Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1897 Shotgun - Need opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    I would not go less than 25" myself . Watch the pawn shops and older gun shops for the older Remchoke tubes , I have bought a pile of them new in the package for $2-$3 each . I'd do either regular blue or Parkerizing one or the other . Either would look more at home on that gun.
    Starting to lean towards park now

Saw the one on eBay….made several offers on the eBay option, price is…up there….

Boolit Buddy
    Had s 97, s great 12 ga. zonly it would go off half cocked,sometimes if bumped. be careful!
    BD

Well solved my problem, my gun club had a gun show today, went to see if anyone had a barrel, I’m walking around and find a norinco 1897 for 500, tell the guy I’ll think about it, walk to the back, see the husband of the wife I worked with for years and am friends with, he’s got a table there and his buddy has a gun case on the table talking to another guy, they finish up guy takes the case and under it is an 1897…….$400…..take down…….. holy $&&@. Life’s strange sometimes.

I’m going to keep that one original and cut and modify the first one without guilt.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchninja View Post
    Well solved my problem, my gun club had a gun show today, went to see if anyone had a barrel, I’m walking around and find a norinco 1897 for 500, tell the guy I’ll think about it, walk to the back, see the husband of the wife I worked with for years and am friends with, he’s got a table there and his buddy has a gun case on the table talking to another guy, they finish up guy takes the case and under it is an 1897…….$400…..take down…….. holy $&&@. Life’s strange sometimes.

I’m going to keep that one original and cut and modify the first one without guilt.
    Fitting a barrel to a takedown 97 can be tricky, due to the fact that rear 1/8 inch or so of the chamber is in the receiver (heading ring), while the rest is in the barrel.
    If the part of the chamber thats in the barrel is slightly larger in diameter than the rear part that in the receiver, there will be a slight bulge that keeps a fired round from extracting. This can be corrected by someone that has the proper tolling, but that person might be somewhat had to find.
    So before you dump a bunch of $$$ buying a barrel, it would be prudent to test to see if works on the receiver you're putting it on.

Boolit Grand Master

Concur with Eddie, 25 or 26" is as short as I would go. Should be plenty enough barrel for the screw in chokes is also what I would do. It also would need a higher bead installed than the original.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12