Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: 9mm luger jacketed bullet ballistic drop charts.

Boolit Master

9mm luger jacketed bullet ballistic drop charts.

Didn't know where to stick this so if the mods wish to move it,OK with me

My brother recently asked if there were ballistic bullet drop charts for 115,124,and 147 jacketed bullets starting at 25 yds out to 100 yds. The ones in the Gun Digest are useless. Would be nice to start at 25 yds,to 50yds,75yds and 100 yds. Why he would want to shoot 9mm out to 100 yds is beyond me. Thanks in advance for your help. Oh yeah initial zero at 25 yds then use that to shoot at the 3 remaining distances. This is with common factory bullets as he does not handload. Thanks again. Frank

Boolit Master
    A while back I didn't believe a 9mm would hold up to 100 yards so I benched at 25 yards for 0 and at 100 yards very little drop with a 124 gr 9mm. I could still hit the target<not every time> but I was using a 1911 with a 6 o'clock hold. If you can aim at the bottom of a coke can at 25 yards and hit you can come very close to one at 100 yards without changing sights with a 9mm traveling about 1100fps.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 03-02-2022 at 06:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are online ballistic charts you can access

Boolit Buddy
    JBM Ballistics is a full-featured, free, ballistic calculator that will allow you do generate and print trajectory tables.

You'll just need an accurate BC for the projectile as well as accurate velocities and sight height over bore centerline for YOUR firearm. You can put in weather and all sorts of other stuff, but for short-range, most if that is irrelevant.

Just remember...Garbage in, garbage out. If you just SWAG the velocity and sight height, your results won't be any better than what they publish on the back of the box of factory ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    JBM is powerful, but the interface is a little clunky. The biggest confusion for me was the bullet data section (top 3 lines).

You can select a bullet from their library OR you can put in your own data. Only need to do one. The confusing thing is that if you select a bullet, the fields in the "enter it yourself" section DO NOT update.

So if you pick "Winchester, 0.355 cal, 115 gr, USA Full Metal Jacket" from the library, the other boxes in that area will remain the default (220gr .308 with a G1 BC of 0.5). Just ignore that...It will indeed use the library selection.

Boolit Buddy
    This is what JBM outputs. Note that the sight height and velocity here are swags, so this table is likely inaccurate
    Attachment 297032

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Didn't know where to stick this so if the mods wish to move it,OK with me

My brother recently asked if there were ballistic bullet drop charts for 115,124,and 147 jacketed bullets starting at 25 yds out to 100 yds. The ones in the Gun Digest are useless. Would be nice to start at 25 yds,to 50yds,75yds and 100 yds. Why he would want to shoot 9mm out to 100 yds is beyond me. Thanks in advance for your help. Oh yeah initial zero at 25 yds then use that to shoot at the 3 remaining distances. This is with common factory bullets as he does not handload. Thanks again. Frank
    I loaded the Speer 115, 124, and 147 grain bullets and Speer's published BCs into the Precision Ballistics Application and then used the Hodgdon CFE Pistol reccomended starting loads to get muzzle velocitys.

These are the screen snips from the ballistic calculations of each bullet out to 100 yards, with a zero range of 25 yards.

Hope this helps.

(Click images for larger size)

Speer 115 Grain TMJ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speer 115 gr Bullet.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	297023 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speer 115 gr setup.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	297024 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speer 115 gr Path.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	297025

Speer 124 Grain TMJ

Name:	Speer 124 gr Bullet.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	297027 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speer 124 gr setup.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	297026 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speer 124 gr Path.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	297028

Speer 147 Grain TMJ Flat Point

Name:	Speer 147 gr Bullet.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	297029 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speer 147 gr setup.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	297030 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speer 147 gr Path.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	297031
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 03-03-2022 at 02:37 AM. Reason: spelling
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master
    Tom, thanks very much. For reasons only known to my brother he wants to shoot 9mm at 100 yds. He has fixed sights on his 9mm. With a couple of the 9mm's I have all have adjustable sights. As well as my 45. Fun with a 45 though. Frank

FWIW, when I was younger and didn't need bifocals we used to shoot at a 5x9 plate at 100yds. In order to hit it with 115gr standard velocity ammo and not cover up the target I'd do the 6 o-clock hold with a S&W auto, only lower the rear sight about halfway through the dot on the front sight. 1911 took the whole front sight above the rear with light loads.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 03-03-2022 at 08:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    there is an FBI training film, might be on youtube somewhere, where 100 yard shooting, from standing unsupported position, with 40 S&W was demonstrated.
    it was made not long after the 40 was developed and adopted

Boolit Master
    Go to a range and set up targets at the distance you want to shoot and find out for real. No guess work or wrong input numbers. And it's more fun.

Moderator Emeritus

Hornaday manuals have the drop tables.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Tom, thanks very much. For reasons only known to my brother he wants to shoot 9mm at 100 yds. He has fixed sights on his 9mm. With a couple of the 9mm's I have all have adjustable sights. As well as my 45. Fun with a 45 though. Frank
    You don't shoot at 100 yards? Sometimes I shoot my handguns at rocks 300-400 yards or more just for fun. 100 yards is nothing.

Boolit Master
    I emailed my brother with a link for Tom Meyers Precision Shooting software. No adjustable sights. That and found a 2012 ballistics kinda sorta chart. So lets see what he comes up with. Furthest I've shot 9mm is 50 yds. Thanks for all of your help. Frank