Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Island M200

Boolit Master

Rock Island M200

So, I've got about $1500 in OT on the paycheck, figured I could justify buying something to tinker with. The way things are, most any and everything needs to go into the family budget, but I don't feel too bad about spending a little bit on myself once in a great while.

I was at the local Bi-Mart and saw this little 4" steel frame .38 Special revolver, for $199. Yes, I know, cheap junk. Yes, I know, save up and get a Smith or a Ruger.

Well, I don't have the collections a lot of you all have, but for the average guy, I have plenty of nice older S&W revolvers. I just wanted something inexpensive to play with. I've been getting so tired of the fact that every dime I make no matter how hard I work is needed just to pay the bills. It's been getting me down, and retail therapy usually helps.

I looked it over in the store. It was busy that day, Black Friday, but the lockup felt good, timing was great, cylinder gap and endshake acceptable, trigger pull very acceptable. It was busy and the background check took a long time. When you buy a gun there, they walk it from sporting goods up to the front door, and hand it to you there. It was then that it dawned on me that the gun I bought wasn't the one I looked at. That's the display model; the one you buy is from a stack in the back room. Oh, well. When I got it home I checked it out closely, and everything was great except for a very slight cant to the barrel. With the front sight canted ever-so-slightly to the right, I figured it might shoot a little to the left. Being a fixed sight gun, I hoped not.

Anyhow, I finally got a chance to try it out today. It shot great. The trigger, double and single, is very acceptable. It's no S&W, but not bad at all for a cheap gun. I only shot a few cylinders at less than 10 yards, but it shoots very nice little groups, no complaints there. Of course all those nice little groups are centered a couple inches left at 10 yards.

I'm sure the manufacturer would say that's within acceptable tolerance, and it would probably cost more than it's worth to have a gunsmith remove the barrel and cut a few thousandths off the face of the shank to line it up right, so I guess I'll just live with it. You can't really expect perfection from a $200 revolver, I reckon.
    Last edited by fatelk; 12-08-2019 at 03:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have had some cheep guns. Some may surprise You on how good they shoot or last. Don’t know if you reload but keep the loads light and it might last a very long time. A good load would be a 120 to 158 grain lead bullet with a max of 3.5 gr of bullseye. I have now every bullet mold lee makes in 38 except one and only use three the most. Years ago I had I thank a. Lorcain 380 that thang I put 3000 to 4000 rounds through it. All cast bullets reloaded. I got actually very good accuracy out of it. And it held up great. Most cheep guns of the past 30 40 years ago where junk but cheep guns now seem a lot better. A also looked at the 200)$ 38 rock island pistol two Or three years ago. I found police trade in S&w model 10 and model 64 for 249:00 $ on my gun sites and got them instead . Got the model 10 one year and the 64 the next. Ism like you all my money goes to the family only very seldom do I buy me sompthing.

Boolit Mold
    Rock island makes good stuff. They make guns that are meant to be utilitarian tools, not shiny shelf ornaments and for that reason I like them.
    I'm planning on getting a M200 as my next pistol, big fan of RIA already. Currently have a 1911A1 GI model I bought this summer. I've got 500rounds though it and it's only given me issues 2 times due to 2 handloads that were weak. Fit and finish is good, no rattles, accuracy is good. I've looked over a M206 spurless a while back and I thought it was pretty damn good. Can't decide if I want the fullsize 200 or a 206 snub noes.
    Might try a different boolit/load to see if the group moves to the right?

Boolit Bub
    I found a 10mm double stack last year at the local pawn shop that I wish I hadn't.It outshoots both Kimbers .

Banned

point to ponder - a cheap but very reliable EDC is probably better than an expensive but very reliable EDC, because if a "deadly encounter" ever occurs, the EDC in question will be "authority evidence confiscated" and gone for quite awhile, if not forever.

Boolit Master
    The only thing I didint like about the rock island is the finish being dull. I could get the nice bright blue used S&w model 10 or the used model 64 in stainless. Of course sight unseen when ordered. But they did come in In great shape luckey I guess. But last I looked there $299 to 399 now. I also have two High point. Some people think there cheep junk. Well I got over 4000 rounds through my 9 and 2000 to 3000 through my 40. They are still tight and shoot great. I was shooting medium to high end loads in both guns but now ism getting older I like the light end of things so paper punching is all I do at the range. The nine gets the lee 115 gr mold or the 124 gr with 3.5 of bullseye very mild shooting. My 38’s get 2.7 but mostly 3.0 to 3.5 of bullseye now with doubble ended wad cutters up to 158 swc or rn bullet. also for a cheep gun check out the star bm for 149$ or the bretta 32 acp Model 81 for 219$ both are police trade in and mine came in great shape . The star is a all steel heavy but great pistole for 149$ another cheep gun I have that will not be cheep in a few years. Another cheep pistole I have is a Hungarian aluminum frame steel slide 9x18 makarov I paid 69$ 12 years or so ago. Now there 350$ Not all cheep guns are cheep. What I have seen if rock island is that they make good guns. And if there warranty is anything like high point you will never have a problem
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 12-08-2019 at 09:30 AM.

I was wandering through our local fleet farm and the salesman was showing this plain black looking revolver to a customer. He handed it back, walked away. I walked up and asked if I could see it. Yes it was a RIA in 38 special. Nothing much to look at with its black coating on everything. But the trigger, in single action it was IMO a near perfect 3 lb trigger, very small amount of movement, and a wonderful clean break. Double action was not bad. Little more force but decent.

240$ straight up and it was the last one they had so I took it. Shoots to the sights at 20 feet. No problems, The only thing it would not feed was a .357 that snuck into my .38 special box. I grabbed it in a heart beat, and would not be afraid to buy another if I had a use for another.

It currently sits loaded in a cast by my bedside table with a 100 round box of ammo sitting right next to it.

The only think I can say that is not positive, is that it has a bit more recoil and muzzle blast than my .32's. That's it.

But if you need a truck gun, fishing box gun, I'd grab one quick. Oil it good before you put it where it is going to live and it should last you for years.

I'm very happy with mine, consider it money well spent.

I did go on the RIA site and found a set of smaller wood grips that would fit. The rubber grips prevented easy use of a speed loader, and was a little bulky in my small hands.
    The wood grips swapped on in 5 minutes with no issues, and give a nice secure grip.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys, appreciate the good feedback. I have a custom Accurate mold for my .38s, a 125gr TC design that works well in my other guns, with a moderate charge of Bullseye or 231. I'll try a couple other bullets just to see, but I have no intention to try to hot-rod it. It's not rated for continuous +P.

I have been watching for a surplus S&W model 10 for a while now, debating whether I should buy one. I almost bought a fairly decent one at a show a few months ago. The asking price was $350 and while I was thinking about it, someone else swooped in and bought it. I've seen beat up old surplus police guns in emails from Aim and such, for under $300, but after shipping and transfer fees there's not much saving over just watching for one at a show. This Rock Island is no model 10 but I figured for the money I couldn't go too far wrong.

I do have a lot of other cheap surplus guns: Makarovs, Tokarevs, Nagant revolvers, CZ 52s and 82s, even a Beretta 92s that I got from Numrich a couple years ago for $199. That one is a favorite, one heck of a lot of gun for the money! I used to buy a lot of that kind of stuff back in the day, when it was cheaper and I had more money (or should I say spendable money). I once got two Ishapore Enfield rifles for $198 shipped, for the pair. I miss those days.

Boolit Master

I went out and shot a few more. In a little better light and taking my time, shooting at about 50', I was getting roughly 2" groups centered 2" left of POA. Based on that, I think when I get some time I'm going to shave the right side of the front sight. I'm pretty sure there's enough meat there to make it shoot straight.

I expect that the majority of buyers of guns like this would probably never notice a POA problem this small. I watched a review of the M200, and they shot it for accuracy. One of the guys especially was not a good shot. On the seventh trigger pull (empty), he had a very noticeable flinch. And his groups on target were embarrassing. I've noticed that this is pretty common for most people who haven't had some serious practice (most people). I also expect that most of us here are definitely above average handgun shots.

The RIA 200 interests me a lot. If I ever buy another revolver that's what it will be.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Grand Master

If the barrel thread isn't pined in location there may be enough to tweak it over with a little more force. I would call Rick Island and talk to them about it. From what Ice heard from other shooters they have pretty food customer service. Your probably only talking .008-.010. movement needed. this small amount of rotation shouldn't affect barrel cylinder gap.

I think Advanced Tactical in Pahrump, NV is the US importer/distributor for RIA, and I've heard they're very good at standing behind RIA products. Plus they have on-site gunsmiths and repairs. The barrel probably just needs to be snugged up a bit tighter. I did that to a Rossi levergun myself, by hand. Not a huge task.

Boolit Master
    I also got a Bretta 92fs when they where 249.$ Italian police trade in. Also had a nagant revolver that I paid 69$ for 13 years ago. A guy wanted it so bad so I sold it to him 315$ then I sold all my brass 700 or so brass cases for more money. Then I sold my lee nagant dies . I made enuf to almost pay for my two S&w revolvers. I liked that little revolver but it wasent near as good as the smiths. There good deals out there if you look

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I was wandering through our local fleet farm and the salesman was showing this plain black looking revolver to a customer. He handed it back, walked away. I walked up and asked if I could see it. Yes it was a RIA in 38 special. Nothing much to look at with its black coating on everything. But the trigger, in single action it was IMO a near perfect 3 lb trigger, very small amount of movement, and a wonderful clean break. Double action was not bad. Little more force but decent.

But if you need a truck gun, fishing box gun, I'd grab one quick. Oil it good before you put it where it is going to live and it should last you for years.

I'm very happy with mine, consider it money well spent.
    I looked over a RIA 38sp 4" at my local BiMart and had the same experience with the trigger, unbelievably crisp/no creep single action, amazing for a $199 gun, it's a no brainer.
    They also had a Charter Arms snubby that was decent but it was $100 more...
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

I took some vacation time this week, and got out to the range again this afternoon. I made the decision to just do this the easy way. If it was a nicer, more expensive gun I would have waited and done it right, but for this one I simply shaved the front sight down on one side. I shortened it a little too, so it shoots to POA with my favorite .38 load. Some careful filing and I got it dialed right in. It looks a little funky if you look at it really close with a keen eye, but the average person would never notice.

Attachment 252683

I'm impressed with the accuracy, for a cheap gun. I was shooting from a rest today, at 25 yards. Every group I shot was under 3". For kicks I shot one 6-shot group at 50 yards. 4" spread at 50 yards isn't bad, for a cheap 4" revolver. I think it's a keeper. This was before I had it completely dialed in:

Attachment 252684

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I think Advanced Tactical in Pahrump, NV is the US importer/distributor for RIA, and I've heard they're very good at standing behind RIA products. Plus they have on-site gunsmiths and repairs. The barrel probably just needs to be snugged up a bit tighter. I did that to a Rossi levergun myself, by hand. Not a huge task.
    I really thought about that, but the barrel is pinned. That makes it more of a task than I'd want to tackle right now. I'd hate to ask for warranty work, since it's really not that bad for what it is, and probably within spec by a lot of standards. I'm just picky, and like to be able to bust clay targets off the 25 yard berm.

Boolit Grand Master
    That will do!

Standard pressure handloads with cast 148 WC’s or 158’s offer good performance in 4 inch barrels, providing up to 870-890 fps with WC’s and 910-930 fps with 158’s. This will do whatever needs doing with a 38 and I feel no loss in capability with a four inch non Plus P gun.

An iron sighted 38 that keeps them somewhat under the size of the palm of my hand at 50 passes my field utility test. Looks like yours qualifies.

I had an Armscor bolt action .22 Hornet and the quality impressed me. I could always use another .38 revolver and your review has given me a good feeling. I’ve wanted a RIA 1911 but I don’t really need( haha) another .45 auto.....

Boolit Master

Check for a canted sight before you buy!

I'll be curious how well it holds up over the long haul. My favorite .38 load should be easy on it though: 125gr powder coated lead bullet at about 850fps.

I've been impressed with the ATI 1911 .45 Govt model that I bought several years ago. It's been reliable and accurate, more accurate than my vintage Colt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I took some vacation time this week, and got out to the range again this afternoon. I made the decision to just do this the easy way. If it was a nicer, more expensive gun I would have waited and done it right, but for this one I simply shaved the front sight down on one side. I shortened it a little too, so it shoots to POA with my favorite .38 load. Some careful filing and I got it dialed right in. It looks a little funky if you look at it really close with a keen eye, but the average person would never notice.

Attachment 252683

I'm impressed with the accuracy, for a cheap gun. I was shooting from a rest today, at 25 yards. Every group I shot was under 3". For kicks I shot one 6-shot group at 50 yards. 4" spread at 50 yards isn't bad, for a cheap 4" revolver. I think it's a keeper. This was before I had it completely dialed in:

Attachment 252684
    That is exactly what I would have done with that gun a little cold blue and off to the range with a 200.00 gun that shoots to the sights. A lot of my picky and seeking perfection is way in the past with my youth
    Good job.