Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Township dumpster finds

Boolit Master

Township dumpster finds

Thanks to the folks that use are township dumpster and burn area,I come home with some goodies today.Found a big box of leather scraps some 1/8 in thick and soft buckskin type leather.Also a rotisserie gearbox with the rod.That brought the Macgyver out of me.I made a lead shot tumbler with it,it's slow as molasses but it works great for small amount of reclaimed shot.
    Last edited by jim 44-40; 02-27-2022 at 09:40 PM.

I brought a giant fish tank home from our local recycling center, Think 200 gallons! Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. LOL.I have no intention of putting fish in it.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

In the city, we had a transfer sight with big roll off containers we could dump in.
    When it was full, the city guys would haul it to the big dump.

I've come home with all sorts of stuff. A few high end duck decoys, some hard wood lumber, a box of vintage 12 ga. shotgun shells,
    lawn mowers I'd rebuild, even a almost new washing machine one time. I used it for a few years before it died.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Got our dump and remote sites locked down pretty well. Pretty sad what goes in the ground…

Moderator Emeritus

We have a city burn site and a LOT of nice pines were ending up in it. Then they started to disappear. Turns out a local had the same Idea I was thinking of, he bought a lumber mill and is milling them. Getting some nice knot free 12-16 foot boards 12" wide from some of them! And 2x4's off the edges that may have a little bark here and there... good enough for framing. He just started on an ancient oak, 4' diameter. the straight part of the trunk is 24' long! He had to order extensions for the saw bed to handle it. Beautiful lumber coming from that tree, red oak, he is making me some small strips I need to trim out a rack cabinet edge since he has a nice planer and can mill boards up to 16" wide. Stuff I need is coming from a small branch only 6" diameter, he doesn't waste much. If he can get a 4' board out of it he does it. He is coming over this week to skid a large boxelder branch out of the yard(went down this winter) after seeing a cross cut with the reddish "flame" effect in it. He will mill that into a square then cut it for turning blanks... guy is really creative and keeps a lot of good lumber from just being burned.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    We have a city burn site and a LOT of nice pines were ending up in it. Then they started to disappear. Turns out a local had the same Idea I was thinking of,
    Sharp guy. That reminds me:

A neighbor wanted/needed several big end over truck loads of dirt.... Until he got a price for it.
    He went to a road building crew, found out they were being paid to haul pull out dirt for the new road bed,
    and haul it to the city dump about 35 miles away. The truckers were paid by the load.

He offered to let them dump at his house a mile or two away for free.
    They got paid by the load to make the 70 mile round trip, no matter where they dumped.
    Dumping at his house, they got paid for a few more loads per day,
    and passed the savings in fuel along to their self---- everybody beat the system.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-27-2022 at 03:36 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    We have a city burn site and a LOT of nice pines were ending up in it. Then they started to disappear. Turns out a local had the same Idea I was thinking of, he bought a lumber mill and is milling them. Getting some nice knot free 12-16 foot boards 12" wide from some of them! And 2x4's off the edges that may have a little bark here and there... good enough for framing. He just started on an ancient oak, 4' diameter. the straight part of the trunk is 24' long! He had to order extensions for the saw bed to handle it. Beautiful lumber coming from that tree, red oak, he is making me some small strips I need to trim out a rack cabinet edge since he has a nice planer and can mill boards up to 16" wide. Stuff I need is coming from a small branch only 6" diameter, he doesn't waste much. If he can get a 4' board out of it he does it. He is coming over this week to skid a large boxelder branch out of the yard(went down this winter) after seeing a cross cut with the reddish "flame" effect in it. He will mill that into a square then cut it for turning blanks... guy is really creative and keeps a lot of good lumber from just being burned.
    Great to here not everybody is a wasteful person. I like this! We waste SO Much in this country it is disgusting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    I brought a giant fish tank home from our local recycling center, Think 200 gallons! Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. LOL.I have no intention of putting fish in it.
    If it is a saltwater tank, it is worth big bucks.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Waste Management contracts the public dump sites around me. Once your stuff is in the container it's theirs. They got you on camera and your subject to prosecution if you take anything from the container and banned if you put the wrong thing in the wrong place. If banned, you have to go to a pay site.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Waste Management contracts the public dump sites around me. Once your stuff is in the container it's theirs. They got you on camera and your subject to prosecution if you take anything from the container and banned if you put the wrong thing in the wrong place. If banned, you have to go to a pay site.
    EXACTLY the same scene in my neck of the woods. Recently, a friend's wife stood a usable door adjacent to a dumpster, and (video cameras ) in addition to being fined by the city, she had to remove it and then return it for "proper disposal" which included a $22.50 fee on top of the $14.00 they got to take the door. The fine was $25.00 PLUS a $50.00 sur-charge. Over $100 to throw out a GOOD -- solid wood -- entrance door. (And she was mortified fearing her name would appear in the local "newspaper's" "Police Blotter" column... )
    Productive entertainment for us way back when was a mid-afternoon trip to the dumps; find all sorts of marvelous items to take home; and then watch the bears come in to forage and play...
    The Good Ole Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    a mid-afternoon trip to the dumps; find all sorts of marvelous items to take home; and then watch the bears come in to forage and play...The Good Ole Days!!!!!!!!!!
    While on active duty, there was one guy from way up there in the far Northern unexplored regions of Not Texas.

He had a couple of pictures he took in High School of 'dump bears'.
    It was a big sport for them to hide on one side of a pile of trash at the dump as a bear would come along foraging.
    When it was straight across for them, they'd stand up, then the bear would stand up.
    They'd flash a camera to take its picture.
    The bear was stunned and razzle-dazzled by the flash long enough for the kid to run away.

I remember telling him I might be crazy,,,,, but not stupid enough to do that.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master
    Grandad had a guy come mow the lawn when he got too old to do it. Used Grandads Lawn Boy mower. The guy loved going to the dump and was gone for hours. He came back with some good stuf!!! He brought Grandad a broken Lawn Boy mower. Had a broken wheel, so got thrown away. Grandad had an old mower for parts, so I changed wheels, took apart the carb and cleaned it and cleaned out the exhaust ports. Ran like a top for years. Ran better than the newer one Grandad had!!

WM runs the dump here. No scrounging. There has been stuff that has been dumped that I would loved to have had and had a good use for.

Boolit Master
    We have that situation here.... The city landfill charges by the cubic yard, and rounds up liberally! Consequently, it's worth it to drive twenty miles to a rural transfer station that hasn't charged me more than 45 dollars for my biggest loads, and I tend to load heavy! That said, there is no scrounging allowed, much to my better half's relief!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    At the other end is an outfit that does electronics recycling. I've gone in there and dropped stuff off for free BUT if I needed a project box for something like a PID, they'd let me dig through the bins for whatever I wanted. They figure it will get put to good use and that's what recycling is really about. I carefully strip the parts that I don't need and return them with a sticker about the test values I came up with. Good Folks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    Make a great bait tank if you fish.

Boolit Master

My town dump saves me all the lead and gun stuff. I get rid of all the live rounds that they collect and cannot get rid of.

I also fix their guns when needed. Son and I also bring coffee and' every time we go there.

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    If it is a saltwater tank, it is worth big bucks.
    What's the difference between a freshwater and saltwater tank if it's empty and comes with no accessories?

Nothing.

Boolit Master

The local garbage transfer station here has a put and take section.
    One of the local dumps did too until an idiot got hurt scavenging in the metal pile.
    I would pick up several running lawn mowers ever spring and every fall. Take the water out of the gas tank, fresh gas, clean the air filter, and they would run.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Mold
    It seems I always find something to bring home from our Transfer station. A few years back a guy came in with a load of stuff after cleaning out his Father home after he died.... and tossed a WW2 MG42 into the scrape pile!!!! It was turned over to the Sherriff and ended up in a museum.

Boolit Grand Master

My wife no longer lets me go to the city dump ... without adult supervision .

She claims you are not supposed to come back home with more stuff than what you leave ...

That just doesn't seem right ... who wrote these rules ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast