WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Marlin m60 by any other name

A Marlin m60 by any other name

For grins I dug out the old Wespoint that my wife inherited. It ain't pretty as someone long ago was "sandhappy" and probably used varnish on the stock. She likes it as it is so I just let her make excellent shots with it.
    It's windy today so the shots veered a little but the gun shoots as well as I do.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

'Tis quite a nice rifle. Yours is much prettier than mine... Fyi -- should you need -- bion Marlin has the instruction manual for this rifle as a PDF download on their site. The URL is" https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/rimfire/
    Looks like a great scope you have complementing it as well.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    I fixed one for a friend of mine and gave him a scope for it. It is remarkably accurate for a cheap rifle
    Don Verna

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_20220219.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	297079
    Accurate too. Little wind drift @ 50 yds. Guess it still doesn't need cleaning.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 10/22 that I bought years ago, never fired a single shot from it. I always grab my Model 60.
    That one looks just fine to me TBG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post

Name:	Scan_20220219.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	297079
    Accurate too. Little wind drift @ 50 yds. Guess it still doesn't need cleaning.
    My nephew asked why I mess with the Marlin when there are so many aftermarket upgrades for the 10/22.
    I told him the Marlin didn't need any

Boolit Master
    Love my 18 round (gasp… high capacity) 1983 Mdl 60. Been honest and reliable so long as I feed her right. Though the 1950’s JC Higgins model 31 is a tad bit more accurate. The 10/22 though nice is a bit of a hassle, the 10rd rotary mag is a pain and the 25 rounder promotes burning through brick in no tome

Boolit Buddy
    I remember in my youth, lusting after them in the rack at K-Mart for $49.95. Way out of my price range at the time.

I have one, branded "Glenfield". It has a squirrel and acorns impressed into the pistol grip. Very accurate and reliable. Back when I was in the gunsmithing business I got a couple in for repair from different customers at different times with the complaint that they would not fire. I disassembled them, and in both cases they had the grime and grit of untold thousands of rounds of ammo gumming up their works from many years of neglect. A thorough cleaning solved the problem. Off the shelf, I also prefer the Mod. 60 to the 10/22.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Try the floppy disk spring mod. Remember those.... Exactly the same spring for the trigger return except its much lighter. Does not effect sear engagement. This and federal bulk auto match really made it a shooter.

I did mine about 4 years ago and I really had to ask around to find someone that still had a disk...

My oldest brothers first gun circa 1967 was the Montgomery Wards Westernfield version. I remember two things about that rifle.
    1. Even my 9 year old self could hit ground squirrels with it; by the canyon on the Buffalo, Oklahoma homestead.
    2. What rat shot feels like when accidentally shot with it! Jim was "cleaning" it and didn't realize that it was pointed at my leg across the room. Dad came running in, surveyed the situation, took the rifle up and whooped Bro while Mom the nurse pronounced me " will be allright".
    It gave me Farm Cred by golly.
    Looking back I'm glad that he didn't have Long Rifle ammo in there.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

When I want to rebarrel some old single shot "boys' rifle" I first look for a Model 60 barrel from a gun some dealer has broken up for parts. Always pleasingly accurate.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Back in my earlier years, of no money, all we shot was model 60’s, because Dad wouldn’t let us touch his Marlin model 39 a! Oh lord, the amount of Federal Lightning rounds I put through those great little rifles! Many a cotton tail ,squirrels, and even some pond turtles were put to rest with that little gun.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Those pics bring back memories. Mine was a Western Auto Revelation by Marlin. Most accurate rifle I ever had.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Misery-Whip View Post
    Try the floppy disk spring mod. Remember those.... Exactly the same spring for the trigger return except its much lighter. Does not effect sear engagement. This and federal bulk auto match really made it a shooter.

I did mine about 4 years ago and I really had to ask around to find someone that still had a disk...
    Now you mention the tip after I had thrown out/destroyed several dozen of them. Thanks for the tip. Will keep an eye out as there have to be more around here somewhere.

Boolit Master
    I have a 39a and a M60, the Model 60 outshoots the 39a so the 39a sits in the safe.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a 60w about a 1/2 dozen years ago as part of a package deal with some other marlins that all needed new parts and pieces, got a new walnut stock from numrich for $50 to replace the shattered stock it came with and never realized how good they are till I started shooting it. was thinking the other day maybe it deserves a new rimfire scope to help my old tired eyes see targets better.

Name:	IM007060.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	297119
    Click to enlarge.

This newspaper ad is from March, 1990, and was published every week for years by Big 5 Sporting Goods. Only the prices changed, but the art work remained the same. Notice anything unusual about the rifle? How would you like to buy .22 LR ammo for it at those prices?! I have to confess that a couple of times I asked the sales clerks to show me one of the magazine-tube fed rifles, and when they returned from the back room shaking their heads I chuckled a bit.

Thinking about the Mod. 60 and it's close relatives, I recall working on several of the trigger groups. The mechanism, consisting of several small parts, was sandwiched between two metal plates. On the very early ones the plates were held together by several long, thin screws inserted from one side (right side if I remember correctly) and screwing into tiny holes on the left side. Then, they began using "e" clips which snapped/pushed onto grooved pins. Finally, the last version I can recall working on were long, skinny rivets. I remember phoning Marlin and asking if they could sell me some rivets, and the lady said, "They're not meant to be taken apart." I haven't examined a new one for years, so can't say what the final evolution was.

DG

Boolit Master

Mine was a glenfield model 60 , kmart about mid 70's for 39.99 and tax , skinned a lot of cascara bark to get it and the first half case of shells for it , was accurate , cut stock and gave it to a stepson .

As to the ad they are showing the tube of the 600 and the magazine of the 700 on same picture .

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, but the add does say '600 or 700'. I guess mine is the 700 'cause mine is clip fed.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast