Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What, if anything are you all buying in light of recent events?

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Didn't really do any. I pre purchased 25,000 gallons of red dye when it was cheap, kinda like primers and powder that everyone is seemingly distraught over - get it while it's hot.
    I'm actually quite confused about folks and their panic purchasing - don't you plan on being alive and living the same life day after tomorrow? If not, apologies and God Bless.
    If so, enjoy complaining about unobtainable things and prices that are now out of your reach.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I just have to ask: what will you do with 25,000 gallons of red dye?

I've topped up the dog food, made sure the pantry and miscellaneous stuff is stocked up. Got some repairs done on the truck. Already stockpiled what I can to get through the pandemic and try to hedge against shortages and inflation.

I put together the lower that has been awaiting my attention to match with a 6.5 Grendel upper. Tried it out on the nearby range today and it was jam-o-matic. Range officer who helped me unjam suggested a heavier buffer. So I guess I have trouble shooting this thing to distract me, heh. Once I get it running I will start on load development for it.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

I've topped up the dog food, made sure the pantry and miscellaneous stuff is stocked up. Got some repairs done on the truck. Already stockpiled what I can to get through the pandemic and try to hedge against shortages and inflation.

I put together the lower that has been awaiting my attention to match with a 6.5 Grendel upper. Tried it out on the nearby range today and it was jam-o-matic. Range officer who helped me unjam suggested a heavier buffer. So I guess I have trouble shooting this thing to distract me, heh. Once I get it running I will start on load development for it.
    Farm and ranch

Boolit Grand Master

We haven't really bought anything. We just maintain. I keep my reloading and shooting supplies stocked up. The Wife keeps the kitchen and household stuff well stocked. We usually fill up our vehicles when they get down to half a tank. We have several propane tanks full. The storage closets are full of TP, paper towels, Cat food, lots of bottled water, spare medicines except for the most expensive prescriptions. The freezer is full.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    I'm going to plant some seeds, too. Military bases near me so I don't worry about nukes (it will be a quick end or it won't happen, no point in worrying). I see very little point in gold and silver. Never in my lifetime would it have been advantageous to own either.
    Well, gold is up nearly 400% in the last 15 years. Silver more than doubled in that time. It's sure done a lot better than my savings account and CD's.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Well, gold is up nearly 400% in the last 15 years. Silver more than doubled in that time. It's sure done a lot better than my savings account and CD's.
    Primers up 500% in 10 years.
    Don Verna

Banned

It is dyed diesel fuel. Dyed to separate it from being used over the road. Farm only.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    It is dyed diesel fuel. Dyed to separate it from being used over the road. Farm only.
    Ahhhhh, that makes perfect sense. I was envisioning a swimming pool of red dye and wondering what on earth that would be used for.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Been prepared for some time, so not doing much at all. Waiting for sales and buying more when it makes sense.

I can go for 6-12 months if need be.

I was going to sell some of my “useless” guns but will hold off as their value may increase as the fools panic.
    I am saying the exact same thing as dverna...to the "T".

with that said, I did just dish out some huge cash to get two female kittens fixed. I'm thinking my local Veterinarian is also a reloader, and she wants to stock up on powder and primers, so she has raised her prices accordingly.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Long shelf-life food stuffs more than normal. Haven't bought anything gun-related since covid started......don't need anything.

I worry about cyber-attacks taking the power grids down. Read where an expert said a major attack could cripple the US grid for two+ weeks or longer. I have solar back-ups for several critical things (iPhones, ipads, small DC-powered refrig, lights, etc), but my main 8KW array will not operate it's converter without the 220 from the grid, so it will just sit there and the power will go nowhere.

Cyber is the main thing we all should all worry about, not how much lead you have in your stores. Take away the power/water/sewage basic functions we all take for granted and you bring a country to its knees real fast.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Long shelf-life food stuffs more than normal. Haven't bought anything gun-related since covid started......don't need anything.

I worry about cyber-attacks taking the power grids down. Read where an expert said a major attack could cripple the US grid for two+ weeks or longer. I have solar back-ups for several critical things (iPhones, ipads, small DC-powered refrig, lights, etc), but my main 8KW array will not operate it's converter without the 220 from the grid, so it will just sit there and the power will go nowhere.

Cyber is the main thing we all should all worry about, not how much lead you have in your stores. Take away the power/water/sewage basic functions we all take for granted and you bring a country to its knees real fast.

banger
    Really good point about power. I have a propane generator with its own 500 gallon tank. I can go two to three months if I only use it 4-5 hours a day during a SHTF event. It is plumbed so I can use the 500 gallon tank for the house if needed. Being on a well makes things a bit easier than depending on city water as long as the well keeps working. If the well fails, I have a river about .7 mile away for drinking water (have a Berkey filter) and there is a road that gets within 200 yards of it.

You cannot go much more than 3 days without water.

Been looking at getting an "off road" tricycle so I can get around without using fuel.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    We are living in a uncertain time for sure. My personal belief is that this whole deal is a way for those in power to deflect blame on the massive hyperinflation that is looming. Things are going to get crazy again, to what degree we don't know. With that in mind, what are you guys buying? I'm planning to place a order for some extra shotgun supplies. Really need some 3" hulls, but doubt I will find any. Maybe a Powder Valley order depending on their supply. Also placed a large (for me) order of silver bullion. Plan to top off all my gas cans tomorrow after work, and propane the day after. Made a unscheduled stop at Walmart for staple foods today. Not even a completely full cart, no meats, $340. Will probably stop and get a extra case or two of my Shiner Bock.
    What I do is not for public forums ! Stupid questions for serious times !/Ed

Boolit Master
    Nothing.

Not getting all worked up over nothing.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    What I do is not for public forums ! Stupid questions for serious times !/Ed
    Well you are half right....the question is not stupid.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Oh my gosh I just realized! Sorry, red dyed DIESEL FUEL (as several have said).
    That would be a whole lot of dyeing to do!

Boolit Master
    I've been buying Russian steel case 223 Rem and 762x39. Usually I shoot reloads but I don't want to use up my primer stash. Russian ammo should dry up because of sanctions so the price can only go up.

Boolit Master

nothing....except saving my money and limiting my expenses
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master

What I'm NOT buying is all the excuses the left is throwing out ... It's All Donald Trump's Fault !

No I'm sorry ...I'm not an idiot , when he was president Russia , N. Korea or China invaded no one .
    We were energy independant , we weren't buying oil from Russia (how stupid is that ?) , gas and heating oil prices were low , inflation was non existant , my grocery bill was a lot lower .
    I bought ground meat , reduced on Sale ... $5.99 a pound ... that's not right Joe .
    Crime and killings are at a all time high and criminals walk free ...that's not right either
    I'm retired on a fixed incom and you are breaking my back ... let's go Joe ...Help Us Honest God Fearing American Citizens ...
    I'm no fool ...It's not Donald Trump's Fault ... you are calling the shots , you are doing this to me.
    Don't forget Joe ... I vote .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I bought ground meat , reduced on Sale ... $5.99 a pound ...
    I find chuck beef from time to time at 3.99/lb - so I buy a number of lbs of that and cube maybe half of it for stews and grind up the other half for hamburger meat. Saves a little money - I'm not particularly frugal but I enjoy that aspect of investing a little work.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Oh my gosh I just realized! Sorry, red dyed DIESEL FUEL (as several have said).
    That would be a whole lot of dyeing to do!

I cannot even imagine 25k gallons of off road diesel. I go through 100 gallons a year on my little 40 HP Tonka Toy tractor.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    I'm trying NOT to buy a FRT-15 Trigger... Wifes already voiced her opinion... Lost the "Beg for forgiveness" option.
    Wife is a bargain hunter, sent me to the local chain store for cans of beans $.44 a can.. half dozen each of 6 kinds.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast