WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Coke" Smith and Wesson stocks

Boolit Master

I like the "coke" grips but modify them to fit my hand. I have a wide hand and short fingers. I have a set of Herett's Shooting Star K frame grips that are very old but have a very light color and not the best finish on them. I have owned 3 sets of Herett's grips and have always ended up re-finishing them because the grain was not properly filled on them. They were well made grips and fit my hand nicely. But, they are commercial grips and even if they use a poly finish, it takes several coats of finish to fill the grain. Also, each finish needs to harden and be buffed/sanded between coats. So most commercial grips do not fill the grain that well. Most of the custom grip makers do and that is one reason they cost more. Modifying grips is not that hard and you can get a much better feel once you have done one or two sets. I used a couple of really crappy, cheap sets to get started and for a learning curve. Worked out well for me. There is nothing like a great feeling in your hand with a nicely fitted and finished set of grips, especially on revolver(my favorites). my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master
    murf..how long did Herrett's say it would take to get your stocks if you ordered some...

Don't quite understand why S&W continued to have an IL on their guns and Ruger did but then dropped them.

Not sure if S&W even makes their own grips anymore... I know they used to because there was a picture of the machines in Elmer Keith's book SIXGUNS. But after they started using a lot of synthetic grips not sure if they do any more...even the wood ones..

Boolit Master
    Found a 8 3/8" 27-2 in a shop about 15 years ago that had a set of Cokes on it... The dealer apologized that it didn't have the original set of Magna grips that would have been numbered to the gun...and discounted the price...

Pulled the Cokes, found a set of period correct Magnas and sold the gun for $80.00 more than I had into it with the replacement grips...so basically the dealer paid me $80.00 to take the mismatched gun off his hands plus a free set of Cokes...

They are now on a 1965 M57 4" that someone had taken the Cokes off of and replaced them with the original set of Herrett's Detective stocks. They were moved to a 1980 4" 57...

Wish I could find deals like that on a weekly basis...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Wish I could find deals like that on a weekly basis...
    I wish you could, too, while I was standing next to you.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    murf..how long did Herrett's say it would take to get your stocks if you ordered some...

Don't quite understand why S&W continued to have an IL on their guns and Ruger did but then dropped them.

Not sure if S&W even makes their own grips anymore... I know they used to because there was a picture of the machines in Elmer Keith's book SIXGUNS. But after they started using a lot of synthetic grips not sure if they do any more...even the wood ones..
    They said it would take 6+ weeks to make them and they already have my hand profile on file. Sounds like they are pretty busy.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

I bought a set of Altamont N frame round butt 'coke bottles looking for something to replace the the factory grips on a S&W Model 627 PC 5". The hard edge and narrow grips (.210) less than then the factory Target grips on my 29-3 did not spread the recoil out enough in the palm if my hand shooting mild 210 SWC @ 800.

I've got some Hogue smooth wood grips coming and if those don't work I guess I'll try some Eagle grips.

The search for comfortable and affordable grips has lead me to start looking g at CNC Routers/duplicators to start making grips. This is going g to be a rabbit hole.

Boolit Master

I have been shooting S&W revolvers for 50 years and love the look of fine wood. But now days most of my Smith's have VZ Grips installed. Really like the look and function. VZ is also on a lot of my 1911"s too. GW

Boolit Master

+1 on the VZ 1911 grips. I'd like to try their 1911 palm swells but got two sets of grips on the bench for pistols being built and another in a box of parts waiting to start. That's it, I'll use them on a long slide 10mm build, lol.

Can you post or text some comparison picks and measurements of the VZ copy of S&W grips?