Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Lyman M die and Lee 4 hole Turret problem

Boolit Buddy
    Had a problem threading a Lyman 38/357 M die into a brand new Lee 4 hole turret. I have the M dies in all my handgun set ups but this is the first this happened. The die would only screw in about half way then came to a dead stop. I didn't want to force it and ruin the Turret so I tried all the other 38spc Lee dies and they worked in all the holes. Then I tried RCBS dies and they worked fine. I new it wasn't the die because I had it in another turret set up for 357mag. After close inspection of the Turret there looked to be a thread sticking out past the rest about half way in the turret and this was in all the holes not just one. I took a utility knife and kinda shaved that high thread just a hair then run a wire pipe brush on a drill back and forth a few times then and wiped it clean. That did the job and it threaded right in. I only did one hole because the Lee dies worked fine in the rest. Just wanted to share this incase someone else has this problem.
    Last edited by jules; 03-10-2022 at 11:27 PM.

Boolit Master

Never had a problem with the combo, but good to know!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    Had a problem threading a Lyman 38/357 M die into a brand new Lee 4 hole turret. I have the M dies in all my handgun set ups but this is the first this happened. The die would only screw in about half way then came to a dead stop. I didn't want to force it and ruin the Turret so I tried all the other 38spc Lee dies and they worked in all the holes. Then I tried RCBS dies and they worked fine. I new it wasn't the die because I had it in another turret set up for 357mag. After close inspection of the Turret there looked to be a thread sticking out past the rest about half way in the turret and this was in all the holes not just one. I took a utility knife and kinda shaved that high thread just a hair then run a wire pipe brush on a drill back and forth a few times then and wiped it clean. That did the job and it threaded right in. I only did one hole because the Lee dies worked fine in the rest. Just wanted to share this incase someone else has this problem.
    Sadly, I do not believe you are the only one re this rodeo! Even with "name brand hi-$$" components I, too, have had to do some dressing. In the old days the products were often hand-tested by machines or quality-control persons. My dad had worked in quality-control, and where he worked for a while, management reckoned it be cheaper for them to just ship all out and deal with returns rather than have people ensuring quality so there'd be no returns. The way it is...
    geo

Boolit Master

I have had two "bad" turrets. They are made by Lee and cheap... need I say more?

I made a thread cutter outta a die body was able to '' repair" the turret.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I keep a 7/8 X 14 tap handy to remove rust and crud from dies holes on presses and to cure tight factory die holes on presses.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I would find a good (not chinese) 7/8-14 nut and thread it on the die. Does it go on all the way? With the turret, try a good (not chinese) bolt. That will give you an idea where the problem is.

BTW; I have 12 Lee turrets and none exhibits this problem. I have a couple dies that get "tight" installing in my C-H and or Pacific single stage presses, one is a lee hardness tester die. But the other 10 Lee die sets work just fine...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I keep a 7/8 X 14 tap handy to remove rust and crud from dies holes on presses and to cure tight factory die holes on presses.
    Good Idea. I may just do that.

Boolit Grand Master

Good Idea. I may just do that.
    Take care when using a tap to clean up threads. Unless one has experience using taps and dies it is very easy to "recut" threads and either wallow out the internal threads (cut then too big, especially on aluminum) or recut the threads on an external thread. Think about "Thread Chasers" or "Thread repair files"... https://www.mcmaster.com/thread-chas...tion~internal/
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Take care when using a tap to clean up threads. Unless one has experience using taps and dies it is very easy to "recut" threads and either wallow out the internal threads (cut then too big, especially on aluminum) or recut the threads on an external thread. Think about "Thread Chasers" or "Thread repair files"... https://www.mcmaster.com/thread-chas...tion~internal/
    A 7/8 X 14 is a very big tap with coarse threads. Just put some lube on it and screw it in by hand until it stops. Then use a wrench on the big base and screw it on though. No chance of boogering up threads this big and coarse.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Get a 7/8 grade 8 bolt, lube the threads and thread it through. Use a grade 8 not for the hardness but because it will be made to a closer tolerance than a lower grade bolt.

It the threads are still tight on a die then add a little non-imbedding lapping grit to the bolt to loosen the threads a little more. Standard lapping grit would imbed in the aluminum of the turret and continue to lap the dies during installation and removal.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Or call Lee. Especially if one works and another doesn’t. They know as well as anybody that some out of spec parts are slipping through the cracks with all the sick days being taken. Got a bad shellholder a couple weeks ago and they sent me a new one no questions asked, and no need to return the old one.

Boolit Buddy
    I wasn't sure that what I done to the turret would affect it's use in the long run so I sent Lee an email stating the problem I had. In less then 2 hours I got a reply that a new 4 hole turret was on it's way. No return necessary. This is another reason I use Lee.

Boolit Master

Now you can work on that free turret you have in hand without worry.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Now you can work on that free turret you have in hand without worry.
    Yes sir!

Lee doesn't bother drilling or boring the holes in the turrets. They just run the tap through them as cast. You often get some flash on a thread or two that hits the root of the thread. Worse if the tap has wear on it.

Boolit Buddy
    Well Gents! Went to set up the new Turret that Lee just sent me and evidently it wasn't checked. It's even worse then the one I had problems with. I guess they don't check their product for fit. This one was even tight with the Lee dies but they did thread in. Don't do any good to have even the best customer service if they continue to send something that don't work. I'll try and find someone with a 7/8 x 14 tap.

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess we can now put this to bed. Tolerance stacking between manufacturers is not unheard of… each one has its own corporate set of manufacturing tolerances and specifications, and you have run headlong into the Lee-Lyman interface. Although I myself have been known to frequently cross color lines between red, orange, green, etc, if it produces a clash, I usually try to retreat to using all one company if possible. BTW, the fact that chasing the threads in your Lee turret with a standard tap makes things work should give you a clue as to whose tolerances are most accurate, huh?

On a more germaine note, why is this whole thread about presses and dies place with the HAND TOOLS section instead of some place appropriate like say, RELOADING EQUIPMENT, for instance? Any comments, from the moderator??

Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Well Gents! Went to set up the new Turret that Lee just sent me and evidently it wasn't checked. It's even worse then the one I had problems with. I guess they don't check their product for fit. This one was even tight with the Lee dies but they did thread in. Don't do any good to have even the best customer service if they continue to send something that don't work. I'll try and find someone with a 7/8 x 14 tap.
    "Pay cheap, get cheap" as my Grandmother used to say.

Boolit Buddy
    On a more germaine note, why is this whole thread about presses and dies place with the HAND TOOLS section instead of some place appropriate like say, RELOADING EQUIPMENT, for instance? Any comments, from the moderator??

Green Frog[/QUOTE]

That would be my fault for posting in the wrong forum. Thanks for the heads up. Not sure how to move it.