Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well I lost my job today

Well I lost my job today

Well hello all sorry to say I lost my job today boss man doesn’t want me to carry I’ve been there for seven years carried every day and they said that I can’t carry no more so I lost my job how do you think I should go about selling my reload equipment because I’m gonna need some money

Vendor Sponsor

Don't sell it! Put an ad in Marketplace or Craigslist teaching reloading! As many new gun owners as we have I am sure quite a few of them would like to learn how to save money on ammo!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Gun View Post
    Well hello all sorry to say I lost my job today boss man doesn’t want me to carry I’ve been there for seven years carried every day and they said that I can’t carry no more so I lost my job how do you think I should go about selling my reload equipment because I’m gonna need some money
    Why did you have carry on your job?

Boolit Master

Well, if they tell you that you can't carry, then you leave the gun in your car! There aren't many of us who can carry at work! Given the choice to have a job or not, I'd leave my gun in my car, and have for a number of years before I retired. You may want to seriously re-think your priorities on this one. During those years when I couldn't carry, I ALWAYS had a folding blade combat knife in my pocket and took classes in how to use it.

If you truly want to sell your gear, put an ad in the Swapping & Selling section. If it were me, I'd wait on that and look for new employment first.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I see help wanted signs everywhere I go. Take being let go as a sign and move on. It’s their property; their rules. Strange how it took them 7 years to notice that you carried a handgun to work every day....

Boolit Grand Master
    Tough call. Not knowing your circumstance, my first thought would be to hold on to your reloading stuff. Who knows how difficult it will be to replace in the future. Might pare down to the essentials, but I'd keep what keeps your most useful gun running. As stated above, there are jobs available. I've had to work two and three at a time to make ends meet. Best of luck.

Boolit Master
    I am torn. Part of me wants to applaud him for standing by his principles and part of me wants to say that it's not a big deal... I have never been allowed to carry at a job and if I took that stance there are precious few places I could go to work.

If more of us were like the OP, things might be better than they are for personal rights.

I know a significant number of people who carry despite the rules. That requires being a hypocrite though, because you're not respecting the right of the owner to dictate what happens on their property.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    What was your job that you feel (felt) you needed a gun on your person? What kind of neighborhood are you in? You might look into a new career, such as law enforcement, if you feel you must carry a firearm. Good luck. As mensioned, everyone seems to be hiring now...even the police.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Sorry you lost your job, good ones are hard to find. I used to have firearms in my vehicle and occasionally when I got off work drive 5 miles down to the company’s rec center to use their 100 yd range but when 911 happened our waterfront [Pamlico River] plant sight security had to be upgraded [why?] and we needed civilian version of military id’s [TWIC], federal background checks, fences, cameras etc and no more firearms in the plant. I’m sure there were guns in vehicles but I never took that chance as they started doing vehicle searches at the main gate. My job and family’s future was more important to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Don't sell it! Put an ad in Marketplace or Craigslist teaching reloading! As many new gun owners as we have I am sure quite a few of them would like to learn how to save money on ammo!
    Let me double down on what Doug said. The NRA has online reloading training so you can be certified by them to teach. If you want to do this it is worth getting the certification. It's not only the factual information given but learning how to teach that is worth the effort.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I worked as a correctional officer for 20 years. If I had brought a gun on the prison property even in the car in the parking lot, I would have been fired and would probably have been in jail. Before starting that job I had to sign several documents saying what I wouldn't do. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do for many different reasons. If you feel it is more important to carry at work than to work where you were, I wish you luck in finding employment where they allow carrying on the job.

Boolit Grand Master

Do what I did .
    I started my own business . I got along with the boss real well . I put up a sign in my office that advised concealed caryy was welcome . Any one who wanted to carry could .
    You don't have to work for someone else . I found something people would pay me to do (draw plans for building houses) , they would come to me , tell me what they wanted and I would draw their plans for them .
    I'm sure there is something you can do ...discover what it is and turn it into a paying proposition .
    Never say ...I can't or say ... It's too hard ...you can do anything you want to .
    Many days I got up at 3 AM to finish a plan for 9 AM ... you work hard when you are the boss ...
    But I enjoyed every minute of it ... for 49 years I drew plans !
    I'm retired now , 72 and by choice not forced out ... Very Important ... Do Not Sell Reloading Equiptment ...that's no way to raise money , you are just having a little setback ...that's life ...Things will get better and if you sell your stuff ...you'll spend a fortune trying to replace it ...and you will want it back ...probably sooner than later ...Have some faith in your self ...You Can Do It !!!

I just read the post on teaching reloading ...Bingo , that might be a big winner . Put together a portable loading kit (Lee Hand Press) and you could go to them and teach ...people love it when you come to them and will pay for the service .
    Get NRA Certified and get the word out on web sites , flyers in gun shops ...gun stores will even pay to teach their customers how to use the new equiptment they are selling them ... They can have a reloading clinic at the gun store .... several ways of having lessonsand a personal instuctor is worth a dozen youtube video's with experts who dont know black powder from black colored smokeless powder ! I see new reloaders asking for "mentors" in their area ...that's a teacher / instructor ...
    Have Reloading Press ... Will Travel
    Call Texas Gun .... Your phone # / website
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-24-2022 at 01:40 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

The company I worked for enacted a no firearms on site policy. Why? Because upper management knew the way they were about to screw over the workers wouldn't be popular and they wanted to remain alive. I'd been carrying in my vehicle for years before that so I ignored their policy. The way I saw it it wasn't on their land, it was in my car and I had to get to and from. They weren't providing security to every employee during the commute.

They stated that they had the power to search vehicles. In such case I had the power to open my car for them, enter it and drive off. It never happened.

It was a lousy company that paid OK at one time. It's a much lousier company now, we had work and contract issues and they still treat their workers like something you step in and scrape off the bottom of your shoe. It's SAPPI in Skowhegan, Maine. Terrible place to work. I had a coworker who would say, "If my kids wanted to work here I'd kill them to save them the misery!".
    Let's go Brandon!

Moderator Emeritus

The owner thinks he has a safe workplace, evidently you don't. Your continuing to carry there, amounts to telling him he is a fool every time you see him. If it is known that you carry a gun at work his insurance rates probably quintuple. In today's environment probably the only place you can legally carry at work is self employment or an LEO. You have already shown the boss you won't do what he asks so say goodbye to a reference.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Gun View Post
    I'd recommend going back and asking the boss man for my old job back and leave the gun in the car . I have had jobs where I was allowed to carry , jobs where I carried because nobody said I couldn't , and a job where it was strictly against the rules . I carried where allowed and left it in the car where I wasn't allowed . I hate it as much as the next person but sometime you just need to follow the rules . Beats being broke and having to sell off my stuff .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Some cemetery workers got shot a few years ago and then we get threats all the time

I think they were looking for a reason to get rid of me of me and they don’t own the property the state of Texas owns the property a Board of Directors runs it it’s a cemetery

Boolit Master
    stuff happens. I guess what it comes down to. is if that job isa gone for you forever then what are you gonna do chit chat with us old retired pharts online or go out and get yourself another job. its not how many times you get knocked down in life that's important its how many times you get back up and get busy. kind of like boxing or football, if you get knocked down are you just gonna lay there on the floor or you gonna get back up and give it all you got to fight the good fight.

Part of my problem is that I was home schooled I don’t have a GED or high school diploma jobs I can hold are very limited but I’m looking at going for my GED .
    I was a backhoe operator for a cemetery and a funeral worker ..
    just south of here 2 cemetery workers were shot one was killed and we’ve been threatened several times and have to deal with families threatening families and fights at funerals and we’ve done a few gangbanger funerals where I stood behind a tree the whole time . Believe it or not but there was a guy killed just outside our fence he was gone down drive-by and there was a drug dealer that drove his car in to our fence and proceeded to run and drop a bag with a 9 mm handgun in it stuff like this happens around our cemetery all the time

That’s cool I never knew about that I’m part of the NRA so I’m gonna look into this

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast