MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Marlin m60 by any other name

Boolit Master
    Ive had 4 in the last few years, down to 2 and they will stay with me. One is JM stamped, the other is a Remlin that somehow made it out of the factory perfect. Sights, bluing, everything is right. The other one looked as it never had been shot. Looking for a scope for that one. My CZ455 is the best shooter, but the Remlin is very very close when both are using CCI SV. The Remlin 60 and Savage B22 FVSR get shot the most.

I guess Ruger can kill THE rifle that outsold their 10-22 for years now that they own Marlin......

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

So buy 'em while you can, 'cause the prices will be going up.
    Cognitive Dissident

I got the little Papoose out today( cousin of the m60) and shot two magazines of old mixed " jar ammo". It reminded me of how crappy some old rimfire scopes were! My wife claims this one, too.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I guess Ruger can kill THE rifle that outsold their 10-22 for years now that they own Marlin......

I'm not sure that any of the lower priced Marlins are coming back. The $300.00 bolt actions now command the market once dominated by cheaper versions of the 336 and 94. Low cost .22 rifles abound, and Ruger may not want to spend $$ and manpower getting a sub-$200.00 rifle back into production.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Nice little rifle, TbG. Very handy.

DG

One of my childhood friends had a Marlin 60. He was the grim reaper as far as squirrels and cotton tail rabbits were concerned. There is no way to count the number of Remington 22 LR's we put through that rifle and it never had a single hiccup. Lots of memories in those pics TBG
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I've always thought that the main thing the 60 had going for it is that most of them were really accurate for what little they cost. My best friend's first gun was a 60 and refused to eat anything other than Mini Mags. However, it was very accurate with everything we put through it. The accuracy is why he kept it for a long time in spite of the jams, and bought a stainless 882 to replace it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

It would be blasphemy, me being a dedicated single-shot man, but you guys are tempting me to add one to the collection while I still can.
    Cognitive Dissident

The clip fed version 995 was my first gun and I still have it.

Those model 700 are no slouch either. I mounted a scope on one and sighted it in for a friend of mine and it shot dime sized groups at 100 yds, no less. The trigger was a bit heavy but that rifle was a shooter. I offered him too much money for it but he just grinned and said no thanks. I've got a M25 in wmr that is pretty good as well. Marlin made darned good guns, period.Attachment 297436
    Last edited by murf205; 03-11-2022 at 05:37 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I've still got my gill gun. Springfield model 87A made in Chicopee Falls Massachusetts. Had it since 1963 when my uncle gave it to me on my birthday. When everything started to go sideways in 2009 and Obozo I grabbed a couple of Marlin model 60's wearing black synthetic outerwear. All are scoped and dialed in for 50 yards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

I regrettably do not own a model 60 any more. My father in law gave me a Savage Arms Springfield Model 187TS that was his brother's. Rifle was rusted up and had never been fired. Price tag still on the trigger guard $54.99. Got most of the rust off and finally got the action cleaned. Will be interesting to see how it shoots.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5288.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	297453
    Last edited by DDriller; 03-11-2022 at 10:18 PM.

Now that's a good story DRriller. Keep us posted on how it shoots after all that. We love pics, you know.

Father in law has one of those. The odd thing about it, is the bolt does not go fully back into battery after firing until you release the trigger. I read somewhere that ATF told Savage to change the design because it could be turned into an open bolt full auto.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got 2 Model 60s. The first one was a Christmas present in I think 1978 as it is a "special edition" Model 6079 with a kind of cheap brass medallion in the butt stock. I shot a heck of a lot of ammo through that gun over the years and it still wears the original Tasco scope. Some 20 years or so ago it got unreliable to the point of not worth the effort and it got stashed away in the safe. A few years ago I was browsing youtube videos and came across a video about fixing the model 60s reliability issues. After watching that I dug mine out of the safe and stripped it down and gave it a good cleaning and lubrication. Holy crap it was dirty. After that cleaning it has been as reliable as sunrise. The 2nd one I bought used almost 20 years ago when the 1st one was "retired". It is currently loaned my daughter and son in law for varmint control at their place. I'm a little afraid to see what condition it is in.

Just received an e-mail ad from J&G Sales advertising a semi-auto rifle made by Rossi for $149. The action looks just like the Marlin Mod. 60.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I just cleaned one up for a guy. It was a beater but I didn't know you could fit that much fouling inside that gun. The goop just poured out of it when I hit it with carb cleaner. Shot great once I cleaned it up.

Boolit Bub
    I also have a pair, one special addition long barrel (that I installed some nice peep sights on) and another shorter carbine length. Completely went through them a year ago and surprised that it was easy to obtain all the parts that I needed for them.

I had one other as I kid. It would jam all the time. Eventually the extractor broke and some years later I made one (looking back, I can’t believe I did it with the tools I had lol

Perp sights are the best darn thing ever for my old eyes, can’t shot post anymore but the peeps I can still shoot!

Boolit Mold
    I got one for Christmas in 1991, I was very excited about it! Shot it a lot and I still have it! It has the slightly short magazine tube (15 rounds?) instead of the full length 18 round.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast