RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee Bullet and the 450 Bushmaster which mold?

Lee Bullet and the 450 Bushmaster which mold?

Do any of the Lee 45cal molds seem to work well in the 450 Bushmaster, for use in a bolt action rifle? Pistol or Rifle mold.

No reason the 452-230-2R wouldn't feed well as a plinker. The 255-RF would probably be a better hunting mold, just watch where you crimp as to not hit the crimp groove and throw off the case mouth headspacing.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master
    I have loaded the 452-255 RF mold for a fellow hunter and he took deer with it. Claimed it shot well and dropped them fast. Think his gun was a ruger.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Don't have the 255gr yet but do have a 230gr RN and a Lee 340gr made for the 45/70

Boolit Master
    The 230 should work just fine.

Somewhat related, so I thought I would ask for actual experience:

How is it to use cast bullets in a AR with the production gas system?
    Does it work out OK, or is it a really bad idea like some have told me?

Not concerned about occasional use, more about routine use experience and how it goes with range sessions of 50 or so and if complete teardown is needed to flush the gas system.

Boolit Master
    You said it. The gas system is the issue. Shaved lead can fill the gas port not just get it dirty. If you Powder Coat the projectile it is all good. I would not run a Gas Checked bullet. I have dropped a few thousand or so PC bullets down some AR and 50AE barrels without issue.

So will it work? Yes until it no longer does.(for lubed lead) If you PC projectiles, you should be fine.

Thanks for the response based on your experience "Outer Rondacker".

I didn't really state my question well,as I was asking about conventionally lubricated cast lead bullets, but you answered any way.

I shoot mostly bolt rifles and revolvers, and have used a lot of cast, but now and then I look at an AR and think '...well...', then I stop myself. I just don't see much of use in my shooting or hunting that isn't covered that an AR platform would fill.
    About the closest I came was in considering two very different iterations: AR 15 in something like a 450 Bushmaster, or an AR 10 when JD Jones used to convert to WSM. I always thought an AR 10 in 325 WSM would be quite the performer, but then I think: I could get a couple nice bolt guns for that...

Boolit Master
    I would like to do more with the 450BM but the lack of brass in my area keeps me from diving in. Like I said the neighbor has one and I like it. Straight wall cases just do something for me.

Does anyone have a few loads for the 230gr and 340gr Lee Bullets? They will be PC. Just going to shoot paper mostly. Have Unique, Lilgun, and some Imr 4227 and 4198 if these will work?

Can anyone steer me to a few loads?

Boolit Master

I shoot a bunch of cast in my Ruger bolt 450.

From 200swc to 450 Lymans as a sub with Unique. My cast hunting load is a Lyman 330 HP with 5744 @ 1600 fps. My fav shooting load is Unique and a 350 Ranch Dog bullet. Smacks HARD @ 1200 fps!!

N120 is working well for me. 5744 & Unique I already mentioned no NEVER lil gun. To "spikie" and HOT burning. #9 was very accuracy but hang fires annoyingly. Clickbang very very close but decernable.

I also really like the 300 FTX bought as a muzzle loader bullet and N120 @ 1800 fps.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I shoot a bunch of cast in my Ruger bolt 450.

From 200swc to 450 Lymans as a sub with Unique. My cast hunting load is a Lyman 330 HP with 5744 @ 1600 fps. My fav shooting load is Unique and a 350 Ranch Dog bullet. Smacks HARD @ 1200 fps!!

N120 is working well for me. 5744 & Unique I already mentioned no NEVER lil gun. To "spikie" and HOT burning. #9 was very accuracy but hang fires annoyingly. Clickbang very very close but decernable.

I also really like the 300 FTX bought as a muzzle loader bullet and N120 @ 1800 fps.

CW
    what type of Unique Loads for the 230gr and 340gr? Like I had said just putting holes in paper around 100 yards.