MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: New grips for the 1911.

Boolit Master

New grips for the 1911.

Stopped in Twin Falls, ID on my way back from Yuma, AZ and stopped at a couple of gun shops looking for primers, powder, or bullets. One shop had some Accurate #5 that I almost bought at $38 a pound, but have never used it and thought that #7 was better for my 10mm loads.

Anyways, I saw a large display of dozens of custom 1911 grips made by a local company called Herrett's Stocks.

I saw a pair of cocobolo grips that were just stunning. $55 seemed like a lot, but they were just so beautiful and wanted to support a local company.

Put them on my Colt 1911 and they fit perfectly and really are stunning...

Attachment 297138
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

$55 for Herrett's is a steal. I think the lowest I ever paid was $125, but that was brand new, custom for my hand. I'm not aware of a better grip maker. I should call them and see if now that they restarted the company, they will make custom Ruger grips.

Wow.

They remind me:
    Whenever I'd come home with something like that, My Dad would look at it, ponder for a minute,
    and say, "That's too nice for you. Take it back".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

This lady makes some awesome grips for many different handguns. Not cheap though....

https://esmeralda.cc/
    Last edited by rondog; 03-05-2022 at 03:17 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Wow.

They remind me:
    Whenever I'd come home with something like that, My Dad would look at it, ponder for a minute,
    and say, "That's too nice for you. Take it back".
    Ha!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

those look great!

Boolit Master
    Herrett's has always made beautiful stocks for all kinds of handguns...

Was at the factory last May and ordered several sets of their Detective stocks for some S&W N-frame .41s...they just fit my hand better than anything else...

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice, Barbeque gun quality for sure.

Boolit Master

Is a "barbeque" gun a gun you'd take to a barbeque? never heard that expression.

Boolit Master
    VERY, very nice looking grips there!

Herrett has been making top quality grips for a long time. And they are reasonably priced.

mega; I've found a custom grip maker (Zane Thompson) who owns "Lone Star Custom Grips" many years ago. He makes some stunningly beautiful grips for 1911's, and Ruger SA's. I just sent him a set of stabilized Dall sheep blanks to make into a set of grips for a donation to the Ruger Owners & Collectors Society fundraiser in July in Ohio. So, if you are looking for some truly great looking grips,, and yes,, "barbecue" type or even a working man's set of grips,, check his stuff out. He goes by lscg on some forums.

T-bird; A "barbecue gun" term comes from the way many decades ago,, when folks would gather for a "dress up social" usually a BBQ in Texas,, they'd wear their fanciest gun & holster set-up. It has become an adopted term to describe a fancy gun set-up worn to special events, all over the country.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    VERY, very nice looking grips there!

Herrett has been making top quality grips for a long time. And they are reasonably priced.

mega; I've found a custom grip maker (Zane Thompson) who owns "Lone Star Custom Grips" many years ago. He makes some stunningly beautiful grips for 1911's, and Ruger SA's. I just sent him a set of stabilized Dall sheep blanks to make into a set of grips for a donation to the Ruger Owners & Collectors Society fundraiser in July in Ohio. So, if you are looking for some truly great looking grips,, and yes,, "barbecue" type or even a working man's set of grips,, check his stuff out. He goes by lscg on some forums.

T-bird; A "barbecue gun" term comes from the way many decades ago,, when folks would gather for a "dress up social" usually a BBQ in Texas,, they'd wear their fanciest gun & holster set-up. It has become an adopted term to describe a fancy gun set-up worn to special events, all over the country.
    I did find Lone Star Custom Grips. They made me one for my SP101. It's very high quality, but also twice the price of Herretts, and I still think the Herrett's are better.

Very nice!

Boolit Master

makes sense. I guess we're behind down here in Ala I'm 68, have been around guns, hunting, shooting all my life and I've never heard it. We have barbeques too, maybe we just don't wear guns to them often enough! I may adopt it and spread the news! This reminds me of watching TV cooking shows and for the last few years, I saw people eating "the quintessentially southern" dish chicken and waffles. I've lived in the deep south all my life and had never heard of it, never seen it on a menu, nothing. I asked others if they had heard of it and no one had either. Later found out it originated in Harlem. (not exactly southern).

Walnut for me. Mostly. Usually. Uh..sometimes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007053.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	297319 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007011.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	297320 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM004758.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	297321

DG

Boolit Master
    I was taking apart an office chair to get the large adjustment screw to make a rifle rest. I found these four pieces of walnut in the base. They were put there to hide the metal parts of the adjustment. I thought they would make nice grips for my" 1911. It would have taken little effort since the contour is already there. Before I could even start on the project, I was going thru a gun show and saw the pair of grips you see on my' 1911. I asked how much, the man said $7.00. What's to think about. These were already checkered. They walnut pieces are as I found them. I stopped by Buckshot's house one day and saw the zebra wood grips you see on my S&W were laying in the trash. Of course, they came home with me.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 03-08-2022 at 06:05 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Lyman has had a decent selection of grips since buying Pachmayer years ago.

Boolit Master

Pudry wood, on a Purdy gun.

(Careful with the barb b que, might get on the gun.)

Boolit Master
    Several years ago I stopped at Herrets and asked to go thru their junk box of mismatched grips. I bought several pair and really like them! At gun shows here in Idaho they're fairly common and easy to spot.
    Loren

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Lyman has had a decent selection of grips since buying Pachmayer years ago.
    Years ago? Wasn't it like 50 years ago?

I like the Pachmayer presentation grips a lot. It's sad that Lyman is offering them in less and less models every year. They only offer them in a S&W K&L frame, a Ruger Redhawk, and a Ruger blackhawk. You can't even get them for an N frame anymore.

Boolit Master

$55 for Herrets is a steal

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell