Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: Any ideas what cartridge fits this chamber adaptor? Martini Henry 577/450

Boolit Mold

Lightbulb Any ideas what cartridge fits this chamber adaptor? Martini Henry 577/450

Hi folks,

Trying my best to figure out what on earth is supposed to fit inside this adaptor and also if anyone knows if this adaptor is a particular brand/type etc?

I recently bought this chamber adapter as a Martini Henry 577/450 to 45 calibre. The seller wasn't sure what 45 it was or even if that was correct.

I've taken various measurements and so far believed it to be fitted with a .45 Colt round but now I'm not sure! It's worth noting there is a noticeable 'step down' in size around half way down the inside of the adaptor suggesting the cartridge gets smaller again (unless this is for an additional type of cartridge to be used?)
    The rim of the 45 Colt is the correct measurement to sit nicely inside the adaptor's recess section at the bottom for the rim but my concern relates to the diameter of the neck VS 45 Colt projectile.

The neck of this adaptor is quite a lot shorter than others I've seen (and seems to be a lot older than the modern ones made) so 45-70 is also off the table.

The 45 Colt projectile according to a Lee manual is .454" whereas the diameter of the neck for this adapter is .4365" at its widest so is too narrow for a .45 Colt projectile.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I have one around here somewhere that is chambered in 45 Colt. I remember seeing one in 455 Webley also, but I would imagine that the Colt variety is by far more common.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I have one around here somewhere that is chambered in 45 Colt. I remember seeing one in 455 Webley also, but I would imagine that the Colt variety is by far more common.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I agree the Martini-Henry - .45LC chamber adapter, like this one, is what SMLElikeyoumeanit has:

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=29008&

Boolit Master
    Another possibility is it could be a blank adaptor. Bapitty & co. the U.K. equivilant of Stembridge gun rentals had adaptors made up so they could use 5 in 1 blanks in there .450-577 gatling guns for motion pictures. That would explain the .437" measurement.