RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Value of rough 1901 1894 in 25-35

Boolit Man

Value of rough 1901 1894 in 25-35

I’m wondering a approximate value of a Winchester 1894 saddle ring carbine that I think was made around 1901, I don’t have any pictures but the wood has some chips out of it the tang has been broke and welded up most of the bluing is gone and all in all it’s not in very good shape, but I think it still functions . Just wondering if it’s worth anything as it looks to have a lot of stories to tell. Thanks for any Info. Edit that’s supposed to say 1894 in the title.
    Last edited by happyfast79; 02-28-2022 at 11:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Just being honest - those are generally bought for far more than they are worth. Mostly because someone decided that a story is worth their money.
    I bought a 1903 src that was essentially glued into a scabbard for nearly $850 because I knew the story and wanted to own a snippet of my memories. I bought an 1898 eastern carbine in similar shape for 90 bucks.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Ok thanks for the reply, this one will be less than $400 but, wasn’t sure if I would be able to recoup my money if I ever need to.

Boolit Bub
    Your call, but unless it was in good enough shape to be a decent shooter, I'm not sure I'd really care what stories it could tell in that condition. But for the price range you are talking about, I would still probably be interested myself, even against better judgment! I have a very well used 1906 SRC in 30-30 that runs like a champ and shoots great. It's one of my favorite guns.

I would think that parted out it would be worth $400 but without actually seeing it, it’s a guess.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like he also has a 30-30 that’s is a few years newer and in a lot better shape. I might pick it up.

Would you have a way of firing it and see if primers back out ( excessive headspace)? Is the broken tang a grip tang? If so, how well done was the welding?

Boolit Master
    one of my smoothest operating lever actions is an ugly winchester 1894 SRC 25-35 from 1906. there is no blueing left on receiver furniture is not real pretty. but it still shoots.
    as far as value of these types of guns. I'm pretty sure the market is strong and finding one at $400 that is complete and operates, I would think your good. I dont think there are many pre 64 winchesters that can be bought that cheap. this is just my non expert opinion though.
    there are many many winchester 1894's out there and also parts. ive watched incomplete disassembled guns like this with no receivers sell for prices up to $400 on the big auction site.

Boolit Man
    It’s my brother in laws, so I could shoot it, the weld is on the top tang and looks ok. I may just pick up the better condition 30-30 and call it a day.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    one of my smoothest operating lever actions is an ugly winchester 1894 SRC 25-35 from 1906. there is no blueing left on receiver furniture is not real pretty. but it still shoots.
    as far as value of these types of guns. I'm pretty sure the market is strong and finding one at $400 that is complete and operates, I would think your good. I dont think there are many pre 64 winchesters that can be bought that cheap. this is just my non expert opinion though.
    there are many many winchester 1894's out there and also parts. ive watched incomplete disassembled guns like this with no receivers sell for prices up to $400 on the big auction site.
    That’s kinda what I was thinking. But I think I can get the better condition 30-30 for the same price , so I will probably jump on it and see if he still has the other one further down the road.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am one of those who is not impressed by old, worn out guns just because they are old. I'd jump on the 30-30 and never look back.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    If it has a good barrel it would be worth picking up for the $400 price if you want a 25-35. Even if the weld is in need of help it's not something that can't be done. Everything is bringing too much right now , gas just hit near $4.00 a gallon here yesterday.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Man
    So the 25-35 is from 1897, and the 30-30 is from 1907.
    30-30 has good looking metal but wrong stock set ( newer) and stock has been cut off and a recoil pad that doesn’t even come close to fitting on on it.

But I figure I should be able to find some period correct furniture and make it look original. So I’m gona get the 30-30.