sizing where the case expanded just above the web. These looked to be factory loads that were too hot with not enough chamber support.
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    The Winchester once fired I got were .010" on one side of the case mouth and .012" on the other side and 6 cases had a bubba belt after sizing where the case expanded just above the web. These looked to be factory loads that were too hot with not enough chamber support.
    Check the length of your brass;

In the 3 boxes I shot from the (10) box case I purchased, there were some cartridges that were too long which caused pressure issues resulting in a case separation. I found several more that were too long, these rounds were easy to spot as they had a slight bulge at the mouth and looked like a heavy roll crimp. When measuring fired cases some were 0.03" over SAAMI Max length. I contacted Winchester, they sent me a UPS label to return the unfired cartridges. I purchased more Starline Brass with the Winchester refund.

Boolit Master
    Full power 180s in a 350L are very capable for hunting. I shoot the equivalent in my 357AR Max. Not exactly what I consider an ideal "plinking" round.

Slugging is usually less important for the 350L than determining what size bullet will allow smooth chambering.

My 357AR Max shoots best at full power. I am happy with Wc 680 (milsurp version of 1680). I went with the Wc 680 after having ignition problems with H110 (occasional way under power shot and some bullets stuck in barrel).

With a bolt gun, you have should have a lot more flexibility.

For "plinking" in a bolt gun, a boolit in the 150 - 160 range loaded to around 1800 fps with a faster powder will give less muzzle blast and be more fun to shoot. Quickload says around 12.5 Unique will get this speed.

In 357 Max handguns, my plinker is even lighter. A Lee 120 TC over 7.3 Unique. This should get around 1400 fps from a rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Check the length of your brass;

In the 3 boxes I shot from the (10) box case I purchased, there were some cartridges that were too long which caused pressure issues resulting in a case separation. I found several more that were too long, these rounds were easy to spot as they had a slight bulge at the mouth and looked like a heavy roll crimp. When measuring fired cases some were 0.03" over SAAMI Max length. I contacted Winchester, they sent me a UPS label to return the unfired cartridges. I purchased more Starline Brass with the Winchester refund.
    The case mouths look good. They are all 1.705", right in the middle of spec. Here is a picture of the base. One of 6 that look like this. The dummies all chambered fine after training. No issues in the chamber just hang ups getting there. Tried to identify the problem but it went away completely. I think there's a learning curve, it takes the gun a few minutes to figure how to load ammo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 350LWinchester.jpg  
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 03-07-2022 at 10:57 PM.
    Mal

Boolit Man
    The case mouths look good. They are all 1.705", right in the middle of spec. Here is a picture of the base. One of 6 that look like this. The dummies all chambered fine after training. No issues in the chamber just hang ups getting there. Tried to identify the problem but it went away completely. I think there's a learning curve, it takes the gun a few minutes to figure how to load ammo.
    Did you run that through a sizing die?

I'm shooting the Accurate 36-180LG and the 35-125YG. As mehavey mentioned, Norma 200 is a great powder for this cartridge.

I drive that 125 grain boolit about 2500 fps and the 180 grain boolit about 2000 fps. I've only shot the 125s at about 100 yards. But the 180, I've taken out to about 400 yards and it seems like it goes subsonic between about 350-400 yards so there is a big drop past that. I just moved, so I'll have to find my books, but I seem to remember that a 100 yard zero, I had 2" drop at 200 7" drop at 300 and 20-something inch drop at 400.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmancrisler View Post
    Did you run that through a sizing die?

Yep, that's what left the belt. I full length sized with a Hornady die. The belt is below where the die reaches when it is touching the shell holder.
    Mal

That "belt" ....
    Did you perchance fire it out of an AR ?

Boolit Man
    Yep, that's what left the belt. I full length sized with a Hornady die. The belt is below where the die reaches when it is touching the shell holder.
    I have a Lee 7.5x54 French die set that does the same thing. I still need to send it back to Lee but haven’t gotten time to. I bet it’s probably the die.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    That "belt" ....
    Did you perchance fire it out of an AR ?
    Once fired from Midsouth. No extractor marks but my AR doesn't mark the brass either.

Back to the OP, any load data would be appreciated. The most published data is with H110/296 which has detractors. 11FS looks like it can be downloaded. In 300BO there is a listed load, 9.4g of 11FS behind a 210g Sierra for 31,654 PSI. 11FS slightly more potent than H110 so I'll start low and work up. 11FS is Extremely Fine and migrated between the frame and rotor of my UniFlow. Not a Great Feature.
    Mal

I give it as my fixed opinion that Li'Gun, H110/W296 (and close cousins) have problems with
    AR Legend extraction-pressure timing -- resulting in the "belt" tendency that you see.
    See https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4983964
    See https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4984062

...exacerbated by some (I suspect) deep cut bolt-face-to-chamber dimensions in earl[ier] barrels
    See https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=50
    I actually switched from Starline to Winchester brass as a result.
    See https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=47

FWIW: I don't have this problem in the XPR/bolt action
    Last edited by mehavey; 03-08-2022 at 10:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast