Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Powder charge

Boolit Mold

Powder charge

Hey everyone looking for advice on what you all use for powder charge increments when developing a cast boolit load in surplus military calibers. I’ve shot plenty of cast boolits thanks to a kind uncle that supplies me with his boolits and load data. Now I’m looking to experiment on my own. Specifically 303 British, 7.5 Swiss 30-06 and more. Powders on hand are 2400, Red Dot, 5744, Unique, re 7 and more. With jacketed loads I typically go up by .5 grains

Boolit Buddy
    I would look at minimum and maximum charge weights, then figure five or so charge weights: minimum weight, maximum weight, and three in between. Five cartridges of each weight charge loaded. This will give you a good idea of accuracy potential. Given the current primer situation, I would be ready to stop when I find a good charge weight, pull the other boolits, then load the brass with the good charge weight. Also, I would not make charge weight increments less than .2 grain.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks that makes sense and yes I’m not overly picky just looking for a good 50yd plinking load for my son and myself. Primers aren’t an issue yet I was in a good spot when they dried up. My bullet supply is limited at the moment. I have everything I need to cast myself I just have to get off my butt and try it.

Boolit Master
    Just use "the Load" and have some fun!!
    It was Invented for Mil Surps

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Just use "the Load" and have some fun!!
    It was Invented for Mil Surps
    Great advice good for most calibers always start low and work up with any load. Ed tells use Red dot is his powder of choice and the load is built around Red dot.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

you can't go far wrong using 2400 in the military cartridges. find max and min and divide up the difference maybe 3 units and experiment going from high to low in unit increase. the real trick is to size the bootlit correctly to the barrel.
    have fun
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Mold
    I’ve tried the load in a few different milsurps and was never impressed. That’s kind of why I’m asking. Curious what increments up or down I should try to see if I can do better. I have had good results with 2400 in most chamberings but I’ve been dabbling with 5744 a lot lately. Have had some good results with 4198 too but dismal results as well

Boolit Master

Some of the maxes in Lymans cast bullet manuals (and even some of minimums!) have no hope of shooting accurately and are only limited by pressure. For modern RIFLE loads I usually do a search looking where people have success, start there then work .5g in either direction if needed to dial in a load. I’ve had very good luck working off other’s success.

The caveat to this is that I always compare the info to the manuals to make sure they are in the realm of reality. Most cast rifle loads operate at pressures well below jacketed loads making this safe to do as long has you use your head and a good manual to double check. Cast PISTOL loads will run right up to the max pressure of the cartridge and need to be worked up accordingly.

Boolit Master
    I reload military rifles of mine with cast Boolits and use RL 7.
    The larger volume powder gives you a bigger spread to dial in a round to a certain rifle.
    But just for close plinking , I have fun with Unique and 5744

Boolit Master
    If there is a large range between start and max I might start at 1 grain increments. Otherwise I start at 1/2 grain steps. Then, when I find a spot that looks promising I do tighter increments above and below the promising point.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Some of the maxes in Lymans cast bullet manuals (and even some of minimums!) have no hope of shooting accurately and are only limited by pressure. For modern RIFLE loads I usually do a search looking where people have success, start there then work .5g in either direction if needed to dial in a load. I’ve had very good luck working off other’s success.

The caveat to this is that I always compare the info to the manuals to make sure they are in the realm of reality. Most cast rifle loads operate at pressures well below jacketed loads making this safe to do as long has you use your head and a good manual to double check. Cast PISTOL loads will run right up to the max pressure of the cartridge and need to be worked up accordingly.
    I would definitely agree with this---many of the max loads in the Lyman cast bullet manuals (as a group, over the years) are way too hot for most cast bullets, unless you have your alloy just right. Also, the flake powders used in a lot of reduced loads won't meter very precisely, so there's not much point in using finer steps than 0.5 grains with stuff like Red Dot or Unique. I would start with the lower-end charges and work up in 0.5 grain increments until you find something you like (and you will!)

Boolit Master
    The reduced load fomula for H4895 works well .... Im finding with the military rifles the twist rate will challenge you more than the powder charge. In most of the 1/10 rifles 1650 fps seems to do well for 200 yard target work for 150-200 grain bullets.
    16 grains of 2400 works well by me in 30-06

Boolit Master
    First, I would shoot with jacketed to see how well the rifle does. That way expectations are reasonable.

Second, given your calibers I'd set an upper vel limit around 2000-2200fps. Lower limit is your choice but I usually start around 1700fps, only because I like to shoot longer ranges (~500yd). If you are limited to, or like shooting, 100-200yd then you can consider much lower velocities, including subsonic. Caveat, some bullets will do well subsonic at longer ranges.

Within the range selected I usually go with 0.5gn increments first. Then, if I feel the need, I will go to smaller increments around a specific point.

The biggest issue is bullet dia and fit to throat. Different rifles in same caliber may 'like' different bullets/diameters and/or seat depth.

Just head to the range with your portable press and measure and adjust your charge accordingly to the burn rate. .2-.3 on fast burning powders, .5 on the slow in those relatively large cartridges.
    Aim low boys, there ridin shetlands

Boolit Master
    Use the starting loads in the manuals for the best accuracy at 25, 50 and 100 yards..
    When you shoot some target groups, then add more powder.
    The max loads are just too hot except for paper patch or jacketed bullets.
    Never shoot a jacketed bullet using a starting load.
    It can stick in the barrel.
    Not easy to get out.

Boolit Grand Master

For "ladder loads" I go up in .3 gr. increments.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!