Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: So, I got this mold and...

So, I got this mold and...

Ya gotta wonder how many goofy threads started like that here. But seriously, I picked up this one, Lee 1-Cavity Improved Minie Ball Bullet Mold 533-410M (533 Diameter) 410 Grain, from Midway, and I noticed it has a separate third piece to make the hollow skirt, permanently attached to the bottom of the mold. It will be a little time before I can set up the casting bench, but I am curious if you guys who have been there/done that have any tips with this kind of mold. Casting for a T/C Renegade .54 cal.
    Thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    If its anything like the lee key drive slug molds, deburr it well, degrease it, and treat it GENTLY and it will serve you well. I might be too rough but I only get 250-350 slugs from a lee 3 piece mold, not that im complaining...I feel its a fair attempt on a $25 product.

If its a bullet design that you like have a backup ready.... when the skirt cone starts to get off center it will gall on the mold blocks and wont close correctly. They used to use a rivit, now its a screw, make sure it stays tight and centered.

My $0.02 (we really should give this a raise...)

Boolit Grand Master

De-Burr and smooth all surfaces . Clean well with acetone or Lacquer Thinner .
    Keep surfaces lightly lubed with synthetic two-stroke oil to prevent galling .
    Keep pivot points lubed .
    Run metal / mould on the hot side .
    Let sprue harden , six or seven second long count before cutting sprue .
    Firm taps with a wooden hammer handle are better than pounding it with a heavy blow ...
    Lee moulds need to be handled like a newborn baby ... gently .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Does anybody have a 450 minie mold that drops at 448 to 450. The new ones won’t. 447 is all I can get. They are worth a little more these days.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gobeyond View Post
    Does anybody have a 450 minie mold that drops at 448 to 450. The new ones won’t. 447 is all I can get. They are worth a little more these days.
    If your mould drops them .447" and you need it to drop .448" to .450" , Find the "sticky" on the process "How To Beagle a Mould" it will instruct on process that enlarges the diameter of an existing mould ... it doesn't require metal working tools or permenant alterations to the mould . I've read about it but never did it , envolves thin metal tape strips , placed on block face to cast larger diameter boolit ... check into it .
    I would post a link but I'm old & computer illterate ... maybe a smarter member can post the " How To Beagle a Mould " instructions .

I did a google search on the term "How do you beagle a mold" and the search turned up a link to this site and instructions ... I just don't know how to get it on this post ... being old sucks ... but I do the best I can with what the Lord gave me .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 05-13-2022 at 04:23 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banner Sponsor

The problem with Beagling a hollow base mold is keeping the base pin centered.

For casting with your hollow base Minnie, be sure to turn it upside down before you open the mold to release the bullet. If it sticks, don't tap on the base pin. It will bend the little tab. Tap gently on the hinge bolt to get the bullet to drop off.
    The hollow base Minnie is supposed to expand to seal the bore. I'm not sure that I'd worry about. 001"

I haven't gotten mine up and running yet - work keeps getting in the way....

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have several of the Lee HB molds and all work just fine. I warm mine up on the pot as I melt the lead and after several pours I get good results. I tend to keep my lead on the hot side. Get a good cadence going and they drop like butter. I also have some other brands that are set up the same way as the Lee molds - i.e. HB pin attached to the blocks the same way - RCBS, Ideal/Lyman which were customizes as well as several Rapine molds. All of them work great and saves the hassle of having to hand insert/remove the base pin fo each pour.

Good luck - it won't take you long to get used yo that style of mold.

Boolit Buddy
    IME, making hollow base bullets with near pure lead is a tough challenge in the best of conditions. You can try all sorts of tricks to get a poor mold to make decent bullets. But, if you have a bargain basement mold that’s not not up to the task, learn your lesson and buy a decent mold. You’ll be much happier in the long run.

Boolit Master
    I have that mold, I tried the bullet in 20 gauge shotguns but they keyhole for me,no matter what.

The mold itself has not given me any problems - my slug alloy was ~13 BHN mix of WW/Linotype. They cast and drop fine. Of course the mold is quite delicate.