RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Steel BB's in shot capsules

Boolit Master

Steel BB's in shot capsules

Anybody ever try BB's?
    I tried #9 shot and it sure makes a steering wheel sized pattern at 10 feet

I suspect rifling will still spin the capsules causing the donut. Might get a touch better pattern or a smidgeon of distance gained.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I think you'd be worse off. Pattern size about the same, but no pattern density. Plus, Id be concerned that the capsule whould crack in the barrel and allow the steel BB to gouge the barrel steel as they won't be able to stack together tightly.

Boolit Master

I tried them. They are actually a LOT lighter than lead yet so much bigger allowing fewer pellets, which is contrary for snake killing. Lower velocity was noted also. I finally bought a 5lb jug of 12 # shot for my shot capsules. Works so great there's no need to experiment anything else.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    I looked into loading bb's into shotgun shells quite a few years ago when I got a gallon jug full from junk yard. I was warned against shooting them out of any gun that I might care anything about. according to the experts I consulted they said the steel in bb's is actually much harder than steel or tungsten shot that is designed and sold for use in shot shells . I took their advice at face value of what they said and decided to keep use of bb's in BB guns

Boolit Master
    farmbif=Thanks that's good info-I will take your advise and not try any

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bayjoe View Post
    farmbif=Thanks that's good info-I will take your advise and not try any
    I highly concur with not using steel bbs as such. However, in my earlier days -- bion when superglue first hit the market -- it was not uncommon for us to superglue ONE bb in the hollow-point of cast bullets -- often made after the fact with a jig on drill press to hold bullet while the pocket for bb was drilled. (The idea came from the practice of gluing a Zippo cigarette lighter flint in a .22 hollow-point rimfire bullet -- now (mostly in .38's) on a bigger scale.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I looked into loading bb's into shotgun shells quite a few years ago when I got a gallon jug full from junk yard. I was warned against shooting them out of any gun that I might care anything about. according to the experts I consulted they said the steel in bb's is actually much harder than steel or tungsten shot that is designed and sold for use in shot shells . I took their advice at face value of what they said and decided to keep use of bb's in BB guns
    I wonder if you could anneal them and soften them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    I wonder if you could anneal them and soften them up.
    Put them in a piece of pipe capped at each end bury it in a charcoal fire, let it burn all day then take it out after it cools down naturally the next day.
    That will get them as soft as they are going to get.
    Let us know how it works out.

Boolit Buddy
    Two inch 38 special barrels will reduce the spin induced donut pattern. If you are using 41 or larger calibers, find some 410 wads, cut them to case length, and load with 7 1/2 or smaller shot. Pop cans are destroyed at 10 feet, snakes likewise.

Boolit Master
    Shorter barrels as well as using a shot wrapper,both will help.
    The lightest loading of powder produces the heaviest pattern.
    Heavy powder load will blow the pattern.