Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Is anyone shooting Magma engineering 200g bevel base SWCs in .45 auto?

Boolit Man

Is anyone shooting Magma engineering 200g bevel base SWCs in .45 auto?

Been considering buying a Master caster set up for .45 auto boolits. I shoot 1911s, my brother has S&Ws and Glocks. Any opinions are welcome, Thanks

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Magma makes a nice machine. I've had mine since 2012. I see no reason why the 200 grain weight shouldn't work, but I only shoot RN in my Colts. Or unless you don't like a bevel base boolit.
    Last edited by MOA; 02-26-2022 at 07:02 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Is anyone shooting Magma engineering 200g bevel base SWCs in .45 auto?

I have shot a couple thousand of them out of Colt and Springfield 1911's. They feed and shoot just fine. Using a taper crimp, just do not over crimp them and they will function very well.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

Yea by the Thousands. H&G 68 clone. So my opinion is they are just fine.
    Last edited by Plate plinker; 02-25-2022 at 09:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    They work fine in most 1911"s. M&P does not like them. Glock does not like them either.
    They are about all that I shoot in 45's.
    I tend to cast several thousand bullets before switching to another size. Not saying the Master Caster is hard to set up, but it does take some time to get the unit set up for a new bullet.

Boolit Master

My Glock 21 eats them all day long. As long as we seat them to the right depth and give a modest crimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
    They work fine in most 1911"s. M&P does not like them. Glock does not like them either.
    They are about all that I shoot in 45's.
    I tend to cast several thousand bullets before switching to another size. Not saying the Master Caster is hard to set up, but it does take some time to get the unit set up for a new bullet.

Boolit Master
    I shoot thousands of them a year through my 1911's and Walther PPQ and most everyone I shoot with in IDPA & USPSA matches use the H&G 68 mostly from Magma machines.

Boolit Grand Master
    Another positive opinion in the Magma 200 gr SWC. I have shot a lot of them. Bear in mind nearly every commercial 200 gr .45 SWC you buy will be that bullet.
    Don Verna

Boolit Man
    Thank you gentlemen, I think I'm going to call magma Monday morning.

Boolit Master
    I have a master caster and Magma's #68 clone, (actually two of them). I think I've shot somewhere over 80,000 of them at this point. They work just like any other #68. Easy to make "major" power factor, feed well, and make a nice round hole in the cardboard targets. Like all of the #68 clones they also do not typically splatter much of anything back from the steel. A throat will help you seat them out far enough to be very reliable.

Boolit Buddy
    To answer your question, yes that is the perfect ACP boolit. OAL's might have to change between guns. I can't count how many of those I have shot in Bullseye shooting, Tens of thousands.
    Good luck on the master caster, I have heard they won't even take the order they are so far out. but that was a few months ago. Won't hurt to call.
    Tony

35+ years ago I had a Master Caster and a Star Sizer. I also started my path down the road of the 1911. Over the course of a year, I fired 10K of Magma 200 Grain SWC's down the barrel, zero issues. So if todays mold is the same as it was back then, I give it the nod.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

I've shot many over the years, but somehow developed a distaste for bevel based bullets. So most of the thousands I'd bought got melted down and I recast them with flat-based molds.

But hey, I prefer slender women too.....

Boolit Man
    Update, Magma machines are on backorder due to heating element availability.

Boolit Buddy
    i had wyoming casting company for three years. i have no idea how many of that molded boolit

i made but i could not keep up...i alone shot 51300 in a dave lauck long slide....funny thing is when i pointed it right thats where the 200 grain went...go figure.

Boolit Bub
    I was told the same thing about element's, and that they will not even take a order for a month

Boolit Master

Back in the day when my shooting buddy owned/operated the old Bull-X company and Bull-x was the second-largest (by volume) seller of cast in the country, the Magma 200 gr. SWC was his second-best seller...#1 was a .358 DEWC. Of course, that was before the rise of the 'wonder nines' when the .45 ACP was THE KING for both IPSC major and bullseye. From the mid-1980s through the late '90s, I presonally put around 12K to 15k a year downrange and a similar H&G 68 clone is still the 'go-to' for my 1911s.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I made a 5 gallon bucket full before I sold my 3 Magma Bullet Masters and I only have a few left,
    That does not count the ones that I shot during the 12 years I was doing commercial casting!
    They were one of my best selling boolits!
    I started selling boolits with my Master Caster in 1985 and I still have it!