MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: 32 acp jams on dillon xl650 case feeder

Boolit Bub

32 acp jams on dillon xl650 case feeder

I've never had an issue with the Xl 650s case feeder for 9mm, 45 colt, 223, 450 BM etc. But 32 acp jams up the small pistol case feeder (no I don't have the washer installed). It will drop maybe 10 in a row fine then JAM! motor slows a bit with clutch slipping as it should. I have to reach up and unstick the case then it will feed 5 or so then jam again.

Everything else is fine Redding 32 acp dies decapper, powder drop, seat and crimp. Just need to get the case feeder working better. Anyone have an idea on how to fix?

Thanks!

What specifically jams? Where and how?

On the collator, is the funnels opening round or rectangular in shape?

Are the cases gettin caught up there or not making it that far?

If it’s the old style, you are going to need the funnel adapter (8) installed for 32 ACP.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    What specifically jams? Where and how?

On the collator, is the funnels opening round or rectangular in shape?

Are the cases gettin caught up there or not making it that far?
    Well I sort of fixed it. The little 32s would sometimes tilt at a 45 degree angle, the case mouth would hook under the gap of this 2 screw adjustable plastic deflector. The deflector is not quite the same diameter of the inside of the bowl so the front edge instead of being flush has a gap. I shimmed it which helped but could not remove all the gap. Finally broke out the white duct tape Just covered the gap. Now zero jams and all come out right side up.

But.....

About every 8 rounds it will send no case out to the shell plate chute. So have to look whats causing that. Tube is probably a little large for the cases not sure.

You can see the tilted one, it would normally lodge its mouth rim under the gap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43b43b3c17.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	297106
    I called Dillon and he told me to just remove that deflector as it does not work very well. I told him to just include some duct tape
    He said there is not a good fix for the 32acps not always coming out to the shell plate. Guess 32 is pushing the limits of the case feeder system.

They also jam a little on the ejector wire . Maybe could adjust the wire a little to improve that.
    Last edited by BobbyJ; 03-04-2022 at 01:03 PM.

Boolit Master

I don't have a case feeder, but don't the cases go from the feeder into a tube? Why would it matter if it misses a case every so often, as long as tube still keeps up with the reloader?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I don't have a case feeder, but don't the cases go from the feeder into a tube? Why would it matter if it misses a case every so often, as long as tube still keeps up with the reloader?
    It does not matter if the top part of the case feeder misses as the tube fills up to the top then it auto shuts off.

1. Step 1 tube fills to top then shuts off (as you said it does not matter if it misses here) it dose matter if it jams but that is fixed now
    2. The cases sit in that tube like a stack. With 9mm, 45 colt the stack is pretty straight as they take up more tube space. With 32 ACP the stack can be crooked because the tube is quite a bit larger then their diameter.
    3. When you pull the handle one case off that stacks bottom gets moved horizontally into a different tube. If a case gets hung up here then it never drops to slide into the sell plate.

Maybe a picture would help.

Name:	5b0a5500a0.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	297115

Name:	4065987b46.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	297116
    And a few videos showing it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzpaVpvMN0A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovviQMihiBI
    Last edited by BobbyJ; 03-04-2022 at 05:18 PM.

How many .32 ACP's do you need to load at one time?

A case feeder seems like overkill for such a small caliber that is used in small guns that are generally used for Self Defense.

Do you need lots of Self Defense?

Just wondering about this?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - it's our HOBBY! Just Have Phun loadin' .32ACP!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    How many .32 ACP's do you need to load at one time?

A case feeder seems like overkill for such a small caliber that is used in small guns that are generally used for Self Defense.

Do you need lots of Self Defense?

Just wondering about this?

Randy
    I think I did 300 rounds of 32 acp last batch. Just dumped them into the case feeder and loaded them. A little white tape fixed the jam issues.
    I have a collection of many calibers from 1920s to newer. And shoot with more than one person so 300 rounds is not hard to go through.
    32 acp is a smooth shooting round one of my favorites. Most people that shoot my old ones love them over say 9mm because the weight of the gun and low recoil. They tend to be better shots with them.
    1950 cz 50 and old PPs just smooth like butter to shoot. Love me 32 acp. At 52-58 cents a round why not reload for like 20 cents a round!
    Like Gonra said “it’s a hobby”

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA sez - it's our HOBBY! Just Have Phun loadin' .32ACP!
    Yea it is a hobby half the fun is reloading then shooting them. Any cost savings is gravy and quickly spent on new toys