RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Lowered hammer spur?

Boolit Master

Lowered hammer spur?

Hey all,

Haven’t posted a lot in the last week, left hand (I’m a lefty handgunner) but shoot rifles right handed, yes I’m wierd, Long story short my left hand got SERIOUSLY shredded by a large dog - long story and looks like after one major surgery I’m most likely going to have a second. I won’t be able to shoot pistols with lefty for a few month..

Righty had a thumb bone replacement a dozen years back and thumb isn’t long enough anymore to hammer back my single action revolvers easily.

So question is since I won’t be able to shoot with lefty does anyone know of a dropped hammer for Ruger Vaquero and Blackhawk pistols?

Super bummed, just got and was going too shoot Uberti 1860 BP Pistol last weekend….and if you have a God, I would appreciate a few prayers from you.

Many Thanks,

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    The Montado model hammers are a bit lower. Also,, the Bisley hammers have a different profile that might help.

Sadly,, the Montado hammers aren't easily found,, and the Bisley hammers may not work easily with the Blackhawk g/f.

Contact a FINE gentleman in texas,, Ronnie Wells. rwgripframes at gmail dot com.
    He's making grip frames & some hammers etc. He MIGHT have a good answer for you.
    Next,, maybe Tyler Gun Works,, Bobby Tyler. I don't have his email handy,, but he does have a website.

Boolit Buddy

Done!!

Sorry to hear of your issues, but as to the lowered hammer on the Blackhawks, almost all of mine wear Super Blackhawk hammers, which are quite a bit lower than regular Blackhawk hammers. They're also wider. If I take one of the few Blackhawks out to shoot that still have standard hammers, I have to reach up further to reach them. By the way, I use the thumb of my support hand to cock the hammer, so I don't have to change my grip every time I cock the gun. It's also much faster that way.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Vendor Sponsor

Yep, the SBH hammer runs about $30 from Midway, or get one from Ruger. It's probably 5/16" lower than the NM Vaquero hammer (which is actually taller in profile than the original full size Vaquero).

The Bisley hammer has to be machined down to fit in the Vaquero grip frame, or you machine the hammer slot back quite a ways to fit the Bisley hammer, either way a lot of work for not as much to gain between Bisley vs. SBH hammer spur height compared to Vaquero vs. SBH.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys for the additions. I plum forgot to mention the Super hammers.

Boolit Master
    Years back some gunfighters had their hammers about 1/2 way down the arc on the back of the hammer for what was known as slip firing. In use the hammer was drawn back to the frame and released to fire. Triggers were held back wit the grip of the hand or taped/tied back. IIRC McGivern's book has a pic of this.

Too much of a mod would me lots of alterations inside to make it work. If an SBH hammer would come close that's probably the quick and easy fix.

Boolit Master

Thank you for all the answers guys. For those that may be interested Power custom Montado kits are available in stock - blued, from Midway, I may try one. Thank goodness I’ve got a gunsmith buddy….

Art

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1500376370?pid=529269

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1500640507?pid=983986
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell