Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made some 3D printed parts for my lube sizer.

Boolit Buddy

Made some 3D printed parts for my lube sizer.

I designed and printed a .45 caliber transfer bar and drop tube.
    It works perfectly well.
    Next I may try to make a top punch.

Moderator Emeritus

What type filament did you use, i.e PLA?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    What type filament did you use, i.e PLA?
    PTEG.
    That's what I always use.
    I just got used to working with it.
    I have a roll of PLA that I may try playing around with.
    I want to make some die holders and a .45 bullet feeder plate.

I will try to post the files to Thingiverse this weekend.

Moderator Emeritus

I have to start learning CAD AGAIN! Finally found a tutorial I like. I tried using PTEG just before my gf took over my printer area and couldn't get it to work right. Another one of these days project.

Boolit Buddy
    PETG is a little more complex to deal with since it is running a higher temp and requires a heated print bed to not warp. Look into PETG + as it has a lot of the same properties of PETG but less hassles.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ddeck22 View Post
    PETG is a little more complex to deal with since it is running a higher temp and requires a heated print bed to not warp. Look into PETG + as it has a lot of the same properties of PETG but less hassles.
    Thanks. I have the Creality 6se which has the heated bed and I can manually adjust settings. Never knew about the PETG+.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Thanks. I have the Creality 6se which has the heated bed and I can manually adjust settings. Never knew about the PETG+.
    Same printer that I have.
    I run 240/80 for PETG

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    I run 240/80 for PETG
    Thanks. Might give it another try this weekend. I now have the printer setup in a walk in closet. Yea, I know but actually made it work. Put a shelf in above some storage bins and used a dead space.

Boolit Master
    What CAD program do ya'll use for 3D modeling? I'm in the process of learning FreeCAD which seems to work.

I just got a Crealy 6 myself and use PLA since that's what came with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    What CAD program do ya'll use for 3D modeling? I'm in the process of learning FreeCAD which seems to work.

I'm using Fusion 360. It's free to use as a hobbyist.
    I've walked away from it a few times out of frustration but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Moderator Emeritus

I had the same problems in trying to to understand the programming. Tried a lot of different tutorials but just got frustrated. Found one made by "Make with Tech" and things finally started to click. I am going back to his videos to refresh what little I learned and to hopefully finish one video. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    The quickest, easiest modeling tool is Tinkercad. You can get up and running in about 15 minutes. FreeCad (as you know) has a much steeper learning curve. Of course, Tinkercad has less features, but it is awesome to get started.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeck22 View Post
    The quickest, easiest modeling tool is Tinkercad. You can get up and running in about 15 minutes. FreeCad (as you know) has a much steeper learning curve. Of course, Tinkercad has less features, but it is awesome to get started.
    I have used Tinkercad up until recently.
    The problem with Tinkercad is the resolution.
    When you try to print something that’s a circle it looks more like a polygon.
    I’ll post up a couple of things I printed off of Tinkercad compared to fusion and you’ll be able to see right away what the problem is especially for anything that needs some precision.

Moderator Emeritus

The guy I referenced above started by having you look at tinkercad to get you thinking the right way then went on into freecad.

I'd be interested if someone designed the rest of the bullet feeder.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used Tinkercad up until recently.
    The problem with Tinkercad is the resolution.
    When you try to print something that’s a circle it looks more like a polygon.
    I’ll post up a couple of things I printed off of Tinkercad compared to fusion and you’ll be able to see right away what the problem is especially for anything that needs some precision.
    There is a setting called "Sides" on the cylinders in Tinkercad. You can create more sides and that increases the number of sides so that you don't get that polygonal shape. The default is 20, but you can go to 64.

I have and use Autocad everyday in the Construction industry for 50 years, designing and building all kinds of Architecture. But I never hardly looked at 3D. In fact I wasn't that sure it could do it very well. Then I got a 3d printer. Was like starting over.

Not knowing much, I decided to download and tryout Fusion 360.....which was great, but with Autodesk having me for a commercial customer, I could only do it free for a month. Then they wanted to charge my commercial account, a lot of money. So I removed it and started looking seriously at the Autocad I have already. I found it could do anything Fusion 360 could do....what a shock! Good thing too, because with Autocad training, I would have to unlearn every Autocad command and start totally foreign commands that were like learning to speak Chinese. But there was still a problem......the bullet collator thread here! Ammo Mike and TylerR and RedlegEd use software just as foreign and incompatible to learn as me moving to China.

They use Openscad, a programmers cad, and DesignSpark Mechanical (both free) to create all the Bullet Collator, and APP files in our Bullet Collator thread. Totally incompatible with Autocad. So I'm in the same boat as you guys.....but learning enough to contribute some.

If you are a computer programmer, do look at OpenScad, but whether you learn Openscad or not, either way look at DesignSpark. It is extremely powerful and free, and even better you can modify, to you own needs, all the files created in that wonderful thread here on Cast Boolits.....it's all about compatibility, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel over and over. I'm absolutely sure that you guys WITHOUT cad training can learn it faster than I can, not having all that Autocad in the brain.

I still print lots of 3d using Autocad, but I can only share the .stl files, which aren't alterable hardly at all. But if you learn DesignSpark Mechanical, that's a whole nuther world that opens up. Check it out, its Free.....and there's quite a bit of online help.

Moderator Emeritus

I run 240/80 for PETG
    Tried those settings and no go. I have Overture filament. Odd that the test strip down the left side works but not the print.

Boolit Mold
    thump_rrr nice job man.

For 3D modeling I'm using the Fusion 360 as well, I think it's the best tool.

Boolit Buddy
    I have done top punches for my old Lyman 45 in PLA - thousands of bullets and have yet to have one wear out. PLA is actually stronger than PETG for parts that aren't exposed to heat.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3978077
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3975185

Open SCAD is good for stuff like top punches because you can just change a couple of variables to get a new part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast