Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ross Seyfried M.I.A.....?

Ross Seyfried M.I.A.....?

hey guys.
    Ross was my favorite writer in Handloader and Rifle magazine.
    he has been gone for some time
    anyone know where he went or what he is doing?
    does he still write for anyone?
    sorry if this wasnt the best spot to post this

Boolit Master
    I heard from somewhere that he was writing for Double Gun Journal.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Buddy
    A few months back he also penned an article for American Rifleman.

He's still healthy, and hunting. I know an old HS Buddy who went on an elk hunt with him two months ago in IIRC.......Colorado.

FN in MT

Boolit Master
    Sure wish he'd write more. I miss his articles much.

He wrote one on a 4 wheeler about a year ago, but I forget which magazine it was in.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Buddy
    Ross Seyfried is my favorite writer and has been since mid 80s. Most often these days his work can be found in double Gun and Single Shot Journal. Seyfried was a Keith protege and like his mentor has been said to be a bit of a challenge to work with at times. I don't know that for sure about ross but it certainly was of Elmer, who did not suffer fools gladly.

The nature of publications has changed much since Seyfried began his writing career. G&A used to have room for for technical articles (like serious reloading and custom gun stuff) while in that vein Handloader and Rifle were at the top of the heap. The latter two are still at the top of the heap as far as I am concerned but even they have slipped into piblishing largely articles to tickle the fancy of the manufacturer of the month of the latest me-too creation (?). This is not Ross' forte and I doubt he is easily coerced into writing what an editor wants him to say. His work I have read in most recent years has been about the grand old guns from the masters of yesteryear and in particular, making them shoot again. Townsend Whelen once wrote that "only accurate rifles are interesting". John Barsness recently wrote that since accurate rifles are so commonplace nowdays, it is the out-of-the-ordinary rifles that are really interesting (or at least a line to that effect headlined his article). This is more likely where Ross Seyfried fits in these days.

I would trade a whole year's worth of issues of most of todays gun rags for a single article by Seyfried.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    I would trade a whole year's worth of issues of most of todays gun rags for a single article by Seyfried.
    Or Skeeter or Elmer or Ken Waters or Al Miller or Bob Milek or George Nonte or ......

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Or Skeeter or Elmer or Ken Waters or Al Miller or Bob Milek or George Nonte or ......

Me too.

I stopped buying gun comics 10 years ago as I thought they were becoming just advertising rags.

You just got the impression that anyone could produce a gun related product and it was brilliant, there is no real critquing, or original thinking happening now.

In saying that I might just be tempted by the online subscription to Handloader and Rifle, that seems a bit more realistic price for these shadows of their former selves.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Finn Aaguard excuse the attemped spelling was also a good writer.African experiance etc....................Harold

Boolit Master
    G and A, Shooting Times, etc. are just insane now, how many articles on the leverevolution ammunition can they do? I still do take Handloader, Rifle and S. Hunter magazine as they are the best of the lot. But if Scovill gets rid of (taking liberty here) our Mike V. and Brian Pearce, I'll be out. Those two make the mags for me. Berit Aagard has written a couple articles in Hunter that I thought were excellent, but I've only seen a couple. The internet (such as this sight) has replaced G and A, ST, Petersons Hunting (which at one time was my favorite) and others that I had before. Read a lot of Glen Fryxell's stuff too, and is very enjoyable. I have in the past liked Jamison, Sundra, Boddington, Simpson and others but lately seems like they have gone stale and just don't touch on anything new, except advertising.
    I'm really sick of seeing everyone using Encores for hunting in the rags and tv too. There still are other guns out there, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Speaking of good old George Nonte, his handloading for hand guners is still the best book I have ever found for the begining reloader, I wish I could find another copy as mine is getting dog eared from all the folks I have lent it to
    TexRebel

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."
    Alexander Hamilton

Jamison ticked the gun companies off so much with his games that I doubt any of them will even talk to him now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually, the lawsuit involving Jamison and compensation for his work (from Winchester for one) make it necessary for him to leave the writing trade.

No longer impartial, don't you know. As if they are now, with the lurid advertising copy in some of these magazines.

In Remebrance

Could someone fill me in on what happened to Rick Jamison? I used to love his stuff when I was starting out in the late 70's, read his stuff through the 80's and early 90's and sort of lost track of him. Whats the kerfluffle?

Hey- I'll give you another one- Jim Carmichael used to do some GREAT stuff in his early years, so did Dave (The Ego) Scoville. Those 2 should return to their roots and try and have a little fun with it again.

Boolit Master

My opinion on Ross's being gone from the gun comics (great name, Dromia!) is I don't think he'd take any crap from his editor and he also liked the old guns you had to cast for. Like many of us!

Gun comics! That says it all. I haven't bought one for a long time.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Moderator Emeritus

Bret, AIRC Jamison sued winchester with the idea that he had invented the short mags or at least the idea of a shrt fat magnum being more efficient. He did get an out of court settlement which has been kept quiet and it may state that he is not to work in the trade again. That or loose all advertising from Win/Rem and now Ruger because someone hired him after they were in court against each other. This is what I have heard alluded to on other boards but no one has ever said these are the facts. I cannot therefor claim they are facts just a perception.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Well Gents...I have saved old G&A from the '70s on up and now I won't waste my money on the rag. I miss the old sages like Elmer, Jack O'Conner, Skeeter, Al Miller and as a Handloader fan...Ken Waters.

The new breed of writers rubber stamp everything and speak from a point of little practical experience. I just picked up a CD of the four publications on bullet casting spanning 1966 through 1992, with articles from George Nonte....what a treasure. I miss the writings of those intellegent and articulate individuals....
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Buddy
    Man, those names bring back memories!

I started readin G&A in the late 70's and have almost every single copy stored in packers from 1980 up to the late 90's when the rag started going to hell. As far as I know the only old guard writer left is Gary James and I hate to think why he is still with them, as stated by others, its nothing but gratuitous advertisement and has NOTHING of substance.

Ross seyfried was always my favorite, few men wrote like him and was able to provide such a varied pallete firearms subjects to suit all of our tastes, how I wish he was being published monthly again, I could barely wait till my new G&A arrived each month and read every single page. I still use those magazines for reference, along with a healthy collection of gun rags going back to WWII with all the old greats, to be perfectly candid, the 80's were probably the golden age as there were still a good number of great men that were not only writing about these thing but LIVING them, men like Bob Millek, Seyfried, Skeeter Skelton, Kieth and more, they were the brain trust of damn good writeres and real men, not like Boddington and some of the other's that in my opinion, couldnt make a patch on one of the mens posterior anatomy.

I wish Seyfried would start a web site and dedicate it to all his old works AND new, I want to see him build new rifles and shoot sub-moa at mile plus targets (NOT with a .50 caliber either!), his article on paperpatching jacketed bullets was phenonimal as well as those on casting, I could spend hours reading his work on rare old English pieces and pistols that would make most men cry to shoot, he also pushed the envelope on modern weapons and even had article about hunting black bear with an M1A!.

Well, I guess we wont see those days again, men were men and there were no mall ninja's, men were bold and self sufficient and made something of themselves, not now, we are in the age of the wimp.

Fortunately we have places like Cast Boolits, there are men as I described above still living here and it is good that we can find each other and communicate in a way that was inconceivable 20 years or more ago, I am very happy to be a part of this board and a few others of the same ilk, we have a few of our own "Ross Seyfried's" here and elsewhere that would not have had the chance to share their wondeful knowledge and skill if we couldnt push a few elecctrons around cyberspace, heres to you guys! Keep it alive and well for the next generation.

Jeff

(please forgive and spelling or gramatical errors, english is not my forte guys!)

Man is this a blast from the past. I can remember as a kid waiting every month for my Dad's gun rags to show up so I could read the articles from Skeeter, et all. About the only gun rag I read anymore is American Handgunner, mostly just to see what's new out there.
    Μολών Λaβέ!

"Since you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of
    freedom - I'll go from you in peace...Enjoy licking the hands that feed you. May your chains sit lightly
    upon you, and may posterity forget that I was your countryman." - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast