Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 250gr jacketed projectile for Winchester Big Bore

250gr jacketed projectile for Winchester Big Bore

G'day gents.
    I have a Winchester 375 Bib Bore and originally purchased it with 100 factory cartridges, sixty of which were loaded with 250grns projectiles. I have used 40 of these on pigs and deer and going to keep the remaining 20 for prosperity. As far as I am concerned the 250gnr seems to be a better killer. It did boot some when I sighted it in from the bench. To get to my question, is anyone aware a company that produces a 250gr jacketed projectile suitable for the Big Bore?
    Any information would be most helpful.

Regards

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Barnes Bullets used to list one of their originals for the 375 Winchester 250 grain.

Boolit Master
    actually finding those barnes bullets must be a magic trick
    but from hawk you can actually get what your looking for

https://hawkbullets.com/bullet-selection.html

Boolit Master
    Sierra makes a semi flat point that may fit the bill, the Woodleigh is 260gr but is used with great success also Swift makes their A-Frame in 250gr.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch of 270 grain pills ive yet to try, although I have shot cast bullets that weigh that much. the problem is with the bigger bullets it reduces powder capacity. I think the sweet spot is 220 grain for the 375 win just as sweet spot for 44 mag is 240 to 260 grain or so and 357 mag is 158 to 170 grain.
    dont know about your gun but my bb is finicky about cartridge length, I had it jam pretty bad one time with wrong length and dont want to repeat such a jam.
    now my marlin 375 might be another story I haven't shot enough different kinds of cast though it yet to tell.

Les Vollmer makes some really good 38-55 and 375 Winchester bullets

https://vollmerbullets.com/products/...ts-w-cannelure
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    With the 375, you have to watch out for the bullet nose to crimp dimension. The 220 grain Hornadys were about 0.500" so the OAL of the cartridge is roughly 2.57" or so. Anything more and you risk a jam. Anything heavier than 200-220 grains and you do, as stated above, run into an issue where you can't get enough of the correct powder into the case without excessive compression.
    Sure wish Hornady would start making their flat nose 220s again. Or better yet, a gummy nose version with the correct nose to crimp dimension and maximum powder space.

Boolit Master
    ill never forget the first time shooting the 375 win. I found the gun at an old out of the way gun shop in Delaware. and then found out how scare ammo or brass was.
    it took quite a few months but a good friend that owns a pawn shop got in a load of stuff and sold me 14 boxes of winchester ammo for $200. went to the range. and braced myself, thinking I was ready encounter 375 H&H recoil, much to my surprise it was much closer to 30-30 recoil. It was just the kind of obscure caliber that ive always been attracted to and this gun was in like new condition it was not one of those old ugly rusty beaters that had been left under a pickup truck seat for decades.
    I bought both Lyman molds and the lee mold and like the gas checked bullet the best.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BobInAus View Post
    G'day gents.
    I have a Winchester 375 Bib Bore and originally purchased it with 100 factory cartridges, sixty of which were loaded with 250grns projectiles. I have used 40 of these on pigs and deer and going to keep the remaining 20 for prosperity. As far as I am concerned the 250gnr seems to be a better killer. It did boot some when I sighted it in from the bench. To get to my question, is anyone aware a company that produces a 250gr jacketed projectile suitable for the Big Bore?
    Any information would be most helpful.

Regards

Bob
    I'm in NSW ---sold my BB ages ago
    have a box with 49 Hornady 220grain, 14 x 255 grain dont know the brand but they just a straight side sp with a crimp groove correct location , and 13 x 255 grain with three cannelure grooves on the body between the base and the crimp groove all correct length and shape for 375 w or 38/55 , also a box of Hornady gaschecks (about 800) and a CBE 220grain Gas Check mold - was a double cavity - I converted one cavity to plain base - other side is fine - if you interested in this lot we can go to the trade page and do some pictures and figure a price .
    FWIW I found a softish cast gas check boolit at least as effective on piggies as the soft points - after the BB I got a 348 Browning and had a couple of disappointing blow up episodes with the 200 grain SP in it - blew a chunk twice the size of your fist out of the shoulder on those big old muddy boys and had to use a second to get it finished - the 220 grain gascheck out of that same gun rolled em properly. (just a thought here - and your wallet dont hurt every time you pull the trigger in practice)

In my big bore lever collection I have the 356 Win that is mint, as new, an early production issue and a great big bore lever. When I purchased this back in the 1980's perhaps, not sure of the year, I bought every box of factory 250 gr Win I could find. It is a fine bullet and a real killer, although I only killed one elk before the rifle was retired; don't as me why...

Sounds like my original calculations and review of data should be fairly spot on, 250g FN Plain base, powder coated, hard cast running about 2,000 fps should do piggy flopping pretty good.
    I need to get my brass trimmed and start casting them and the new Saeco 358s.
    The really hard cast, near 23, should hold the Win lands OK.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    ill never forget the first time shooting the 375 win. I found the gun at an old out of the way gun shop in Delaware. and then found out how scare ammo or brass was.
    it took quite a few months but a good friend that owns a pawn shop got in a load of stuff and sold me 14 boxes of winchester ammo for $200. went to the range. and braced myself, thinking I was ready encounter 375 H&H recoil, much to my surprise it was much closer to 30-30 recoil. It was just the kind of obscure caliber that ive always been attracted to and this gun was in like new condition it was not one of those old ugly rusty beaters that had been left under a pickup truck seat for decades.
    I bought both Lyman molds and the lee mold and like the gas checked bullet the best.
    My shoulder told me different! I had a 30/30, then got the 375BB - that one got my attention - I never ran it half throttle though - might have been recoil soft those days too, came to it from model 92's and a 22/250

Boolit Buddy
    In terms of availability in Oz you might find Barnes originals. Another local option is the CNC machined copper bullets made by ‘Atomic 29’, a local bullet maker. You can find him on FB. When he made some to suit the 375BB, they were trialled in NQld on pigs and scrub bulls and worked really well. In the end the weight settled on was 210gr and performance was impressive.

I’ve never bothered with jacketed pills in this cartridge and have always used cast. The moulds I have drop pills in the 250-300gr range. Cast in speed appropriate alloy they work well on game. For heavyweight designs look at CBE’s mould offerings. My top load pushes a 300gr pill (CBE 376300 FNGC) out at 1850fps.