WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope,Red dot or open sights

Boolit Master
    MSM, Nice write up. About covers everything very well.

I will disagree w/ an earlier poster, and say that a scoped revolver is fine, as long as it is done correctly.

I have a scoped 44 Rem Mag Ruger SBH, and a scoped 475 Linebaugh, both have2x fixed scopes. One a Burris, one a Leupold.
    The field of view is not a problem for me, and set up correctly, the eye relief is correct so that pulled up the revolver ends up in a correct shooting stance.
    I do not run these light, and I have never felt as if the revolver was too close. It is at arms length. I'm also 6 ft, so no, no T-rex proportion arms here.

I also have scoped TC contender pistols: 44 Rem Mag, and 35 Remington. These have 2-7x Burris scopes.
    Set low, easy to get aligned correctly with the eye in a shooting position. Cranked up, yes the exit pupil decreases and position becomes less tolerant, but that happens with Every Scope. Pistol or not.

I used to have Scopes on a TC Encore in 30-06 & one in 475 Linebaugh Long.
    Same 2-7s as now on my Contenders.
    Not much more to be said, other than the 475 LL w/ 400 gr bullets at 1600 fps from 10" barrel took scopes apart. Free fix from Burris, but I switched that to a cheap Tasco red dot a friend gave to me for a few years prior to selling, and that cheap dot held up.

One thing I really hate about red dots is the tendency to be Hard to pick up a sight picture in bright light. No mater how far turned up, they do wash out, at least what I have used.
    I hunt mostly all day during deer season (6-12, 2-dark), so, yes, sometimes it's bright and sometimes dim out.
    Also, the cheap dots have crappy light transmissability, which hurts near dusk & dawn. Possible (Likely) the expensive ones are different, but I have used the less expensive, including Tasco, FM & Burris.

Wobble.
    Every gun wobbles. More magnification allows you to see what you are doing.
    It can be unnerving, but like the Bullseye instructor taught my shooting buddy when he competed: you have to commit to your wobble, and know when to break the trigger.
    Also, on a variable, just turn it down. Less distraction from the wobble that IS there.

I will say, I don't really use my 2-7s over 4x when hunting, that makes it easier to pick things up.

Field of view shouldn't be too much concern, you should shoot with both eyes open. Most people don't and I didn't use to, but mostly now I do with effort and training over the years. It helps a lot. It can also help you see some bad shooting habits, should you have them.

I stopped counting after shooting around 40 deer w/ handguns, and the scoped variety gave me No issue.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - 2X Red Dots are the thing to use on UZI SMG's

Moderator Emeritus

Contenders are scoped as they are target and stand guns for me. I like iron sights on packing pistols.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    I love my ugly super redhawk (stainless 44mag7 1/2in bbl and ultra dot 30 (in satin)
    People say they would be ashamed to be caught with this combo, then they see my shot groups, they just shake their heads and walk away.
    Deer will just crumble or stager a few steps and fall over. I am 78years old and the red dots keep me hunting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by william l evans View Post
    I love my ugly super redhawk (stainless 44mag7 1/2in bbl and ultra dot 30 (in satin)
    People say they would be ashamed to be caught with this combo, then they see my shot groups, they just shake their heads and walk away.
    Deer will just crumble or stager a few steps and fall over. I am 78years old and the red dots keep me hunting.
    "Like Button" Pushed!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by william l evans View Post
    Who ever said that? Red dots were what all the cool kids have used for quite some time. It's just that most have gone to the low profile models. The tube types are just as good as ever. They work really well.

Boolit Bub
    I get the "cool kids" to drag my deer out of the woods to my truck.
    most of them have never been hunting before so I mentor them
    and get my deer loaded. Good trade off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12