RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman 310 7.62x54r question...

Boolit Bub

Lyman 310 7.62x54r question...

Hello,
    I have the correct primer seater for the 7.62x54r russian round, but I do not have a #163 MR muzzle resizer. Can I use the muzzle resizer from my .303 british set to muzzle resize this round? Has anyone else tried this? It looks like all the remaining steps can be done with the 303 set (.311 expanding and seating.) Let me know and much appreciated.
    Taylor

You might be able to do it, if all you're seeking to accomplish is to squeeze the neck above the shoulder, but you'd have to take care to stay away from the actual shoulder as the two cases are shaped differently. But if you're just wanting to reseat a new bullet it might work. I've never tried that specific operation (7.62x54Rmm in .303 British dies). I do have a large accumulation of 310 dies and tools, but do not have a 7.62x54Rmm set. My early endeavors at reloading that cartridge were done with an original Lee Loader tool, and you might look around for a set as they do come up on e-bay now and then. Also, just possible, you might find a Lyman set of 7.6 2mm dies intended for the Tru-Line Jr. press. Many of these will work in the 310 tool if you remove the decapping pin.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    Since 310 MR dies are designed to neck size (“muzzle resize”) only, if the neck OD of both cases is the same you should be OK. I would worry a little about the shoulder angle and more if the body of the case enters the die… is there sufficient clearance there? Of course, if it’s just the little short MR die, you should be good to go.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Coming late to the 310 party, I tend to look at the various die sets Lyman sold as more suggestions than graven in stone.

About the only die that is case family specific is the priming adapter. If you have something that is reasonably close, try it it just may work.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Coming late to the 310 party, I tend to look at the various die sets Lyman sold as more suggestions than graven in stone.

About the only die that is case family specific is the priming adapter. If you have something that is reasonably close, try it it just may work.

Robert
    ^^^ This ^^^ you may be a latecomer, my friend, but IMHO, you’ve nailed it!
    ��

Boolit Grand Master
    Mr. Amphibian, what got me thinking this way years ago was reading that the .222 and .223 could be loaded with the same set of dies with a bit of adjustment.

As a for instance I think (I have not tried it in real life) the set for .308 Winchester can be used for .30-06, if there is enough threads. I also think the same dies can be used for the .30-30 with the addition of a priming adapter and maybe the little collar that screws into the handle.

As I have said before, the Lyman 310 will never be my favorite way of loading, but it is a very viable tool. I just wish I had been smart enough to pick up a bunch of the orphan dies when they were $5 each at gunshows of yesteryear.

Robert

For jury rig muzzle sizing of 7.62russ I would try a 30/06 MR - it appears to be closest dimensionally to russ case -- shoulder to mouth -sthe 303 - 30/40 and others are smaller in diameter at the shoulder -
    I don't know how close lyman is with those dimensions --
    308 is also close but the nek diameter is larger - whoda thunk?
    got the dimensions from a book on case sizes and the print is small and we know how poor my eyesight has become - right taylorh -- can't tell a 5 from a 6 --

Boolit Mold
    Correct me if I’m wrong but does not the 54R use a 311 projectile, not a 308 ?
    In which case a 303 die is what you need to neck size ?
    Whatungarongaro te tangata toitū te whenua

Man shall disappear, but the land always remains

You are correct, but we size 308 to 311 for cast bullets --

The point is -- the mouth of a 303 MR die is too small to admit a 7.62 case --

Boolit Master
    According to cartridge prints, a 7.62x54R looks a whole lot like a rimmed version of a 308 Winchester (probably vice versa...)

It would not surprise me to find that one could use a 308W neck die in a pinch... Expander button... Well, the spec is a 309 jacketed bullet in the 7.62x54R... So it's pretty close. For cast, I'd probably choose the Lyman M die with an appropriately sized expander piece.

308 may work, though it appears the neck diameter of a 308 is somewhat larger diameter than 06 or 7.62 --- the 308 brass must have thicker wall --

all case and chamber dimensions are inexact -- original drawings, realers, brass ductility and springback, die tolerences and how and who measured the case vary --
    Maybe the measurers kids used his verniers for a spanner and the mics for a c clamp --

Boolit Grand Master

I do not know about a 303 set of 310 dies working for the 7.62x54R.

FYI for those interested; I do know the 308W dies work. I have my 310 set of 308Ws adjusted for that cartridge and to do 7.62x54R and they work fine with that adjustment for the 7.62x54R cartridge. I simple remove the #2 cartridge adapter from the handle as it is too small for the fatter 7.62x54R cartridge case. There may be an appropriate adapter but i do not know what it is. However, the tool seems to work fine w/o the adapter ring with the fatter case. Perhaps a 45-70 adapter would work?

The neck size decap die over sizes the necks for the 3.08W and most certainly for the 7.62x54R. With Norma cases, which have the thinnest necks, the sized inside diameter is .300. After using the expander die the neck insides run .306. That's still a bit much for .308 diameter bullets and certainly too much for .311 - .314 jacketed or cast. I've only loaded 50 cartridges of 7.62x54R once with the 310 dies while waiting for a regular set of dies. The loaded cartridges with 150 gr Hornady SP .312 bullets functioned fine in the M91/30 they had previously been fired in.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Yep - The #10 adapter ring is correct for 7.62 X 54R. Also correct for 45-70 & 33 win.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Mr. Amphibian, what got me thinking this way years ago was reading that the .222 and .223 could be loaded with the same set of dies with a bit of adjustment.

As a for instance I think (I have not tried it in real life) the set for .308 Winchester can be used for .30-06, if there is enough threads. I also think the same dies can be used for the .30-30 with the addition of a priming adapter and maybe the little collar that screws into the handle.

As I have said before, the Lyman 310 will never be my favorite way of loading, but it is a very viable tool. I just wish I had been smart enough to pick up a bunch of the orphan dies when they were $5 each at gunshows of yesteryear.

Robert
    That 222 set can actually be used for 221 Fireball, 222, 222 Mag and 223 by the simple expedient of adjusting higher or lower. What a deal!
    I encountered the same thing with 32 S&W revolver cartridges... "short", Long, H&R, and 327 Fed Mag. That's my current favorite because I am using it for all but the long obsolete 32 S&W ("short").

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Like I said, suggestions versus graven in stone.

That .32 set should also do the .32 ACP, except for maybe priming. I know the set of 7/8-14 Lyman dies I have for the .32 say they will do the S&W/ACP/S&WLong and H&R Mag. At least they did until the label fell off, might not work now.

The .327 Federal wasn't out yet when these were produced.

The 310 isn't my favorite way to load, but it is handier than using one of the handheld presses like the Lyman AccuPress.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes Robert, the Lyman 32 S&W L die set works with 327 FM as well. Same story with RCBS. I don't know about 32 ACP 'cause I can't find enough of those little buggers to make it worthwhile trying to reload them! Those cases just run off and hide in the grass when I shoot them.

Froggie