MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman 310

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 310

Where can I find dies for this loader? Did they make bullet sizing dies for it? Found it in an old barn. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E53C2F21-E48E-4CAF-89A0-5F14D2207F07.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	297330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40F6194B-7911-49C9-8956-65C8F0990E37.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	297331

Boolit Master
    What you have is referred to as a tong tool. They have been built by Lyman since the 19th century. They are more portable than practical. As I understand it, Lyman discontinued the 310 line some years ago. What they are selling are the leftovers. It looks like the pair you found are made of steel. If they are, you might decide to sell them. You could probably get $70 or more and avoid all the trouble of finding dies you want. To find out if they are steel, use a magnet. These opinions are mine. Others may differ.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 03-08-2022 at 03:17 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I think you have the later aluminum style, not the steel one. Yours is a "long", meaning it works best with the longer rifle dies, rather than pistol dies. They will perform all the necessary steps to make good ammo except they only neck size. A separate die used with a vise was available to full length cases if required. Bullet sizing dies were made for the 310. If you search Ebay for "Lyman 310" you will find a lot of dies in various calibers for sale and probably an instruction sheet reprint. The instruction sheet would be a good place to get accurate information. There is a Topic on this forum for swapping 310 dies and you will see them for sale from time to time in the "Swap and Sell" topic.

Here is the 310 swap, it is in the casting and reloading hand tools section;
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...10-Swap-thread

Here is the "Swappin & Sellin" section;
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...pin-amp-Sellin

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    They used to be a cheap and portable way to load but not any more . They quit making them and the collectors started buying them up to the point that it's hard to find anything your looking for . I love mine and would never part with them but I have been using them for over fifty years and they are what I started with . I don't suggest anyone buying them anymore simply for that reason . Those are aluminum later model handles , $45-$55 would be a reasonable price but you will see them priced higher on ebay . Sell them or swap them for something you can already use would be my suggestion. Look up " Lyman Ideal 310" on ebay if you really want to try to find dies for it . About the only dies that you can occasionally find reasonable are for 30-06 and .270 . If you have any hand issues they are not gonna be comfortable to use . Study these links before you buy anything . And be aware there are 310 die sets and Tru Line die sets

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohland/Cast_B...op/history.htm
    http://www.endtimesreport.com/Lyman_310_Tong_Tools.html
    http://www.wawyckoff.com/IdealTools/Index.html
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 03-08-2022 at 03:18 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Try Cliff's Guns in Boise, ID: he has had them in the shop since he does estate stuff.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

It appears you have some dies in pic. Check them for numbers. We can tell you what you have. You should school up a bit before spending any money. The swap sheet here will help.

Boolit Buddy
    They’re 30-06 but pitted and rusted way beyond saving

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sloughfoot View Post
    They’re 30-06 but pitted and rusted way beyond saving
    Dies - Pitted and rusted on the inside ? Pitted and rusted on the outside doesn't matter!

Swapping and Selling section might turn up something and a Want To Buy ad .

I'll poke around and see if I can find you something .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Here's a copy of the instructions:

https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/..._tool_dies.pdf

And here's a good reference page:

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohland/Cast_B...Reference.html
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

My bug-out bag has a full set of 38 Spl dies in it, all it requires is a wood block to seat primers. Few primers and a 158 SWC bullet mold, block of bees wax lube, lube cutter, with a bit of Bullseye and a dipper, you have a make do go set.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers