RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 357mag/38spl single shot carbine for woodswalking

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    For barrels, look at Green Mountain's gunsmith specials. They are usually about the right length for projects like this and can be had for $35 or so usually. They are unturned blanks so you'll have to profile them but they are great quality and cheap.
    John Taylor used the Green Mountain Gunsmith Specials for my .38 S&W ( using 1:10" twist 9mm barrel), and for my 45 ACP/.455 and .45 Colt barrels.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I'm still wondering how a .357 or even .38 is appropriate for ordinary woodland cruising, unless you're expecting to meet a bear, or deer in season. A small game caliber seems more practical.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I'm still wondering how a .357 or even .38 is appropriate for ordinary woodland cruising, unless you're expecting to meet a bear, or deer in season. A small game caliber seems more practical.
    My understanding is that 38spl makes a fine small game caliber as long as the velocities aren't too high. There was a thread about rook rifles a while back where the chambers discussed were small low pressure ones usually used in pistols. I suspect a light loading with a 125gr boolit would be just fine for rabbits or other such critters.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Milsurp Junkie View Post
    So another option would be to get JES to rebore a 223 single shot to 357 max. Rossis can be found pretty cheap. I know a couple of folks were so frustrated with their 243s that they would have almost given them away. Reboring fixes the accuracy issue.
    The 223 chamber isn't too long?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

.38/.357 is bigger on diameter than .223. The entire .223 chamber will be wiped out.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I picked up a Grail Gun at the Baltimore show this past weekend. Martini Cadet customized with a 26" tapered octagon barrel, color case hardened receiver, pistol grip stock with Niedner butt plate, Parker-Hale PH7A sight. All for just a bit more than what a donor Cadet would've cost. Caliber: .357 Magnum. Pics when I get a chance.

Been threatening to effect such a build for quite some time. Now I don't have to!

Me too. I'd think something more along the lines of a .25-20 or .32-20. Maybe a little .32 rimmed cartridge. Brass might be easier to find. Sub sonic would be nice on the tinnitus.

Jim

Boolit Master
    .38 Specials loaded with non-expanding bullets at sedate velocities won't tear up edible critters as badly as you might think. Think RN's at 700fps. Pretty quiet too out of a long barrel.

As a kid, my favorite squirrel load was a 38 wadcutter loaded to about 500 fps. Kills them well and doesn't tear them up like 22lr hollowpoints. You do need to watch where you're firing chunks of lead and not shoot up into the air.

Boolit Buddy
    38/357 brass is easier to find. Granted, the bullets need more lead. If i could find a cheap reamer for 30 badger or 300 blackout rimmed that would solve that problem.

Boolit Master
    I was looking at the new Stevens .410 single today, and except for the firing pin needing bushed down, its the ideal size for a stup or a liner, being scaled for the .410.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Buddy
    I had been looking at the new savage/stevens 301 turkey guns. Already have the sights, but wish they were wood.

Boolit Master

Start your search for one of the baby rolling blocks. I carry mine in the spring when I hunt mushrooms and dig ramps. It's almost too small for an adult but it is perfect for smaller folks. I like it because it doesn't hardly weight anything and even shooting 180 grain WFN recoil isn't an issue.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

You're shooting .357 through a #4 rolling block????? Tell us how it holds up!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Milsurp Junkie View Post
    38/357 brass is easier to find. Granted, the bullets need more lead. If i could find a cheap reamer for 30 badger or 300 blackout rimmed that would solve that problem.
    I did that.
    Just cut off a fls die for 300 blk ;70-80 thou then make a few cases full length with 357 brass.
    This gets you the full neck length.
    Turn off the rim then use that as your go / no gauge when you chamber your gun with a blackout reamer.
    Just bore out the case rim and done.

Or you can use a shell holder and use Dan Wesson brass or 357 max if you want full size cases and can get them.
    You will have to trim your cases thou.

If you ordered a special reamer you could have the neck diameter and throat and leade as you like.

I just used a std CIP one.
    You could probably rent one over that side of the pond.

The 120 Lee soup can over a few grains of fast powder like bulleye Is pretty frugal and quiet with some punch to it.
    150’s and you’d be good for bigger stuff for the menu.
    Haven’t gotten into heavier stuff yet to try out.
    I thought a "woods carry rifle" as you call it was for "something light to lug around for optimistic pot filler material."

Meaning you will probably come across lots more smaller tasty things than something you need to haul out of the scrub with a ute

Shot this today at 50 yards with peep sights.
    With my short barrel light weight 100 year old piece of antiquated martini cadet re - barrel job.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	261C4571-28B6-4C83-9C3F-25ED310EC7F5.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	298499
    I’m sure you could do better with a scope or have better calibrated eye balls than mine.

Hope it helps.

O.k. O.k. It was swirly winds.
    The mirage was boiling and was hot and humid.
    My glasses fogged up some times as well and the rabbits head looked a lot smaller than my fading memory allows. And it wasn’t even camouflaged.
    Ha
    After a the first 4 or 5 shots I could see the light shining through the back of the target and a eye sort of appeared.
    I wasn’t sure if it was in the right place.
    But that’s were the 10+ ring was.
    Honest life can be hell with a something like this.
    With a half decent barrel plumbed in.
    I find I have to dig into my excuses bag if I let a rogue one or two go now.

Good luck hope you find what you are seeking.
    I just wanted a bigger 22lr really.
    Something that knocks over hares and such emphatically without much ado.
    No rabbits around here but ; try and kick down a borrow "now" you so and so heathens

Just you wait.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 04-03-2022 at 10:22 AM.

I though Oz was over-run with bunnies.
    Cognitive Dissident

I suspect he is talking about those Uberti baby rolling blocks, copy of a #2 I believe. They came that way.
    I wish they were still available, one of those would be ideal for my 25 Hornet project.

Ah, that makes more sense.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Navy Arms, probably Uberti. Very accurate .357 for deer to 38 WC for squirrels.

Attachment 298530
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; 04-04-2022 at 08:18 AM.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    I just wanted a bigger 22lr really.
    Something that knocks over hares and such emphatically without much ado.
    That is basically how I use my Henry Single Shot in 357mag. 125gr boolits around 1100fps. Pretty quiet out of a 22" barrel, no recoil to speak of, cheap on lead and powder. It's like hitting the target with three 40gr 22LR at the same time, in the 9mm Luger performance area with a nice flat meplat.

I have a scope on it right now but might go back to Skinner Sights.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast