MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Winchester 244 vs 231 loads

Boolit Bub

Winchester 244 vs 231 loads

I did a search and did not find anything on win244. Its new but not that new. Its the only powder I could find lately and its suppose to be close to 231 so I'm using 231 load data for 45 colt SAA and 32 acp. Not been out to test it yet.

Just wondering how closely it mimicks 231 load data or has anyone here had experience with both powders for comparison.

Thanks

Boolit Bub
    No experience with 244 but it is a slightly slower powder so charges will be slightly higher than 231 loads. Hodgon has some 244 data on their reloading data website.

Boolit Master
    I don't know how to transfer the image, but in some bullet weights in .45 ACP, it seems that W231 burns more slowly than W244. Then, in other bullet weights, the data seems to suggest the opposite.
    In .357 Magnum, relying on W231 data for W244 charge weights might get someone into real trouble, pressure-wise.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I don't know how to transfer the image, but in some bullet weights in .45 ACP, it seems that W231 burns more slowly than W244. Then, in other bullet weights, the data seems to suggest the opposite.
    In .357 Magnum, relying on W231 data for W244 charge weights might get someone into real trouble, pressure-wise.
    Are you certain you aren’t comparing CUP measurements to PSI ones? With the same bullet at the same seating depth and charge, a slower burning powder has to create less pressure.

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgdonreloading.com has load data for 45 colt with 244.

A quick email to them might get some info about 32acp…
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Grand Master
    Such data as is available, is very confusing.

Some cartridges show a near equality in 231 and 244, some suggest 231 is slower, and some the opposite. I did not find any instance , though, where the start load of the one would cause trouble if the other was used. Therefore, I would suggest that as long as one stays at the starting loads, you should be able to safely load 244 with 231 data. Hodgdon has load information for the 45 colt for both powders, but not the 32 acp.

I don't know what gun(s) you will use but in a Colt 1903 or Browning 1910, or a Beretta model 81 or Cheetah, you should be just fine. I would be a little more circumspect in using it in a Tomcat. Those can break with factory loads.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I have loaded several .45acp rounds with Winchester 244. I am not real sure that I like it. Accuracy seems to be suffering, but the jury is still out. I've been shooting cowboy guns for a few years now, but I'm new to a 1911 .45acp.

Boolit Master

I use 244 in 9mm, 38spl, 357, 40s&w, 44spl, 44mag, 45acp and 45 Colt. It is not my favorite in any of them, but it works well and burns clean. All the data you need can be found here. https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/win...r-winclean-244
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Mcgun View Post
    Are you certain you aren’t comparing CUP measurements to PSI ones? With the same bullet at the same seating depth and charge, a slower burning powder has to create less pressure.
    Ordinarily, I would be hard-pressed to disagree, but I'm looking right at data that tells me it isn't always so.
    Go to the Hodgdon Reloading Center, under .45 ACP, enter 200 gr. and 230 gr. bullet weights, and select W244 and W231 for propellants. With the 200 gr. LSWC, propellant behaviour is about what one would expect, if W244 burns more slowly than W231. BUT, with the 200 gr. Speer JHP, the charge weights are the same for both propellants, and velocities are noticeably faster for W244, suggesting that it generates more pressure per unit of propellant, suggesting faster burning.
    For the 230 gr. LRN, the W244 charge weights are smaller, yet velocities and pressures are higher, AGAIN suggesting faster burning.
    I use a lot more cast projectiles than jacketed ones in .45 ACP, so the 200 gr. data works as one might expect, and isn't worrisome. The 230 gr. LRN data, on the other hand...

Starting loads for one powder, used with the other, probably will NOT hurt a thing, as long as one can content oneself with starting-load performance. That is not always possible (USPSA, IDPA, etc.) it's in the process of the work up that things get "interesting".
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!