WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubrasizer..

Lubrasizer..

What's the most budget yet versatile option for a lubrasizer type thing? Anything out there that I can use in conjunction with my NOE bushings?
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master

Tumble lubing, or coating are the best for bushing sizers. You can dip lube normal lube, and size in the bushing sizers, but I wouldn't want to do more than maybe 200 at a time like that. Tumble lubing is going to be the most budget friendly option there is for shooting. I own a Lyman 450, but I wouldn't really recommend it unless you get one free or really cheap. No way I'd pay over $100 for one. Once you get that much, just hunt for a used Star. Both take their own dies, and will not work with NOE dies.

Boolit Master
    Pan lubing. Look it up sorry I dont have time to type a response. It's not a tool just a cheap way to apply lube.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master

Watch the for sale forum for a Lyman 450.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I am not a "NOE Guy" so I can't say about NOE Bushings. Lube/Sizers from Lyman and RCBS, the two brands that I know, require [interchangeable] [strike]specific and independent[/strike] lube/sizing dies with internal boolit sizing ring diameters measured in thousandths of an inch, in increments "equal to", "a thou" larger than, and a "couple of thou" larger than, a specific caliber bore diameter.

Izzat a Hog Nose Snake you are holding in your Avitar? Nicely played regardless...

[Late Note: changed my response as others noted "interchangeability" in RCBS and Lyman dies, which my original wording can be interpreted otherwise]
    Last edited by Land Owner; 03-03-2022 at 10:19 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Wolfdog,
    good morning.
    The BIG issue with the different brands of Lube-sizers is tooling costs. Dies and top punches are expensive, whereas the initial purchase of the press isn't really too bad. AND...they all use different tooling, with one exception, RCBS and Lyman are pretty much interchangeable.

None of them will use your NOE bushings.

It's best to research the "Pros and Cons" of the different Lube-sizers, to discover which suits your needs the best.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Lyman and RCBS use the same dies interchangeably.

Either pan lubing or tumble lubing can work. You can then use a Lee push through sizer. I find LLA to be the least desirable because it is messy.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

The most economical hard lube system is the old lee pan lube cookie cutter deal. Used a couple of them for years before I got a used lyman 450.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    The most economical hard lube system is the old lee pan lube cookie cutter deal. Used a couple of them for years before I got a used lyman 450.
    Did a lot of boolits with one of those back in the day.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    Don’t forget that the RCBS and Lyman lubesizers can also gas check for you too with the little seating tool they make.

I went through the same barrier and just invested some time looking for a lube sizer. When you are looking for one, they seem to appear out of nowhere. Stumbled into two of them, one Lyman for 100.00 and another RCBS for 60.00. A few gunshows later, I had a nice box full of the common size dies and pushers. I now set up one lubesizer on each side of the bench, nice and handy.

That all lead me to searching for local bees wax and lube recipes and spending more hours reading here….so it’s a win win!!

Boolit Buddy
    Keep an eye on eBay for a Lyman 45. This forum has all the info you need to be up and running with minimal cost.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Lyman and RCBS use the same dies interchangeably.

Either pan lubing or tumble lubing can work. You can then use a Lee push through sizer. I find LLA to be the least desirable because it is messy.
    Messy? In what way?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    WD

You are a young man who seems really into shooting. My advice is to put cost way down the list of your criteria. Good equipment lasts a life time. Equipment that meets your needs is a pleasure to use

Look at your current needs and where you think you will be heading.

Most people tell you what they use.

I have three methods. Each has advantages. BTW I do not powder coat....use a Star, have two Lyman 45’s and then BLL.

Do more thinking. I suspect a lot of good used stuff will be available as people leave the hobby. If you know your long term goals you can pounce on deals on dies and equipment as they become available.
    Don Verna

Very true, my second lyman lubrisizer was from the leftovers of an estate sale/ giveaway. Needed a good cleaning but works fine. One is set up for .45 and the other for .311.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm another that is going to advise to not let budget be the biggest deciding factor.

You can pan lube, tumble lube or even powder coat. Or use a sizer / lubricator.

I have a Lyman 450, have used an RCBS and have a Star. The Star is by far the fastest but there is a small learning curve with it. The Lyman and the RCBS work about the same. The linkage on the RCBS seems to be a little stronger. Strength is not a big factor unless you are reducing the bullet diameter several thousands. There are dozens of lube recipes for homemade lube and dozens of different types of commercial lube. Some will require a heater.

Vendor Sponsor

The Lee APP works with the NOE bushings but only for sizing and not lubing the bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Boolit Buddy
    In my lifetime I've wasted countless hours with two-cavity molds. Happily I did not make that mistake with lubrication and purchased a Lyman 450 when I began casting. Over the decades I have replaced the (inexpensive) handle once, and a cotter pin a couple of times. I mention this to emphasize the endurance of the tool so prospective buyers will not shy away from a used one.
    As previously said, economy should not necessarily be the deciding factor and a younger reloader buying a lubrisizer today will feel smug in middle age.

I use a Lyman 450, and I also use tumble lube and lee push through sizers. I also have done a fair amount of pan lubing, using lee sizers. All three work. The pan lubings benefit is its cheap and easy. It isn’t super time consuming, but isn’t as fast as others.

The quickest and easiest is lee sizers and tumble lube. But tumble lube gets lube all over the nose of the bullet and looks bad unless you use just the right amount. I tend to overlube.

The 450 works great for applying gas checks. It also is clean to work and keeps the nose of the bullets clean. So loaded rounds don’t need wiping or have a mess in a baggie.

I figure out what tool I want, then save up and budget to get it.

If you start off with something you don't really like, then you'll want to save up and get what you really want later.
    And the trade in value on the marginal one kind of sucks.

Getting a premium tool will do a good job for you, and last a lifetime.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have followed some of your threads , & get the sense you are more interested in cast rifle shooting with power coated boollits , so your needs for a lubesizer will be much different than mine .
    I guess my question would be what are your plans for your future cast shooting ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast