Boolit Grand Master
    not sure the make of my gun but I know it's not a HF gun
    works slick as snot
    I just coated some of my MB 550 traps with bacon grease
    that will replace the need to dye and wax but time will tell
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Question on eastwood powder? How do they ship there powder ?

In Bags or bottles ?

If bottles will they fit on the eastwood gun ?

thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Sasquatch I did the shake and bake till just recently. Like you I got coverage but some spots with no color. I have gone to using my HF wet tumbler to coat my bullets now. I take a plastic sandwich baggie put my bullets / just a few BB's / maybe a 1/4 ts of powder, into the tumbler drum. And let it tumble for only a couple of minutes. And the bullets come out better coated than the shake and bake method.
    Number and size of bullets? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    Question on eastwood powder? How do they ship there powder ?

In Bags or bottles ?

If bottles will they fit on the eastwood gun ?

thanks
    When I bought mine it came in a heavy plastic ziploc type bag. I only got half of a pound.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Like I said, all the plastic 1 lb gun powder containers will fit the Eastwood guns

Dumb question, but one that's been nagging me....

Shake & Bake in a sealed container leaves no residue ( I can do the 60-sec Cha-Cha in my living room )
    While PC guns rain overspray everywhere/everything.
    Outside application only?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'd say yes.... outside only. It does get dusty. I like the perfect coating from my spray gun, using any powder, but to each his own. If S&B works best for anybody's application, go with that.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post

Shake & Bake in a sealed container leaves no residue ( I can do the 60-sec Cha-Cha in my living room )
    I do mine inside you can adjust the amount of spray it emits and its not like your continually on the trigger
    I made a little spray booth out of a cardboard box so you don't need anything fancy
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Vendor Sponsor

yes my entire garage was covered in fine PC dust before I realized it. made floor to ceiling curtain I can pull around my PC turntable and when using the PC gun I open the garage door and have a fan pulling air out the garage
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    If you decide to go for a gun get the Eastwood Dual Voltage, but realize the air going into the gun is the key factor. If you can't dry the air you are going to have problems and these cheap so called separators are a worthless but air drying is another topic. I spray in a 3x3x3 DIY open one side booth and my spray is completely confined, but that is also another topic.

A gun will produce a beautiful even finish. Here is an example of preheated and sprayed Hollow Points sprayed and cooked on my "Bed of Nails".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014_1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	298587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002_1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	298588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003_1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	298589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008_1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	298590

When I want to crank out thousands of bullets I use the shake & bake in one of two tumblers I converted 10 years ago.

A regular tumbler is too aggressive for PC. Yeah, you can use a tumbler, but notice your powder is a darker color? That is because of the lead dust being rubbed off the bullets is contaminating the powder. But it is a simple to convert a tumbler allowing for more surface area and adjustment of the vibration. A plywood support frame, a #5 painters bucket w/lid, 1/4-20 screw, 1/2" cut to shape rubber mat, two all thread rods, nuts and shaped sheetmetal hooks. By adjusting the tension on the support rods alters the vibration level to a more gentle swirling action. Preheating the bullets under 140° and dropping into the running tumbler quickly gives perfect coverage. I coat 6-1/2 pounds of bullets at a time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1736.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	298591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1738.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	298592

Boolit Bub

Both Outside Only

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post

Both should be done outside. Try shake/bake with the sun coming at the right angle and you will see small amounts of PC leaking from your container no mater how "good" the seal is. If not right away, once you use the container a few hundred times and the seal starts to break down.

I've done both, spray involves more prep and cleanup, but the quality of the finished product is 100X's better looking and repeatable and it also opens up the ability to use MANY more colors and powders. If you need screw on containers for the HF gun, Grizzly.com did have the exact ones with storage lids. I bought a dozen, back in the day, so I could store multiple colors w/o cross contamination. This also reduced clean up since you don't need to clean out the containers when done.

Boolit Buddy
    I just finished powder coating bullets 2x so the color was somewhat even. However, an orange peel is on the surface. Is this typical of shake and bake PC bullets? What is the solution, spray?

Shake/Bake likely has nothing to do w/ what you describe
    See https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5099015 for normal result)

I looked back through your posts but could not find what powder (or baking technique) you were using.
    Can you tell us that info...maybe post a picture?

Boolit Buddy
    Does the HF gun work like a sandblaster?

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    Does the HF gun work like a sandblaster?
    I’ve been using the hf espc machine for years.

It works very well with a few rules to follow.

Low psi. (25) max for me

I only ever put 1/4 full.

If you use a compressor that uses oil you need a filter on it.

Non-stick aluminum foil

Don’t worry about having a extra heavy coat.

They look good and shoot great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I was looking at the HF unit. I have to buy a separate compressor for it as well? I thought that little box was the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    I was looking at the HF unit. I have to buy a separate compressor for it as well? I thought that little box was the compressor.
    No that creates the static charge.

You don't have a compressor already???? What kind of a man are you???

Vendor Sponsor

You will need to filter the air produced to remove ALL water and Oil or it will not coat very well. The tiny filters at go at the end of the airline will not be enough

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    You will need to filter the air produced to remove ALL water and Oil or it will not coat very well. The tiny filters at go at the end of the airline will not be enough
    Smoke is absolutely right! If you want to spray PC then the compressor air must be dry or you will have problems.

Since I live in the Gulf Coast humidity is a constant problem, excluding a few days a year. I personally built a bank of 4 vertically mounted 24"X2" PC steel pipe drying filters. The pipes are loosely filled with copper & stainless scrubbing pads. The hot compressor air runs in a series through the bank of pipes which cool the air quickly causing the to moisture to condense inside the pipes. The water is drained with valves at the bottom of each pipe. My air coming out of the bank going into the compressor's storage tank is dry.

There are YouTube videos of methods to dry the air. The simplest is filling a whole house water filter housing with a dessicant and piping the air through the filter. Since the PC guns run on less than 25 psi this drying method appears safe to me if a compressor regulator is used to drops the air pressure considerably before entering the filter. I use such a filter at my PC spray booth to further dry the air.

Just a warning, I see these Youtuber's running 100+ psi air directly into these plastic water filter housings, but if that housing should fail you might be up for a Darwin Award, think "bomb" with plastic shrapnel.

As far as PC guns I started with a Harbor Freight and it does work, but a much better choice is the Eastwood Dual Voltage Gun. I run a 60 gallon 17 cfm compressor, but I also do other shop related things including pressure sandblasting, pneumatic tools, etc.

A much less expensive, small compressor will easily run a PC gun. I personally wouldn't be without a compressor, just to occasionally top off a tire when necessary.

One other note, compressor air hose gets the air to where you need it, but 1/2" PEX pipe is a less expensive way to plumb a garage or shop for air. PEX and the brass fittings easily hold pressure without leaking with a 600 psi burst strength. White PEX can be run around the ceiling corners and is hardly noticeable.

Vendor Sponsor

I have to agree with Dragonheart as well on gun choice . I have both the HF and the dual voltage Eastwood.
    The Eastwood is hands down a huge improvement over the HF gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast