WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 357mag/38spl single shot carbine for woodswalking

357mag/38spl single shot carbine for woodswalking

I was just sitting here on my grandson's 9th birthday and got to thinking about an ideal little carbine for him to carry when we go exploring the woods together. I figured a single shot is perfect to teach safety and responsibility and to make the 1st shot count. This should be a light little rifle with an 18" barrel and a very simple manual of arms. Having it in 357mag should make it a small game getter with full wadcutter ammo and even a small close range deer arm if needed with full magnum ammo. Shot shells could also be used for pest control. Also cast bullets would be used extensively to teach him casting and then reloading for his weapon.
    Something along the lines of a rolling block for it's simplicity and durability seems perfect but most seem to weight too much. A centerfire version of the old Winchester 67A would be ideal. The TC Contender carbine is the right size but the action is a bit too complicated for trouble free maintenance and repair, especially for someone 9yrs old.
    Anyone have any ideas to share?

If you are looking to build one, an H&R/NEF action with a custom stubbed barrel. Or how about something like a Martini Cadet, although I don’t know if they are suitable for full throttle 357.
    I personally have and love the Contender and never had a maintenance issue.

About 10 years ago I built just the thing. A Remington 580 converted to centerfire and chambered for 9mm. It weighs in at 4 lbs, and is a delight to use. I also have a Remington #4 rolling block converted to centerfire and relined to 32 S&W long. About 3.5 lbs. Both are great kid guns. Too bad nothing like that is available off the shelf.

Boolit Master
    Henry Single Shot in 357mag is great. They usually come with 22" barrels but you could cut it down. They're affordable too.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    https://taylorsfirearms.com/long-gun...e-357-mag.html

Spendy.

I came close to getting one, but it is not drilled and tapped for scope mounts and that is a deal killer for these old eyes.

One option is the Howa Mini-Mauser. Get one in 7.62x39 or .350 Legend if you want to shoot cast. I have one in .223 and it is light (6 lbs). You do not need to load the magazine to start the boy off. And it less expensive than the Baby Rolling Block. With the Howa in either caliber it can grow to a decent deer rifle as he grows and can be loaded down to start and for small critters and a walking about rifle.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Henry Single Shot in 357mag is great. They usually come with 22" barrels but you could cut it down. They're affordable too.
    I have one of the Henry’s that’s been cut to 20”, they are heavy for a single shot, in my opinion too heavy for a 9yr old, at 80yrs it’s getting too heavy for me.

The slickest, lightest 357 that I own is a Rossi 92, now I know you said single shot, but why not just allow one in the chamber and as the youngster gets older then allow several more in the magazine?, they are fantastic ,light and accurate little rifles, availability might be a problem right now?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Ideal "American Bunny Gun" platform is pre-WW2 H&R .44/.410 Garden Gun. John Taylor can fabricate a .38/.357 barrel to fit, bush firing pin, put on any sights you like. NOT a "stub job" so that you still have use of the .410 shotgun barrel as a combo. With an 18-inch barrel you can hold weight down to about 4 pounds. I preferred a longer barrel on mine to keep noise down. Firing .38 Special wadcutters it is no louder than a .22 rifle firing standard velocity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38SplRookRifle_5.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	297208

The Henry and similar are heavy and clubby by comparison.

This pic is with my .32 S&W Long barrel, which weighs 4 pounds. To give you an idea of proportions with the shorter barrel.

Name:	18inch32SWLBarrelOn410GardenGun.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	297209

I also have barrels in .38 S&W, .45 ACP/.455 and .45 Colt, so that I can match up the rifle-shotgun combo to suit whatever handgun is going along on the trip.

Name:	38SWRookRifleOnPreWarH&R.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	297210

Name:	H&R455-45ACPwith20inchBarrel-is5lbs..jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	297211
    20-inch bull barrel in .45 ACP/.455 or .45 Colt weighs 5 pounds.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-06-2022 at 02:03 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

My next stub job single shot carbine is going to be a .218 Bee. Because I have the donor barrel, a single shot 20 gauge with a small firing pin, and dies, bullets, and lots of brass.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I put an 18" 357 Mag adapter/insert in a Stevens 94 20ga. Not a tack driver but probably accurate enough for bunnies at woods ranges.

Boolit Master

ruger makes a m77 in 38/357
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Mine is Flawless, and it has had some Mighty Boomers thru it!!! The 357 absolutely Sings..

Boolit Buddy

Uberti used to have mini rolling blocks available in 357 Friend bought 1 in 22LR, Neat little rifle, but do not know if still available GW

The Cadet does not have a safety, if you open the lever and pull the trigger, it slams closed and can fire. They would be great, but would require being carried un-loaded. It would take a bit of training.

Savage made a 357/20ga OU, my hunting buddy had one. The single barrel 410 or so 20ga shotgun with a reamed and threaded 357 barrel would work. The H&R Handy Rifle in 357 might be the easiest solution.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    When my grandsons were 10 I got them a NEF/H&R 20 Ga and also got a .357 barrel w/scope for it. They got good at breaking clays and appreciating a well-aimed shot. They are grown now but that's still a fun weapon for everyone.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    If you are looking to build one, an H&R/NEF action with a custom stubbed barrel. Or how about something like a Martini Cadet, although I don’t know if they are suitable for full throttle 357.
    The Martini Cadet action is plenty strong for 357 magnum and 357 maximum as I have both, and is an excellent choice for a young shooter as long a they know the only safety is an empty chamber. Regards Stephen.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    The Cadet does not have a safety, if you open the lever and pull the trigger, it slams closed and can fire. They would be great, but would require being carried un-loaded. It would take a bit of training.

Savage made a 357/20ga OU, my hunting buddy had one. The single barrel 410 or so 20ga shotgun with a reamed and threaded 357 barrel would work. The H&R Handy Rifle in 357 might be the easiest solution.
    The Cadet action can be de cocked in the manner you describe by holding the lever while pulling the trigger and it will not fire, I would however never ever consider teaching a young shooter t do so or any shooter for that matter. I agree with you carry with empty chamber' Regards Stephen

This is just my 2 cents. For a 9 year old …… I would find a small 410 that is light enough and can be cut down in barrel and stock length to fit and buy a chamber adapter or 2 ( not the little short ones ) in calibers that would suit the game or targets you want to shoot. Such a combination wount cost much and will see him through at least 4-5 years of growth and will also be a 410 shotgun when not using a centerfire rifle round.
    Maybe something like a 32 H&R and 38 Spl. I have killed deer with a 38 spl at bow hunting range but by the time he is ready for deer hunting seriously he will be able to handle more gun.
    As far as the 410, have some good sights installed and he will learn to shoot with just the basics and be a better shot, hunter for starting with something very basic.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 03-07-2022 at 12:04 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several Martini Cadets that I have installed crossbolt safeties in the trigger guard.

Boolit Master
    Ruger does make a All American compact rifle in 7.62x39. Cadet martinis will have to have the firing pin tip turned down and bushed for .357 Mag. But plenty strong for the 357 mag. And easy to mount a scope on. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't mess with none of that. I'd get an H&R or NEF single shot in .410 shotgun.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast